AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: wayyyyy too much pepper

Registered Member Peachtree Discus's Avatar

Default Re: wayyyyy too much pepper

i just hope it doesnt all result in a classic brown. i just think of all the effort, wcs, and breeding issue where the offspring end up as something that should/will never be distributed. ...in addition i think it will take more like 15-20 years before they would breed true.

Northwestcoastdisc... i sent u a pm.
    Wes (FishFlakes)
    "Lifes a game but its not fair, I break the rules so I dont care,
    ...so I keep doin my own thing - walkin tall against the rain"

While your idea has some potential and it is clearly an interesting one, it has some moral an ethical complications. You'll be saving some possible culls now and probably some in the future, but, you'll have to kill many fish you create or receive just because you won't have an outlet for those that don't meet your goals or the criteria of the general public and you'll only have enough space.
    I'm not knocking your idea down, judging you or anything but I do hope you take this and other factors into consideration before embarking on a project that so far seems to be monetarily motivated.

Good luck
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

sick discus look sick. no bright eyes..and no fins erect..and look pathetic. if you have a black discus running to the front of the tank wagging its tail and smiling from ear to ear..waiting for its dinner..then its not sick. just hungry.

a friend of mine has a golden sunrise he named freckles.. needless to say why. it's only a 2in that he "rescued" from LFS. he thought the "freckles" will go away but after 2 month of quarantine and now 100% healthy, it's still peppered allll over.. 1/3 of the body, whole face and almost complet black peppered tail...

someone like that fits your need?

BTW, i just saw another "black"discus in a LFS today/ it's a blue diamond that's dying. it is completely black. i offered to take it home and try to heal it, they told me they sale it to me for $60.00 (it's a 4").. so sad... it's ppl like that some time i think they should be band from have fish.......
    Last edited by happyniu; 08-02-2008 at 03:06 AM.
    She completes my life in ways that only true love can... My sweet baby dog~

If anyone wants a black discus check out this link Scroll to the very botton you wil see the black mutations

http://www.dallasdiscus.com/discus3.htm

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusDude85 View Post
    If anyone wants a black discus check out this link Scroll to the very botton you wil see the black mutations

http://www.dallasdiscus.com/discus3.htm

Joe

Too bad they're not breeding anymore.
    He is your friend, your defender, he is your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Quote Originally Posted by happyniu View Post
    a friend of mine has a golden sunrise he named freckles.. needless to say why. it's only a 2in that he "rescued" from LFS. he thought the "freckles" will go away but after 2 month of quarantine and now 100% healthy, it's still peppered allll over.. 1/3 of the body, whole face and almost complet black peppered tail...

someone like that fits your need?

BTW, i just saw another "black"discus in a LFS today/ it's a blue diamond that's dying. it is completely black. i offered to take it home and try to heal it, they told me they sale it to me for $60.00 (it's a 4").. so sad... it's ppl like that some time i think they should be band from have fish.......
    what fish store do you go to? well, i have a three LFS really close to me and none of them have healthy discus in stock. all three have good custmer service, great ratings, wide variety of selections(equip and fish wise), but when it comes to discus it all goes down hill...sad
    benedict

do you live in the Los Angeles aera?? most of my discus are from the internet though. my LFS is very disappointing... with all the asian here, you'd think we get some good imports but we dont'... i go to one store that have some discus, not the most brilliant ones. but very the owner is friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by gotfish? View Post
    what fish store do you go to? well, i have a three LFS really close to me and none of them have healthy discus in stock. all three have good custmer service, great ratings, wide variety of selections(equip and fish wise), but when it comes to discus it all goes down hill...sad
    She completes my life in ways that only true love can... My sweet baby dog~

The LFS here in Boston's Chinatown (Chinese owner) has three tankful of the most pathetic discus culls for sale from 35 dollars to more than 60 dollars a paiece. But the LFS in another part of Boston, which is very popular with the yuppy crowd, has great fish, and a tankful of the most awful and lowest of the low quality discus with the fanciest names...and their price is 3 times higher than the ones from Chinatown. So, it doesnt matter who runs the store, if they are ignorant and money greedy, then they are money greedy.

On the otherhand, I have heard of great stores in NYC and in San francisco that specialize in Discus. If the security checks and rules for airlines were not such a pain in the groin about taking a simple bag of fish/water on board (use to be able to do that), i would gladly fly out there and pick out my choices myself.

So, there are awful places around...and knowing what I know now about the quality of discus available, i am shocked that some people are still trying to rip people off like that.

Registered Member Peachtree Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ed13 View Post
    While your idea has some potential and it is clearly an interesting one, it has some moral an ethical complications... .....but I do hope you take this and other factors into consideration before embarking on a project that so far seems to be monetarily motivated.
    IMO... the moral and ethical complications is something breeders of any animal will have to deal with. to me, no cull is easy.

here's a post i actually read (all) when i first started breeding. have a seat if ur not already..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=51295
    Wes (FishFlakes)
    "Lifes a game but its not fair, I break the rules so I dont care,
    ...so I keep doin my own thing - walkin tall against the rain"

I just wanted anyone reading to understand that, like in the thread linked, breeding purposely for a specific usually undesirable trait(although not debilitating in this case) carries some implications. Exploiting them for the sake of experimentation or monetary gain is controversial. Even if admittedly the outcome in this case has interest.
    Again, not passing judgment or trying to convince you otherwise, just making sure it wasn't lost in the excitement And it seems you understand it, I'm glad for that.
    That being said, good luck
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Registered Member

The issue of color being affected when a discus is ill and in a black discus you would not have the visual clue of the fish darkening is one of the marketabilty problems that has come up in other threads when folks have discussed feasability of producing a black strain, as I recall.
    Harriett

Registered Member

I don't know where your at Wes but if you decide to take on this challenge I will open some tanks up for the "not so right" ones! I would hate to see so many discarded just because the color was not right.

Registered Member noshow discus's Avatar

ok well i must be a Nut aswell and dont cull the peppered discus pm me with a price...hell i like the discus fish for the fish not the hey look i have a PeRfEcT PB with no pepper
    i aint a mushroom so don't keep me in the dark and feed me S**t

Registered Member

I agreed everyone to say that when discus turned to black, lose red eyes colors are very sick discus or serious parasite possable.

the pigeon blood gene discus always have carry black peppering. They are not sick fish.

Today is lot of varity of awesome pigeon blood gene discus are very clean and nicer. the pigeon blood gene discus have few black peppering the pigeon blood gene have about less than 10 percent black peppering. The high qualty discus mean is perfect round body, soft ray fins, nice red eyes, few black pepper on head, etc that is top of dollars to pay for it. worth to breed them

lowest quailty mean is not perfect round body, no 100 percent full color pattern, missing fins, etc not worth to breed them.

white butterfly, marlboro red. sunrise yellow, melon red, etc are pigeon blood gene they have little black peppering but depend on what your water quailty, if your water qualty is good and legal for discus they would not show black peppering.

if your water is poor qualty and not right legal for discus, they will show black peppering or getting more black peppering.

or

it s possable very dark background on tanks or darker gravel affect to discus will change to darker color that disucs has no pigeon blood gene or even black peppering or gettng more black pepper on discus that have pigeon gene too.

all my background tanks are very light blue and white bottom to make discus very bright colors and looking nicer.

Some people like to have black peppering on pigeon blood gene discus. some people do not like to have black peppering on pigeon blood gene discus. please respect each others what they like to have discus into their tanks.

i had blue diamond x white butterfly discus. it called blue panda they had black peppering on them but looking very nice and unquie fish.

i agreed with you when the black peppering discus they called freclk. that is cute.

same idea people humans have freck on face or body.

i have some black peppering that is pigeon blood gene discus . They have around 80 percent black peppering on them. I dont mind I would like to try to breed them. I want to try to sold black discus . The pigeon blood discus are not found in wild discus. The first pigeon blood made by kitti discus in thailand. He got the pigeon blood discus in late 1985's to early 1990. The pigeon blood came from the red turquoise. He has lot of varity of pigeon blood and improve color and less black peppering.

Black swordtail, black molly, black koi, etc are they low quailty?

I cant discuss with the bull dog discus and (the bat discus or long fin discus or whatever they call them). I dislike them because they are not real discus. The asian breed them and successful. They are selling them but those fish are higher price than normal discus. I never had them but I saw pictures on my books or on the internet too. They are unquie fish same idea ballon ram, ballon molly, etc.
    Last edited by Northwestcoastdisc; 08-07-2008 at 09:48 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast