AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: "Discus Genetics and Breeding Info and Discussion"

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Default Re: "Discus Genetics and Breeding Info and Discussion"

Quote Originally Posted by AlgaeQueen View Post
    2 regular looking Turks had fry which have checkerboard patterns... Is the checkerboard pattern recessive then?
    No. The pattern of a turquoise discus appears to be controlled by many genes. It is single genes that are considered as dominant or recessive. Most of the "strains" are not true breeding, and differences between specimens are common place. Even for the wild discus this holds true. The pattern can be manipulated somewhat through breeding, and a certain consistency can be found, perhaps you could select for this in future breeding and produce your own line of checkerboards.

Hi, I have fry from a blue snake x albino yellow Chrystal, I know that I will not get albinos but the fry at 7 weeks have 14 bar and 8-9 bars, can some tell me what the bars mean as far as snakes, or scorpions , thanks.
    AL

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Hi Al,

The ones with 14 bars are the snakes and scorpions. The ones with 9 bars are regular turks, and don't carry the genes that make snakes. This snake gene doesn't pass on to all the fry, and in every spawn there will be some that do not carry the mutant gene.

Good luck with the spawn, hope they turn out well.

Rod

Thank you Rod will save some of each to get albinos one day.

Registered Member

Hi all... if I have pair of discus but their colour and patterns are not that stand out ..... is there any possibilities that their offsprings will somehow carry better genes than their parents? or should I separate them and pair them with some more beautiful partner?
    thanks alot

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick84 View Post
    Hi all... if I have pair of discus but their colour and patterns are not that stand out ..... is there any possibilities that their offsprings will somehow carry better genes than their parents? or should I separate them and pair them with some more beautiful partner?
    thanks alot
    Hi Patrick,

Well, the offspring will carry a copy of each gene from each parent. So better, worse....is probably not the right way of looking at it. It's more about combinations. Each pair can produce fry with much variation including pattern and color that stand out. Try your pair and see what they produce, most strains are not that true breeding and you likely will get some that are much better than others. Choose the ones you like the most and breed from them and gradually more and more of the progeny will have this stand out features.
    Or cross breed with a wild or a quality domestic that has some of the features you like, and breed it into your line. This path will give you a lot of variation/potential for unusual/exciting combinations. I guess the biggest problem is keeping enough of the progeny to an adult size for further selection. With crossing, a lot of the progeny may be pretty low grade and the few true gems among them may not show until they are 4 or 5 months of age. This takes a lot of space and effort as well as patience. Most rewarding though

Good luck

Rod

Real Name
    Rick

This path will give you a lot of variation/potential for unusual/exciting combinations. I guess the biggest problem is keeping enough of the progeny to an adult size for further selection. With crossing, a lot of the progeny may be pretty low grade and the few true gems among them may not show until they are 4 or 5 months of age. This takes a lot of space and effort as well as patience. Most rewarding though
    Truth! Be careful if you go this route and not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. You would be surprised at how many dull blah discus I almost culled at 2-3" blossomed into beautiful discus at 5". It can be a lot of fun, but beware, you will gobble up a lot of tank space in a hurry.

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ashaysathe View Post
    Hi,

Off-late we have seen majority of shipments with "Red/Orange/Golden" based fish. e.g. Penang Erruption is an instant hit; Albino LSS are instant hit.
    Why isn't there a blue genetics ? To my limited exposure I have not seen a blue striated fish for sale in a few shipments. Jeffery Yang used to ship amazing Altum Flora and Blue Turq. But not anymore. Dunno why.. may be a demand/supply thing?
    Question to you on this topic is - If my goal is Blue Spotted fish what would be my parents to get that?
    Again all variations are golden/red based; why a blue based mutation not tried may be tried but not sold or not as vibrant or appealing. Any thoughts?
    Jack Wattley Discus still breed and sell turquoise strains, striated and others. Just google Jack Wattley Discus. These are still among my favorites.

I asked Gabe to send me pics of JW turquoise discus he had in stock, they weren't the same line Jack breed years ago.
    Not that they weren't nice, just not the original strain that made JW discus popular.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Jack Wattley Discus still breed and sell turquoise strains, striated and others. Just google Jack Wattley Discus. These are still among my favorites.
    MOLON LABE

Registered Member

Question I have a red melon that just spawned with my blue scorpion, do you think the fry, babies will be peppered or will be nice clean fish?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by tonysdiscus View Post
    Question I have a red melon that just spawned with my blue scorpion, do you think the fry, babies will be peppered or will be nice clean fish?
    peppered for sure. Not a great mix. Mixing a pb with a non pb is typically not a good idea unless you have an end game for your breeding program. Very few know how to actually pull this off.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Hemanth

What would I get with these two.
    Seemingly marlboro, checkrboard.
    My guess both are pegion Blood - so OK to breed and would get some Marlboro and checker board combinations?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Rick

That's not a Marlboro on top, it's a red/white. You will get more red whites and some melon looking discus, some of which will have varying degrees of pattern.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Hemanth

Wondering when they will hit climax,
    They have been cleaning the slate since 4 days

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by hnirvani View Post
    Wondering when they will hit climax,
    They have been cleaning the slate since 4 days
    You never know when sometimes in a couple of day. I have a pair which has been mouthing the overflow pipe since the 17th of December and they finally spawned about 2 hours ago.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast