AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada - British Columbia

Default Re: Canada British Columbia

heh corrosionjerry..are you the jerry expecting discus tomorrow? theres plenty of work in vancouver..you could get a job on every block . all of downtown is a sea of cranes . the olympics are coming. : ) maybe you could move a bit more west.

Registered Member

LOL... that would be me april !

I probably will move west in 3-4 more years... I started out in Saskatchewan and moved to Alberta when I was 25 or there abouts to find work and I plan to move to the interior or coast when I able to retire in about 4 years...

I actually love BC / to bad the tax's are so high... good to hear that the Olymipics are driving the economy along..

I am looking forward to recieving my Discus order tomorrow!

Registered Member

Hey! A little groupie thing going on here!! Marius and I hide out in Burnaby, I know there's others in this part of town.

My last 2 discus buys were from April, some via Kenny and a few more from Hans. Good luck to the soon to be discus owners and keep up the good work to the existing discus keepers.

Ed

Registered Member

hi Kenny! Im thinking most of my discus came from you - bought from April. You can see them at www.photobucket.com/Gwynneth.

Cheers!
    13 Discus, 17 bettas, 1 beardy, 2 cats, 4 rats, 1 horse, 25 g community tank, 1 fahaka, 7 pea's and 2 southerns...it just doesnt seem to be enough!

"Ive learned from experience..whats your excuse?"

Registered Member

Hello everyone,

I am also in B.C. and fairly new to discus keeping but I am really enjoying it! Once you start buying discus, it's hard to stop!
    Great fish, great forum, great people, great advise... what more could anyone ask for!

Welcome platinum, couldn't agree with you more once you start buying its hard to stop, would love to see some pics.
    Discus Have Such Interesting Personalities

platinum is the winner of the butterflies from the chinese earthquake auction. i tried to keep them..but...she wanted them shipped . nice fish.

Hi there, I'm from the Beautiful City of Burnaby where the grass is green and the chicks are pretty (jk lol).

I've just spoke with April about an hour ago as I am interested in getting into Discus. I have kept fancy gold fish and Aruanas for years before I came to Canada. Before, I was hesitant to get into Discus keeping because as they say it's aint easy to raise them plus the fact that it is pretty expensive way back home.

I'm so excited after knowing that there are lots of Discus hobbiest here. For sure I will be bugging you guys from time to time.

Cheers.

Mylon

hi there..again. where was home? they arent that hard..just clean water. read all the stickies in the beginner section. you should do fine with them.

Hi April,

I'm from Manila, Philippines but here now in Vancouver for good (as they say, "The most beautiful place on earth")

I have been reading the posts here about a week now (while waiting for my new tank to have a complete cycle so I could put several Kings of Acquarium there).

Thanks for sharing your tips.

Welcome Mylon! April is the master! God knows what I would do without her , she is such an inspiration and so knowledgeable & has helped me countless times.

Looking fwd to seeing some of your discus when you get them via pics.

Thanks Kim for the warm welcome.

Cheers!

Mylon

Your very welcome Mylon

Hi Everyone,

Yahoo! Finally I got my first Discus(es)!!!!!

I just want to share "my discus experience."

After more than a week of monitoring my ph level of my newly setup 90G tank, I'm a bit hesitant to throw in some fish in there. For some reasons my ph level is slightly higher than the my tap's ph (6.8), I think the culprit is the little gravel that I put in my tank. I do testing 2x a day, in the morning and at night for the past week and gave a constant ph level now for the past 5 days now. I even sent a water sample to my wife for testing as she works in a lab.

I asked the Discus guru (April) if this is safe, and she said as long as the ph level does not rise or drop, you'll be fine. So I went to April's shop and grab 8lovely juviniles, she gave me a pretty good deal, chuck another one to make it nine plus a whole bunch of free goodies.

Day 1.

So I rushed home with 9 lovely prince & princess of aquarium.

After the babies arrived in their new "home" they just stay in one corner, I'm a bit worried that they may not like the ph level and they might suffer from stress. Until after a couple of hours, one fish started moving to the right.... mmmm she might be hungry looking for food. I was tempted giving them food rightaway... but no! Some other prince/princess follow, then they started their new condo tour, the first one being the realtor

I noticed after another 4 hours that everybody is kinda used to their new condo. I gave them a pinch of frozen blood worms to check their appetite, I was surprised the food is gone in a minute. I was so happy and relieved that they have adjusted to their new environment. I called it a night.

Day 2.

I woke up early and immediately checked my new tenants, mmm. they look relaxed. I grab a pack of frozen blood worms from my freezer and gave them a thumb size, again gone in 60 seconds. I gave them another pinch, i noticed that it took them longer to finished it. I decided not to feed them again as they might not be able to finish it. After lunch I noticed that some of them are digging out the thin gravel that I put. Mmmm. time for lunch. I gave them 2 thumbsize frozen blood worms same story... o man they love to eat!

To be continued....

Real Name
    Francis

Thanks for sharing your experience with us and glad you got some nice discus from April.

Cheers
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by ltgoof View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Yahoo! Finally I got my first Discus(es)!!!!!

I just want to share "my discus experience."

After more than a week of monitoring my ph level of my newly setup 90G tank, I'm a bit hesitant to throw in some fish in there. For some reasons my ph level is slightly higher than the my tap's ph (6.8), I think the culprit is the little gravel that I put in my tank. I do testing 2x a day, in the morning and at night for the past week and gave a constant ph level now for the past 5 days now. I even sent a water sample to my wife for testing as she works in a lab.

I asked the Discus guru (April) if this is safe, and she said as long as the ph level does not rise or drop, you'll be fine. So I went to April's shop and grab 8lovely juviniles, she gave me a pretty good deal, chuck another one to make it nine plus a whole bunch of free goodies.

Day 1.

So I rushed home with 9 lovely prince & princess of aquarium.

After the babies arrived in their new "home" they just stay in one corner, I'm a bit worried that they may not like the ph level and they might suffer from stress. Until after a couple of hours, one fish started moving to the right.... mmmm she might be hungry looking for food. I was tempted giving them food rightaway... but no! Some other prince/princess follow, then they started their new condo tour, the first one being the realtor

I noticed after another 4 hours that everybody is kinda used to their new condo. I gave them a pinch of frozen blood worms to check their appetite, I was surprised the food is gone in a minute. I was so happy and relieved that they have adjusted to their new environment. I called it a night.

Day 2.

I woke up early and immediately checked my new tenants, mmm. they look relaxed. I grab a pack of frozen blood worms from my freezer and gave them a thumb size, again gone in 60 seconds. I gave them another pinch, i noticed that it took them longer to finished it. I decided not to feed them again as they might not be able to finish it. After lunch I noticed that some of them are digging out the thin gravel that I put. Mmmm. time for lunch. I gave them 2 thumbsize frozen blood worms same story... o man they love to eat!

To be continued....

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast