AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Peat moss to lower pH

Registered Member

Default Peat moss to lower pH

I have very high pH tap water with low KH (pH 8.4 and KH 6 degrees) and want to lower the pH using peat moss. I currently have a water filter with the following on my tap: 0.3 micron filter, ion exchange, activated carbon and ultraviolet light (but not reverse osmosis). The readings above is from the filtered water.

In my mind I see two scenario's and would appreciate some advice on which one is the better option.

Scenario 1

I have a 15 gallon tank with a heater and airstone that I use to get my water change water to the right temperature (run the tap water for 3-4 days in this tank before doing a water change). I can add a canister filter filled with peat moss granules to this tank and cycle my water change water through the peat moss for 3-4 days.

Scenario 2

I can add an additional canister filter to my main 60 gallon tank filled with peat moss granules and possibly some additional filter media.

I am not sure which scenario would be best. For the first one the short period might not be sufficient to lower the pH significantly. For the second one I might over time find that the pH in my main tank drops too low which could even lead to a pH crash over time given the relatively low KH and buffering capacity (even though I think the drop should be regulated by adding higher pH water through my water change?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My longer term plan is to invest in reverse osmosis filter but that is just not an option at this exact moment.

Regards
    OJ

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Default Re: Peat moss to lower pH

I like method 1, you will notice that a peat filled cannister will discharge water at a lower ph than the water in your holding tank, it doesn't need a lot of time to work. The rule is when the ph of the discharged water is no longer lower than the tanked water, either you have reached the lowest ph that peat can reach....or more likely the peat is exhausted and needs to be changed for fresh stuff. I keep circulating with peat until the desired ph is reached. If you use enough peat and a slow flow you could even set it up to work on just one pass through the cannister, that is the method of the great breeder schmidt-focke and works just as well for us mere mortals.

Rod

Registered Member

I decided to experiment with peat moss in my water change tank and I was truly amazed by the instant response - within a day my pH has dropped from 8.4 to 7.8. I will play around with the perfect quantities of peat, flow rates and time period to get my pH down to around 6.8 and I will then slowly introduce this water to my main tank on a regular basis until I have reduced my main tank's pH to the desirable levels. I know people say that it is better not to play around with your water but I would rather raise my discus in the right pH - will ensure that my water change parameters are always consistent.

Just a quick add-on question: I have read a few times about a pH crash. What triggers this and what can I do to prevent this? If I do 25% to 30% water change 2 times a week adding 6.8 pH 6 KH water into my tank what would be the chance of a pH crash? Would I need to buffer given that the KH puts my water in the medium soft category?

I just want to thank all people who take the time to give advice - as a learner in the world of discus I truly appreciate it as the practical advice really helps prevent mistakes and makes the hobby thoroughly enjoyable. There is nothing as gratifying as identifying a problem and finding the right solution to resolve the problem - you can see the improvement in your tank and in the behaviour of your fish which is just amazing.

Cheers
    OJ

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by ojdewet View Post
    I know people say that it is better not to play around with your water but I would rather raise my discus in the right pH - will ensure that my water change parameters are always consistent.

Just a quick add-on question: I have read a few times about a pH crash. What triggers this and what can I do to prevent this? If I do 25% to 30% water change 2 times a week adding 6.8 pH 6 KH water into my tank what would be the chance of a pH crash? Would I need to buffer given that the KH puts my water in the medium soft category?

Cheers
    OJ
    Good on ya angel, i am NOT one of the tapwater is good enough crowd, i also prefer to see the discus kept in good water, and i believe the discus look and breed better for it.

Ph crash is caused by low kh, and acid production during the nitrification process of your filter. Exchanging water is a good way of preventing this, the amount needed to be changed will be directly influenced by your kh, amount and size of fish and feeding levels. In other words the more waste and lower the kh the more quickly you ph will slide. Keep a check on things and eventually you will notice a pattern, which then will make it easy for you to determine the correct maintanence requirements of your tank. I think 2 x 30% a week should be adequate for the average tank of adult discus.

hth

Rod

Registered Member

IMO Trying to change the ph is difficult if your KH is high. If you lower the KH to much you have a risk of PH crash. It can be done but is not neccisary unless breeding. Don T.