ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Canada - Ontario

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jonathan

Default Re: Canada - Ontario

Hey Everyone , I'm Jon. I'm From Toronto. I've had the pleasure of meeting a few of the members here and what a great group that we have !

Just got back to Toronto after being away for 4 months (I'm a snow bird). What happened to the Canadian discus forum? When I tried to log on it is directed back to SD.
    Ralph, Poco do you guys know what happened?

Registered Member

Hey Moon,

Think it died. Not too much traffic at all.

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Just got back to Toronto after being away for 4 months (I'm a snow bird). What happened to the Canadian discus forum? When I tried to log on it is directed back to SD.
    Ralph, Poco do you guys know what happened?
    Welcome back Joe.
    CDA and Darcy are taking a break for now. I know Darcy had some medical issues but not major and just wanted to close shop until he is at full strength.
    As for Babar...have not heard from him for some time.

Cheers,
    ...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Vansu

Hope CDA will be back soon. Get well soon Darcy.

Real Name
    Fred

I thought CDA was a great idea. The truth is only a handfull were really animating that forum. It will not come back unless canadian discus fanatics make it happen.

Cheers
    Fred

Registered Member

I am now living in GTA. Been a member of SD for a while. Just set up a tank....partial planted. 3/4 bare. RO water + tap (50:50). Been cycling for a week now. So now I am ready to get some 5" discus. So where can I buy them in GTA?

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by pete123 View Post
    I am now living in GTA. Been a member of SD for a while. Just set up a tank....partial planted. 3/4 bare. RO water + tap (50:50). Been cycling for a week now. So now I am ready to get some 5" discus. So where can I buy them in GTA?
    Good to have you back Pete. My only recommendation is to stay clear from any LFS.
    Besides some local breeder / hobbyist that maybe floating around the GTA...you may want to look into Rick Grange http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ew-Photo-Heavy!!!

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member

Why stay clear of LFS?
    Heard of Lucky Aqua at Pacific Mall? Any good.

Registered Member

No...I would stay clear of that place. But that's just me. You have Vern and Bob and you can order from King fish imports.

Real Name
    Ralph

The only advice I can offer to back-up my statement is you will not get a clear answer from LFS as to what source they are from. Just like puppy-mills, they are only in business to make a quick turn-around and in most cases are on a central system which transfer illnesses from other tanks.
    Buying directly from a breeder or breeder distributer will ensure you get healthy and quality but also come at a slightly higher price tag.
    And YES I have gone to Pacific Mall, Big Al's...etc just to look but will never buy.

...Ralph
    -John Wooden

Registered Member

To back up Altum, I've gotten discus from both locations in the past and yes they were nice and everything, but I was dealing with sick fish more often than not.

Take my stupid advice and buy from breeders and hobby breeders and you can verify the source. All I have to say is, it's night and day when it comes to LFS and true breeders. Look at my thread(s) and you'll see the difference, I have 3 batches going and (knock on wood) I've not had a single issue with them since I got them starting in Feb. All I do is change water, feed and watch them grow.

I doubt that I'll ever go to a LFS for any discus again knowing that I can pop by Vern or some other members here and get great looking fish that are not sick or have some issue.

Anyway my 2 cents

Registered Member

Thanks for all your helpful advice.

I use to source my discus directly from the discus farms when I was working in Asia. They do discus only so they don't mix the water from other tanks.

So I think I will source from Vern, Bob, King fish imports, hobbyists. How do I get in touch with them?

Registered Member

Vern Archer and Bob ( upper canada discus) you can Google search them and you'll find the websites. King fish is on facebook.

Real Name
    Vansu

My first discus were from local breeders

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567