Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Default Re: Midnight Black Discus

Quote Originally Posted by happyniu View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S0DNZOHp3Q

i have to say it looks amazing.
    You think that fish looks amazing?

Registered Member

I must admit...I am surprised to see that people on here would really like to see a black discus. Guess I am just old fashioned because to me a black discus=a sick discus. Period. Red eye or not. Kind of scares me to think that this might be the direction discus is headed in. If there ever is a marketed black discus, that will be one bandwagon I will NOT be getting on....Bill

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    I must admit...I am surprised to see that people on here would really like to see a black discus. Guess I am just old fashioned because to me a black discus=a sick discus. Period. Red eye or not. Kind of scares me to think that this might be the direction discus is headed in. If there ever is a marketed black discus, that will be one bandwagon I will NOT be getting on....Bill

Couldn't agree more.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by briggadane View Post
    I haven't been able to access the video yet, but please understand. I got my first discus in 1993. The black discus at Aquarium Adventures is not a fake, stressed or hormoned fish. They are not selling it, and according to an asst mgr, they can get more. My intent when posting this thread was to verify quality of the supplier- finding out who supplied them and where they originated. I had no idea of how rare they must be.

I also did not expect to be doubted. I was thinking I'd get an answer along the lines of "oh yeah, so and so breeds them, but because they don't have much demand like the other, more colorful discus, you just don't hear about them as often"...
    Are you talking about the aquarium adventure in Columbus?

Adrian
    Phillipians 4:4-7

Registered Member

Watch the video closer...
    That's a sick fish nothing more.
    Fin's pretty ragged, and looks to be a bacterial or some other infection/infestation on it when it turns sideways. as well bouncing off the bottom of the tank....
    The other fish in the tank are not moving around but this one never stops something is irritating it pretty good.
    Just another sick fish...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemarlin View Post
    as well bouncing off the bottom of the tank....

I noticed this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Condor View Post
    Are you talking about the aquarium adventure in Columbus?
    I feel your brain ticking, Adrian.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kindredspirit View Post
    I feel your brain ticking, Adrian.....
    Who me? lol

Briggadane I see you are from lakewood so I am guessing the Cleveland branch...

Adrian
    Phillipians 4:4-7

Smile Re: Midnight Black Discus

I dont think the black fish in the video was attractive in the least bit. It may very be a sick fish, and I feel bad that such a fish is being used to create some sort of "euphoria" for a so called "black" discus. But to be fair, I think if a discus can be bred to have the deep matted true black like that of a very high quality 'Black moor" goldfish, then it can be a stunning fish.

I think a deep, matted jet black fish is beautiful only if it also has a stunning drift of a veil-tail behind it, like a huge dress-tail of some 1940's actress in an old movie. For a discus fish, which is round and predominantly "body" with relatively small fins, it would take alot to make it beautiful. I have a hard time envisioning it. To each his/her own. I stick with my fav....old fashion blue diamonds and sapphires. Mike

that black fish in the video has some slime coming off its side,,you can see what i mean as it turns side to side..look closely for whites marks thats slime coming off,,therefore its a stressed / sick fish.. be nice to have pure black strain personally id never buy one but be exciting to see different variations of black strain as they grow as a strain..
    iM CURED FROM THE DiSCUS ADDiCTiON .. GETTiNG OUT THE HOBBY ..

Mat had it right IMO. A velvet black Discus with a small bright red eye would be a valuable and beautiful Discus indeed.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member Tropical Haven's Avatar

The worst part of true black discus is how would you know when it is getting sick since our tell tell sign right now is when they darken up. I would have a feeling that by the time you figured out your black discus is sick that it would be too late to do anything because there would be late signs instead of early warnings.
    Scott

There is the same problem with Albinos, Scott since they CAN'T go dark. You figure it out by the behavior of the fish. With a good red eyed black Discus the eye color would also be a good indicator.
    Mama Bear

I would still like to see the pure black in the LFS as mentioned. The pure black would be very nice to see along side other discus,say tangerines.(Holloween fish). Water would have to be maintained as with any other discus. If the strain were strong then the pures would get sick around the same time as the others. Thats what microscopes are for. Clamped fins would tell you of the onset of something happening. Something about taking care of the water and the fish will do the rest... It would be worth the risk in my opinion. Ed

I think I'll order up a few of the black discus and start working on a RSB strain. Imagine, bright red spots on a solid black body with clear red eyes!
    But seriously, A few solid jet black discus in a tank with some of the Albino Snow Whites I saw from Germany would be an impressive sight.

Kacey

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast