AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Kent Marine Discus Essential Additive

Question Kent Marine Discus Essential Additive

I was wondering if anyone uses Kent Marine Discus Essential Additive? I found it on sale for $8.37/16 oz.. and when I asked the girl at the pet store she told me it's a must have... is this true?

P.S. this is what it says about it on the site-
    Color and vigor of fish can be negatively affected by lack of trace minerals.

Kent Discus Essential replaces biologically important trace minerals which are used by fish and plants and removed through filtration in discus aquaria.

Discus Essential will provide color and vigor without use of dangerous hormones! It contains no detrimental heavy metals, phosphates, nitrates, or silicates.

Thank you
    nicole

Registered Member

Default Re: Kent Marine Discus Essential Additive

Personally... I'd only use a product like that if you're having lateral line erosion when water quality and nutrition are OK. Not a bad idea if you use RO or DI water.

Being a pet shop employee... I know how someone who doesn't know better will react. If it says its good for something, they will recommend it.

Hmmm...as a "Reefer" our rule of thumb is to never add what you can not test for. Second rule of thumb...never believe what someone (in this case a LFS) is trying to sell you because they are trying to make money off of you.

What are you trying to achieve by using it? Are you looking to change your water perameters or increase their colour/vigor as it says it does?

I personally haven't seen it before, but that does't mean it's not a good product.

Registered Member

It is used to replenish RO water,
    Its definitely Not Essential....
    Nothing you can't do adding tap water to RO

Thank you guys
    Supposedly it was supposed to make the water into black water. I dont really know but found it on sale and wondered if it was good or not. anyways thanks again.
    nicole