AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: PH testing kit question

Registered Member

Default PH testing kit question

Ok this is what is happening.... I have two PH kits The Nutrafin wide range kit 4.5-9.0 that reads in increments of .5 and I have an API kit 6-7.6 that reads in increments of .2............

My water in the tank I am watching closely is reading between 5.5 and 6 with the nutrafin and with the API the water is reading 6.6

Big difference... my gut is telling me the API is the real deal..........

What do you think?

Registered Member

Default Re: PH testing kit question

While the liquid test kits are reasonably accurate I think a calibrated ph probe will answer your question. They have to be calibrayed in a standard solution and some are expensive but I think they are more accurate, But do you realy need the accuracy? Don T.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don Trinko View Post
    While the liquid test kits are reasonably accurate I think a calibrated ph probe will answer your question. They have to be calibrayed in a standard solution and some are expensive but I think they are more accurate, But do you realy need the accuracy? Don T.

I am thinking that I have to be accurate... maybe I am wrong but doesnt that 1 point equate to 10X more acidic and if the PH is on the extreme side 5.5 isnt that to low for the Discus?

Thanks for any help on this matter

Registered Member

You need to be consistant but not neccisarily accurate. If the ph changes slowly the fish will get used to it. If it concerns you get a probe. Mine cost $30. It was meant for a hot tub. Don T.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don Trinko View Post
    You need to be consistant but not neccisarily accurate. If the ph changes slowly the fish will get used to it. If it concerns you get a probe. Mine cost $30. It was meant for a hot tub. Don T.
    Did you buy it at a pool supply store Don?

Was the meter extra or does that come with the probe?

Thanks for your help Don

Registered Member

I bought it from the internet. I searched for ph probe. It came with the meter.
    I think with shipping and all it was abought $35. Mine is a "Checker by Hanna" Don T.

I have had discus breed at 4.8 keep the ph the same and your fish wont stress. Change it often and they will stress and get sick. Buy ph solution buffers too.