ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: setting up a new storage tank.

Default setting up a new storage tank.

I'm going to buy a used 55 gallon plastic drum from a local grape juice distributor. My first questions is... what should I use to clean the drum?? Is bleach ok? If so what concentration (bleach/water) should I use?

After I get it all cleaned I'm off to Home Hardware to see about installing a floater valve.

thanks,
    - don't eat my fish

Default Re: setting up a new storage tank.

Bleach is great. A solution of around a 1 1/2 cups per gallon of water is strong enough kill many of the really harmfull pathogens. You can fill a spray bottle with it and spray it leave it for 5 minutes and rinse or you can fill the barrell up with water add at a lower amount and let it run off.
    ME I love the stuff and add a whole lot of it but its doubtfull you'll need that much if the barrell was food grade.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Thanks Ed,

I'll clean it up and get it running tomorrow.

If anyone in Toronto is looking for a good place to get used / food grade / 55 gallon / plastic drums for $25 (cash) send me a PM & I'll point you in the right direction.
    Last edited by -gb-; 06-27-2008 at 02:02 PM.
    - don't eat my fish

OK so I got the used 55 gallon plastic barrel yesterday. Cleaned it with bleach and rinsed it out thoroughly I put four 2OOW Stealth heaters in it that are hooked-up to a timer. The timer is set to fire up the heaters an hour before I do my daily 50% water changes. I figure there is no reason to keep the heat on all the time & with four heaters it can be bought up to 29°C in no time.

I’m currently using my Python to refill the storage tank but will be installing a floater valve in the coming days.

some pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (77.5 KB, 66 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (68.7 KB, 48 views)
    - don't eat my fish

one more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (39.1 KB, 83 views)
    - don't eat my fish

Registered Member

I'm not going to say positively but I question whether you will be able to raise the water temp of 55 gal. of water with 800 watts in an hour. The variables are many. How much replacement water goes cold into the holding tank? How cold is it? What's the ambient temp of the room the holding tank is sitting in for 23 hours unheated? Will the holding tank be insulated? I only know that it takes 4500 watts of heat 30 to 45 minutes to raise half a 40 gallon tank of cold water from 50 degrees to 115 - 120 degrees. You will have to try it and see. I would be interested in your results. I'm sure the BTU's required to raise a gallon of water one degree is available on the net somewhere. You could use that info as a starting point.

Registered Member Tropical Haven's Avatar

Since you are filling up the barrel with your Python, why not save some electricity by filling up the barrel with water of the same temp as your tanks or warmer and using 1 or 2 heaters maximim to keep water at constant temp. Thats how I do it with my 55 gallon barrel.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical Haven View Post
    Since you are filling up the barrel with your Python, why not save some electricity by filling up the barrel with water of the same temp as your tanks or warmer and using 1 or 2 heaters maximim to keep water at constant temp. Thats how I do it with my 55 gallon barrel.
    same here

The water sits at 18°C and I heat it up to 29°C before putting it in the tank. I timed it today and it took 45 gallons about an hour & a 1/2 to get up to temp. I was planning on insulating the barrel before winter. I'm not sure if keeping the barrel at 29°C all of time time would save energy or not. After I hookup the storage tank to fill automatically it won't matter anyway...
    - don't eat my fish

Registered Member

If you can work your water changes into waiting for the water to come up to temp and use it you have the most efficient solution energy wise. No reason to heat water ahead of time if you don't have to. It takes the same amount of BTUs to heat the volume of water the first time. The problem is usually one never knows exactly when they'll take that bath or wash that white load or dishes etc. This is the basis of tankless water heaters.

I myself just fill up the tank with water from the tap as close to the temp of the tank. A little prime and I am good to go. Been doing it now for a couple years with no ill effect. I used to age and heat the water but with a python it is much easier to drain and fill all at once. Just my opinion.

A Friend in discus
    John
    You can't see where you're going
    If
    You don't know where you've been