AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Midnight Black Discus

Default Midnight Black Discus

Does anyone know who breeds/sells these?

I saw one in my local petshop, they told me it came from California(I am in Ohio). It was not for sale.

I am looking to get at least one....
    125 G Tank. 14 Discus. 1"-4". Currently have Peach Panda, Fire Red, Blue Turk, Brilliant Red Turk, Crystal Face Yellow, Ring Leopard, Jaguar(1" waiting to see adult color), Pigeon Blood, and a mutt or two. Lots of different Pleco's too.

Default Re: Midnight Black Discus

Is this a joke?
    Mama Bear

No.

Now does anybody know where to find a discus that is black?
    125 G Tank. 14 Discus. 1"-4". Currently have Peach Panda, Fire Red, Blue Turk, Brilliant Red Turk, Crystal Face Yellow, Ring Leopard, Jaguar(1" waiting to see adult color), Pigeon Blood, and a mutt or two. Lots of different Pleco's too.

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

umm....in the Illness and Disease Section?

So, when the first albino discus was mentioned, did you believe it was a washed out/stressed discus?

I really would appreciate any legit info anyone has on this. I will gladly supply the retail stores name and loction to serius people who might want to help.

Banned

Smile Re: Midnight Black Discus

An albino would be authenticated by its red pupil. Years ago, there was talk of a black discus seller in Ca.. This black discus was not like a black leopard or jaguar, occuring naturally in nature. I read where it was a laboratoty trick involving DNA manipulation. Evidently, it was not very successful because it never made any noise in TFH or FAMA. It also would be the most demanded discus available. The person who developes a solid black, red eyed discus (Black Moscow Guppy black) will be able to retire.

Mat

Ok,thanks. I admit the one I found has poor conformation. It appears healthy, and the store has it in a display tank. Its an adult too.

i always thought that would be cool, but never actually heard of it. can you get a pic from your LFS? would be great for us all to see.
    2 x 125g semi planted, single 30g sump, 30g in line
    175g Bow
    75g grow/ QT
    200g fiberglass grow

I think they will let me, I will see next time I get there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S0DNZOHp3Q

here's a clip i found on youtube. it's a video clip of a pure black discus. i have to say it looks amazing. but it's a wild discus though~
    She completes my life in ways that only true love can... My sweet baby dog~

Banned

Thumbs down Re: Midnight Black Discus

That's an extremely stressed discus in the clip. It is dark for that reason, not because it is naturally black. If that is what the LFS is selling, you're getting beat.

Mat

I haven't been able to access the video yet, but please understand. I got my first discus in 1993. The black discus at Aquarium Adventures is not a fake, stressed or hormoned fish. They are not selling it, and according to an asst mgr, they can get more. My intent when posting this thread was to verify quality of the supplier- finding out who supplied them and where they originated. I had no idea of how rare they must be.

I also did not expect to be doubted. I was thinking I'd get an answer along the lines of "oh yeah, so and so breeds them, but because they don't have much demand like the other, more colorful discus, you just don't hear about them as often"...

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

There was a black strain of discus being bred here in oz maybe 15 years ago developed by a great fish breeder called Jimmy Flynn. They were derived from pigeon blood discus and were kinda cool looking i thought. They had a yellowish orange part to the throat/chest area, otherwise completely black....and perfectly healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinShin View Post
    That's an extremely stressed discus in the clip.
    Mat

That's an under statement! Even the narrator states there is question re it's health...I think!

He looks bad. Real bad IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by briggadane View Post
    The black discus at Aquarium Adventures is not a fake, stressed or hormoned fish.
    Grab it. Must be worth a fortune

Quote Originally Posted by briggadane View Post
    They are not selling it, and according to an asst mgr, they can get more.n"...
    How come they are not selling it? Esp if they can get more?

Get a picture. Should be easy enough if this is such a fine discovery. I am always taking pics of all the wet pets in our lfs. They should not have a problem with it.

Good Luck!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast