ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Flurish Nitrogen and Flourish Phosphorous

Registered Member

Question Flurish Nitrogen and Flourish Phosphorous

Are Seachem Flourish Nitrogen and Seachem Flourish Phosphorous safe to add to a planted discus tank?
    Seachem Flourish™ Nitrogen
    * Liquid nitrogen supplement for planted aquariums
    * Provides aquarium plants the macronutrient, nitrogen
    * Essential nutrient for aquarium plants showing nitrogen deficiency

Supplies nitrogen, one of the three main macronutrients required by plants, in both the nitrate form and the plant-preferred ammonium form. Does not release ammonia. 250 ml treats up to 5,000 gallons. (Found on www.drsfostersmith.com)
    Would Seachem Nitrogen be good, because water gets changed so much in a discus tank or would it add back what we try to get rid of in water changes?

Seachem Flourish™ Phosphorus
    * Phosphorus supplement for the planted aquarium
    * Provides the aquarium plant macronutrient, phosphorus
    * Enhances and accelerates the growth of aquatic plants

This safe solution of potassium phosphate will enhance and accelerate the growth of aquatic plants without enhancing algae. Takes the guess work out of phosphate dosing. 250 ml treats up to 5,000 gallons. (Also found on www.drsfostersmith.com)
    I read somewhere that phosphate is bad for discus. Is this the same type of phosphate that is bad for discus? Doe it raise the level enough to do harm to discus? Has anyone tried either of these products? If so, what were the results. Both Seachem Flourish Nitrogen and Seachem Flourish Phosphorous sound like they would be good for my plants, but I am wondering how good they would be for my discus.

Registered Member

Default Re: Flurish Nitrogen and Flourish Phosphorous

I'm interested in anyone else's answers as well. I recently picked up a package of Flourish products on sale at my LFS and these 2 products were in the package.

They are basically refined waste products. They are perfectly safe to add if you have your water very well balanced, with ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and phosphate at or below 0 ppm due to fish waste to begin with.

However, if you have a heavy fish load, or have a non HEAVY planted tank, most of the needed Nitrogen is available through Nitrate, and most of the Phosphorous is available through PO4 or phosphate, which is another waste product.

Check your levels before adding the products, if you have some already additiopn of these products can lead to algae.
    I am what i am not, and i most certainly am not what i am

We are the only beings for which being is an issue

Registered Member

Good to know!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xirxes View Post
    They are basically refined waste products. They are perfectly safe to add if you have your water very well balanced, with ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and phosphate at or below 0 ppm due to fish waste to begin with.

However, if you have a heavy fish load, or have a non HEAVY planted tank, most of the needed Nitrogen is available through Nitrate, and most of the Phosphorous is available through PO4 or phosphate, which is another waste product.

Check your levels before adding the products, if you have some already additiopn of these products can lead to algae.
    My nitrates are kept at 5 to 7 ppm. So I am assuming I do not need to add Flourish Nitrogen? My phosphate is at 0 so I will add Flourish Phosphorous. Thanks for the advice and please let me know if this is right.