AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 day old fry! Some questions.

Real Name
    Tom

Default 8 day old fry! Some questions.

. Ok all looks good except I can’t tell if the fry are eating the bbs. I’m putting them right next to the parents but no clue if these guys are eating. Next how often should I feed? In the video the male’s fins seem to be getting frayed. Is this normal? What should be the next food I offer? Something else.I’m not rinsing the bbs. Should I be? Changing 50% water daily and it seems most of the bbs is on the bottom. 1BE71947-CF63-43E4-AC3A-A915A34485B0.jpgBEED8EB2-A7CC-47D4-86FD-2C547187DA8E.jpgA5DFE362-2AE9-44B5-89EB-4DA5C30A7B1A.jpg

Default Re: 8 day old fry! Some questions.

Tom,
    How often are you feeding the BBS? I don't think you are feeding them enough BBS. If the parents are showing signs over grazing and theres that small a number of fry try feeding more BBS or more often. Its possible the male is more aggressive at attracting the fry or not making as much slime as the female. The females color looks good , like its making alot of slime. Its not uncommon for some minor wear and tear during feeding..but be sure to feed enough BBS. They are eating it, as you can some pink in them. Other than that, they look nice and uniform.

Do they fight over the fry?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Tom

How often should I feed.

Registered Member

The most of the fry are eating just that some are eating more then other, notice that some fry have more orange or pink at their belly. May try feeding more BBS so that all fry have a full stomach. The amount of times feeding the BBS depends how long their stomach stays full, once their stomachs starts to look half full then give it another feeding but not to over feed. The male seem to be producing slime first by turning dark, so he is taking beating.

Real Name
    Tom

Both parents are eating great so is there something else to feed them? I’m feeding fdbw with vita-min added.

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Both parents are eating great so is there something else to feed them? I’m feeding fdbw with vita-min added.
    Tom the parents are fine, you can feed them whatever you normally feed. At this point the fry really only need the parents slime coat and the BBS. They can stay on that alone for weeks from now.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

You can change the after removing the fry. I use Centrum Silver vitamin for human.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

And the answer to your other question is yes you should be rinsing the brine shrimp off before feeding.

Real Name
    Tom

Ok still growing and now clearly moving off parents to eat bbs. I’m tying to feed almost every hour (retired ). I fed the parents a lot to almost the same and they eat everything. Doing 50% water change daily. Will set up a 20g today to get it ready for the fry (too early ?). Should get the net to rinse the bbs today. Why the rinsing? They do seem fine as of now?E57A278C-7B83-4620-84E1-DAE665FF9C5E.jpg

Once they are Eating Baby brine like that you can move them on their own but as long as they arent over grazing on the parents or the parents dont spawn again they can be left much longer together. Its a personal preference at this point..

Screenshot_20230913_132045.jpg

Rinsing removes bacteria that grows in the bbs hatching container. Its a good idea to do it just in case. Rinsing through a net can remove bbs cyst shells which your fry can ingest and die from in some cases.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-13-2023 at 01:26 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Your TDS will shoot up and plus the BB also poop better to rinse with a fine net. I use the cheap ones from Amazon. Are you making batches every day or refrigerating in some brine?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the general removal from the hatchery I use these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Retired but full time fish keeper.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 09-13-2023 at 01:31 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Willie

Great to see the spawn, Tom. Feeding them every time you pass the tank is just fine. I don't know though what you mean by hand feeding. I usually squirt bbs right near them so they see it. If you're dropping it from the tank top, they may not see it. Still, just overfeed and keep up the water changes. It should be noted that millions of discus fry grow and thrive in the Amazon without bbs. I have yet to see actual data that bbs increases fry development - or does it just make aquarists feel a lot better.

My rule of thumb is to wean them onto solid food before moving. They'll feed on minced beef heart as early as 11 days free swimming. I like to keep them with the parents for at least 3 weeks, if not 4 weeks, to make sure they always have multiple sources of food. As they get bigger, they may actually start to bite the parents. If there's any damage, the parents will recur miraculously fast. (It's a clear evolutionary adaptation.) As Brew noted, there's really no advantage to moving the spawn early - unless the parents start to clean the cone again. In which case, move them out fast!
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Tom

Lol cone is gone!! Not giving them any ideas lol. Ok not a fan of beef heart. Will freeze dried black worms work? If not what else or should I buy frozen beef heart. If so what brand?

Charly I just got that bbs net set in the mail today. Started rinsing. Ok what do you mean refrigerate? How do I do that. I’m feeding everything bbs now lol. I’ve got way to much!!
    Will the tds go up even though I’m doing the water changes?

Al the hatcheries are just insane. I’ve been doing the bbs in 6x6” Tupperware floating in tanks with a bubbler in them. Getting tons of shrimp and removing with a dropper. Now rinsing. Seems to be working. Just way too much shrimp in the hatchery. They seem to live longer in the Tupperware too.

Real Name
    Francis

Tom since you are in Long Island, Check with Miranda @ Chicago discus if she's is still selling her homemade beef heart to customers.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Tom
    I use my home made hatchery and you can make your own with other size bottles. They hatch in about 18 to 24 hrs and I precipitate the shells with the light and pour all to my second bottle and do it again with the light so I get most of the shells

20230913_211416.jpg

I pour the contents of the hatchery after separating the shells to these nets to rinse with barely warm water.

20230913_211422.jpg

I make a bran new brine about 150 mils mixing 15 gram of aquarium salt and right from the net to the brine. Now I put it in the fridge so they go dormant. You should get 3 maybe 4 days but the faster you use the better.

I pour what I need in this small net. and as you rinse again suck up the BB's with a pipet to be able to squeeze right at them and they should come to life as they hit the warm water.

20230913_211504.jpg

I use one or max 2 scoops of BB's with this small scoop.

20230913_211629.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast