AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 3 months differences

Registered Member

Default 3 months differences

A few pictures to show the color differences on 3 of my wilds ... photos on the left were taken 3 months ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: 3 months differences

mckchu, beautiful wild discus. Do you know the origin of these discus? Very nice color, what food do you use to get the color? Thank you, Bill

Registered Member

They are mostly fed on beef heart and freezed fried brine shrimp, with occasional frozen blood worm and freezed fried bloodworm. Once in a while - very small live river shrimps when I can get them...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by wgtaylor View Post
    mckchu, beautiful wild discus. Do you know the origin of these discus? Very nice color, what food do you use to get the color? Thank you, Bill
    Bill, as I mentioned in another thread, its quite difficult to know the origin of the discus except that they are from "Brazil" in Hong Kong. They are part of shipments where they import thousands of wild plecos, which are clearly labelled with their L-numbers and a few specimens of wild discus as "fillers". Hence, the source of wild discus here is irregular and unpredictable. Most good wild discus importers ship their fish to Japan or Taiwan where they can get much higher prices.

The best specimens I was luckily enough to get were Abacaxis Blue Face Heckel ... and they were the only 2 blue-face out of boxes and boxes of plecos. (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=63518)

Michael

Registered Member

Good work on the discus, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mckchu View Post
    Bill, as I mentioned in another thread, its quite difficult to know the origin of the discus except that they are from "Brazil" in Hong Kong. (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=63518)

Michael
    Michael, I think only Heiko can tell us where they come from.
    I am also interested in your water in Hong Kong. I think I read it is naturally soft, good for wild discus. Do you have to treat your water with ro or peat? Sorry so many questions. Thank you, Bill

Registered Member

The water on the HK Island side is soft and almost "ready to use". On the Kowloon side, its harder. Fortunately, I am living on the Island side. I still use quite a lot of peat in my filter.