ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6/25/08 still not eating

Default 6/25/08 still not eating

Ok, i now have these 3 little guys left and treated w/kenamycin for 7 days w/daily w/c's of 50%. After the treatment, I did a 90% w/c and let them be w/o meds for 2 days. No eating. I will start a treatment of Metro to see if that helps. I will boost the temp up to 93 and treat for 4 days w/daily w/c's of 50% in a 55 gal w/only 20 gals. Any probs w/this. I am not gonna treat until i get the right info. This is just what i have been reading and experienced once.
    Eileen

Registered Member

Default Re: 6/25/08 still not eating

hi,
    i just wanted to say good luck to you )

Still not eatin? Do you need the temp all the way up to 93*? I thought 90* was sufficient during metro treatment.

Good luck, Eileen I know how much this part really sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkjello View Post
    hi,
    i just wanted to say good luck to you )
    Hi pinkjello. Thank u for ur support. It means alot.
    Quote Originally Posted by phidelt85 View Post
    Still not eatin? Do you need the temp all the way up to 93*? I thought 90* was sufficient during metro treatment.

Good luck, Eileen I know how much this part really sucks!
    I don't no Jose, thats why i am asking.
    Eileen

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

Eileen,

4 days is not enough time...treat for 10 days...Good luck

Hi Eileen,
    When you say not eating...are you sure that they are not eating? ... They still look fine otherwise?

I have no idea why all of a sudden theres issues here with your fish Eileen.... somethings changed in the tank or your routine... but we've gone thru everything I can think of by pm..

A suggestion...
    Do not feed them a day.... not anything... then feed them hikari bloodworms the next morning....leave the bws there for an hour and see if they eat them.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Thanks Al. I wil try it. Do u think maybe they miss the others? Could this be? There r only 3 left and maybe thats whats wrong. I will do what u say and see how things r. Keep u posted.
    Eileen

Eileen,

I just finished a Kanamycin treatment with mixed results. Some came around and 2 large snakes skins are still hockey pucks(black). HPs dont eat and have not eaten in 2 weeks. Bloated. I am going to hit with metro next. My temp max will be 91 or so. Be carefull when you raise your temp in conjunction with the metro. I will counter post as we go so that we can compare. Dan, was it you that recommended stacking metro and oxytetracycline? If so what doses? Hex is visible with scope correct? Ed

wow ed. I am so sorry for ur troubles. I totally understand. Its hard when u crapshoot the disease. Hopefully we will solve this prob.
    Eileen

Sorry your havin such a hard time with the fish Eileen...Cant get much better advice than whats been given. Hope they turn around for you!!
    Mark

Registered Member

Hi Eileen

I would say they would be missing the others as Discus do love being in groups! although they should still eat even if it is a nibble & get over things fairly soon.

That nibble can go on for days or until they get either over less'er group or what changes have happened to make them like that.

The advice given is great & would just like to add that, don't put food in the tank if not eating i.e. 2-3,4,5 times daily. As Al already stated, let the food go for a day & feed next day. Sometimes if feeding more than 1-2times a day if you skip the first feed the fish will respond to the second feed much better.

If you skip the entire day you will have a little slower result, although should be better, that is if the lights were left off. If normal hours of lights on & off you should get a better result.

Hope all goes well!

Regards Armandi

Quote Originally Posted by Armandi_Fishcarer View Post
    Hi Eileen

I would say they would be missing the others as Discus do love being in groups! although they should still eat even if it is a nibble & get over things fairly soon.

That nibble can go on for days or until they get either over less'er group or what changes have happened to make them like that.

The advice given is great & would just like to add that, don't put food in the tank if not eating i.e. 2-3,4,5 times daily. As Al already stated, let the food go for a day & feed next day. Sometimes if feeding more than 1-2times a day if you skip the first feed the fish will respond to the second feed much better.

If you skip the entire day you will have a little slower result, although should be better, that is if the lights were left off. If normal hours of lights on & off you should get a better result.

Hope all goes well!

Regards Armandi
    Thanks Armandi, but i lost another one. I woke up this morn and it was dead. I only have 2 left now and added them to the 150 gal w/the rest of the clan. The 2 left seem happy, swimming with the other guys. Its a shame but hopefully, they will survive.
    Eileen

Real Name
    Brian

Sorry to hear of all these problems Eileen. It certainly can be frustrating.

Hang in there Eileen. I feel your pain. I have 100 or so 2 month old babies in one 40 breeder tank and the most of them came around. The group theory applies here as Armandi stated. When my system was being built I had 8 baby oscars next to my Stenker discus so that they could see one another. The discus were jumping out of the tank to get at the food because they were so stimulated by the oscars agreesive eating habbits. I think Im going to put the 2 SS back in with the other adults and treat the whole system. My 3 day cool down is almost up. Thx for you words Eileen. Ed

Registered Member

eileen how many days did you go with metro and what was the dosage?
    i had problem with my discus too, they were not eating for 2 weeks until i started metro but only with a little over 100mg for each 10US gallons. the temp was no more than 91F, with the top closed. by the way the fish that were sick, were 4 to 5 inches in size it took 3 days until they start eating normal again. same situation for my juvie and it only took 1 day for her to start eat. for the juvie i was doing 50% WC every 24 hr and then dosing the same amout.
    i hope yhey get well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast