ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus Meeting in Maryland-Discus Hans and Dick Au double header weekend...Photos up.

Exclamation Discus Meeting in Maryland-Discus Hans and Dick Au double header weekend...Photos up.

Hi all,

A few months ago , the Northeast Discus Group had a great meet and greet type meeting at my home in CT....

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/sh...ad.php?t=63753

We had a lot of fun at that meeting, got to put some faces to names, and made some plans for the future.. Discus Hans drove up for the meeting and invited us down some time to tour his hatchery.

As they say Timing is everything...and we have a chance to really put together a nice informal Meeting down in the Baltimore, Maryland area.. After talking with Hans...We are looking at Sept 13-14 for the get together...all are welcome....
    What makes this such a great opportunity is that not only will we be able to check out Discus Han's Hatchery, but we have gotten permission to attend a nearby Fish club meeting where Dick Au is speaking at (Sept 13Th 2:00PM)

What we were thinking of was getting together for the DicK Au Talk, Then touring Hans Hatchery..and either fitting in dinner before the tour or after. I'll be heading down and Staying overnight, so would also be around in the Am to shoot the breeze if anyone else does.

If theres enough interest we could try to secure a meeting room in a hotel..or at least pick a hotel that we could all stay at.

This is a bit short notice for planning purposes so please let me know in this thread asap if you can definetly attend so we can finalize the form this event will take.

This is a great opportunity for Simply's North and South Members to meet up if you can make it...It'd be great to talk with you face to face.

Thanks everyone,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Discus Meeting in Maryland-Discus Hans and Dick Au double header weekend....

Hi Al,

That's great news....met Dick Au at his house very long time ago in San Francisco
    even offered me some of his collections...Great guy...read both of his books...Back to Nature and Trophy Discus ...good reading...highly recommended
    Wish I could tour Han's DISCUS DREAM WAREHOUSE

Cheers
    Francis

Banned

Thumbs up Re: Discus Meeting in Maryland-Discus Hans and Dick Au double header weekend....

Sounds great, Al. Events and happenings like this is the only thing that I miss about not living in the Northeast anymore. There was always something happening in NYC/Long Island area, New Jersey, Philly, and Baltimore involving the aquarium hobby. Out here we have the Portland Aquarium Society's annual show, and Seattle has a nice program once a year. That leaves alot of weekends with nothing else happening.

Mat

Default Re: Discus Meeting in Maryland-Discus Hans and Dick Au double header weekend....

Al,
    I'm definately planning on attending.
    I'll confirm the date with the wife.
    Keep me posted on hotel info.
    Rob
    If you get confused... Listen to the music play-
    Jerry Garcia

sounds cool.if only i had my passport..id consider flying down there. not sure enough notice to get a passport togeather. id like to meet the famous al the brewmaster for one..lol.
    and of course hans..and other simplymembers..and last but not least dick Au.

April,
    Is there anything not to like about Vancouver? I have only spent about a week there.

I have considered moving there to live out my days for many years after living in Many places....St Louis Mo, NYC, LA Calif, Paris France, Munich Germany Milan Italy.
    Thanks for any insight.

Esquire..well no..best place on earth. lol. we are always in the top few for most liveable cities in the world. we have the mountains, trees, ocean, skiing, etc etc.i would say only thing i dont like is the rain in the winter. come on over ...to live. youd love it. all i know is most people who move here never leave.
    tons of work..and tons of new houses etc being built..and the olympics are coming so economy is strong . people are spreading money around like no tomorrow. but..housing is more costly here . but..more jobs .
    ok..back ot hans' party. if you or brew do it again..and more notice.and i have my passport..id fly there for it. thats the one other thing..seems to be more discus happenings on the east coast. : (

Great idea Al. Please let me know the nearest airport so that I can figure out flight costs.
    Joe

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Joe,

BWI in Baltimore if you have your flight info (if you come) I will take care you're picked up in style lol lol from the airport.

Okay those are the plans.

Between 11am and noon: Get together at our house for those who come from the North.

12:30pm we will drive together to: http://www.capitalcichlids.org/ see directions.

For people coming from the South we will meet there, around 2pm, no sense to drive up and down again to the talk.

The people from the club know we are coming with a "few", let us know please in advance if you come. We will make arrangements with Pat the President of the club to make sure we've enough drinks and food (all free). The club is famous for their super chicken wings at the meetings (again we've to get a +/- number to make sure there is enough of everything)

After Dick's talk +/- 4 - 4:30pm we drive back to Baltimore for a look at the fish house, we will make sure we've a "few" Discus in stock and for those who need some Discus, we will make some special deals.

From there if time allows every one is welcome at our house.

Questions or other idea's all WELCOME,

Joanne & Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    sounds cool.if only i had my passport..id consider flying down there. not sure enough notice to get a passport together. id like to meet the famous al the brewmaster for one..lol.
    and of course hans..and other simplymembers..and last but not least dick Au.
    April how many years do I know you now?? Let me see, 10 - 12 years????? Maybe almost 15 ????

Every time when there is something going on, ACA, Meeting here or there, etc. you've NO time to get that freaking passport.

Now get that *&&^%$##*&$ thing so for the next thing going on you CAN BE THERE

Hans
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

ok boss. i will..but getting time off is almost impossible..the boss wont let me have a day off..lol. shes a mean one. theres fish..and dogs..and birds..and customers banging my door down. but dont feel bad..i didnt even get to my own family gathering. and when i go to the island to see my daughter and grandaughter..we take the ferry for over 3 hours each way with travel time..and we stay 2 hours and head home.
    but im gonna..get it cause i wanna go to singsing for the aquarama or at least somewhere..at least yours or als get togeather. aca cant do..busiest time of year. mAybe one of these times i can be the surprise guest instead of you. lol. you always get to be the surprise guest. : )

Hans,

Sounds like a great day! I would like to attend. I'm thinking of taking Amtrack down there. Just wondering how far are you from the station.

Thanks,
    Rich

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Rich,

the station is down town Baltimore, about only a half an hour from my house.

Would be great if you join us,

Hans

Real Name
    Patrick

Hello all,

My name is Pat Kelly and I am the President of the Capital Cichlid Association located here in Maryland. It would be our honor to have you guys attend our meeting while you visit Hans.

This months meeting will have great refreshments, raffles, mini-auction and of course
    Mr Au.

Hope to see a bunch of you there

Pat
    Last edited by Finman57; 08-21-2008 at 09:17 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Discus Meeting in Maryland-Discus Hans and Dick Au double header weekend....

Quote Originally Posted by Finman57 View Post
    Hello all,

My name is Pat Kelly and I am the President of the Capital Cichlid Association located here in Maryland. It would our honor to have you guys attend our meeting while you visit Hans.

This months meeting will have great refreshments, raffles, mini-auction and of course
    Mr Au.

Hope to see a bunch of you there

Pat
    Pat,
    Thanks for the hospitality.
    We are all looking forward to the trip & hearing Mr.Au
    See you in September...
    Rob
    If you get confused... Listen to the music play-
    Jerry Garcia

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast