ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Water Changes for Planted Tanks

Registered Member

Default Water Changes for Planted Tanks

Does the same water change routine for bare bottom tanks apply for planted tanks when it comes to raising discus? I have a fairly heavily planted 60 gallon with 7 growing discus anywhere from 3.5-5 inches, should I be doing water changes every day or every other day like people do in bb tanks, or do the plants help to absorb a lot of the nitrates and ammonia. Right now I do 50% twice a week. Thanks.

David.

Default Re: Water Changes for Planted Tanks

I change 25-50% of the water every day, I have a very heavily planted tank

Joe

David, does your question pertain to "raising" young discus? Or is it only "keeping" adult discus? I ask because the answer could vary greatly based on that answer.

While Joe has success at solid w/c's daily, you CAN push that. Some people keep adult discus following only typical planted tank water changing regimines - 50% per week. I do small changes daily that equate to 50% TWICE a week.

The more plants you have, generally speaking, the less frequently you should need to change water. But that assumes you aren't trying to grow out young discus which changes everything.

And at 20-50% daily, in a heavily planted tank... I'll wager Joe has one nice planted tank with a nice healthy set of fish!
    Steve -
    Discus novice. Planted tank pilgrim.

Registered Member

Smile Re: Water Changes for Planted Tanks

Hi David I will go along with Steve and it all depends on the size of the fish. I have a 150 very heavly planted with 4 adult wilds and I change 100-125 a week. thanks Ed

Dave...I agree with Scolly. You could get away with 2-3 50% WC's each week with no problem.
    Mark