ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: USA - Virginia

Registered Member TropicalCreations's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chris

Default Re: USA - Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Grenier View Post
    Hey Chris, There is the Potomac Valley Aquarium Society in our area. They have monthly meeting and the guest speaker in June is Discus Hans. Several members keep discus.
    I'm a former discus keeper thinking about setting-up a 90-100gal this spring so LMK when your fry are ready :-)
    I'm kicking myself for not jumping on Don's Stendker's Tefe fry he was selling a little while back.
    So Chris, what strains do you have?
    Very familiar with them and actually had a table at their last aquafest and some of my fry in the auction. I wanted to make to days meeting but still moving stuff .
    I keep the following pairs:
    Blue Diamond/ Royal Blue Turq
    Pigeonblood Pair
    Leopard/Red turq Pair

I've been gone learning " salt " and having fun with my 125g !! But I came across a deal on a 150g long and have enough stuff to put it together laying around to set up another Discus display - anyone around have any WILDS for sale I left the discus with being able to own a paired wild brown from Hans ! I would really like some 3 bar heckles again if they are around.. Sorry I been outta the circle

Real Name
    Chris

Default Re: USA- Virginia

Hello, I would like to let everyone know that there is a new discus group in the US. MADA is a group that has been discussed a lot and now moving forward with it. We are based in the Mid- Atlantic region of the US and just a bunch of discus keepers who wish to get together and talk/ share our experiences with other discus keepers over food/ drinks. By no means am I trying to take away from other local fish clubs but think it would be cool to have a group of people who are into Discus. We would work beside ALL clubs to help both of our clubs grow together and spread our passion for fish/ plants across the Mid Atlantic. This group would meet at different peoples houses across the area for our socials and meetings. If you are interested in joining or wish to know more please feel free to email us at midatlanticdiscus@gmail.com

Registered Member Larry Grenier's Avatar

Hey Chris, Mid-Atlantic is a big area. Where/when is the 1st meeting?

Registered Member Larry Grenier's Avatar

Hey Chris, Mid-Atlantic is a big area. Where/when is the 1st meeting?

Discus-VA-757 - An alternative to actual wilds would Stendker Tefe, Alenquer, & Santarems that Hans sells near Baltimore. Wilds are almost always found on Aquabid by a seller named Snookn21.
    Last edited by Larry Grenier; 03-20-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Registered Member

New to the forum and Discus in general. Live in Yorktown, Virginia.
    Shane

Registered Member

Hi Don,
    I also live in Fairfax VA. Might be nice to talk to someone local about Discus. Have you ever attended a Potomac Valley Aquarium Society meeting. We meet in Fairfax at the Green Acres school near George Mason. We have a huge auction this Saturday April 5th. We have several Discus lovers and will have Hans Discus speaking at one of our meetings (May or June). Would love to meet you in person.
    Susan (Smudge)

Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    Hi Don,
    I also live in Fairfax VA. Might be nice to talk to someone local about Discus. Have you ever attended a Potomac Valley Aquarium Society meeting. We meet in Fairfax at the Green Acres school near George Mason. We have a huge auction this Saturday April 5th. We have several Discus lovers and will have Hans Discus speaking at one of our meetings (May or June). Would love to meet you in person.
    Susan (Smudge)
    Hi, Susan,

I haven't attended any PVAS meetings, but I've heard of them. How long have you been a member? Are discus your main thing, or just a passing interest?
    Some of us are thinking about opening a Mid-Atlantic Discus Association in the near future, and we'll probably start with a meeting at someone's house in the area. George Mason is only about 2 miles from my house, but this Saturday is not possible for me, otherwise I would have come. We'll be in touch. -Don

Real Name
    Chris

Ill see you there Susan and can tell you more about MADA

I was able to sell off all my 125g salt set up and got this 220 drilled with wet/set sump everything is from AGA I'm very happy to become a Discus keeper and. I have 240 pounds of rock I will scape out this weekend and *** water to cycle for about 2 months with tank mates before adding Discus !!

Def going with Hans Tefe , I miss have wild browns and heckles
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Hi all. In Chesapeake. Have 6 of Hans discus and am looking to add 2 more to the tank. If anyone has a couple discus they want to find a good home for, I will be glad to provide the home. I am not a breeder. I have a very nice planted acrylic show tank. Send me a pm if local and maybe we can get together and figure out something.

Real Name
    Mike DiGirolamo

Hello All,

I'm here in Charlottesville, VA. Would love to talk Discus with any of you who might be nearby. I raised these fellas in the early 1970's to help offset college expenses. I haven't had a tank in the house since the late 70's. I've been looking around and I'm absolutely shocked to find the spectacular intensity and variation of the hybrids today. I was particularly impressed with Kenny's Discus. I doubt we have anyone like him on the East coast? I showed some youtube videos to my wife last night and she was also impressed. I'll be deciding on a place to put the new tank and scouring Craigslist for a good size one.

I'm retired so feel free to email me at DrD (at) 2020 (dot) com. I hope it's okay to post my email address? I'm a newbie on the forum.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MIke D View Post
    Hello All,
    I doubt we have anyone like him on the East coast?
    Mike
    Hi Mike and welcome to the Forum. You have found what will be your BEST resource for discus. As far as great fish houses on the East coast, look up Discus Hans -http://www.discus-hans-usa.com/ . He is in Baltimore and is one of THE best to do business with. There are a few other sponsors you can find in the Sponsor section, however I think Hans is going to be the closest.

Welcome back to the Hobby!

Greg
    ​Greg

Ha! I see Greg beat me to the punch pointing you in the direction of Discus Hans!

Quote Originally Posted by Don in Virginia View Post
    Ha! I see Greg beat me to the punch pointing you in the direction of Discus Hans!

Slow day at the office surfing Simply is my favorite guilty pleasure at the office.
    ​Greg

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast