AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone bought Discus from LiveAquaria.com?

Default Has anyone bought Discus from LiveAquaria.com?

Hello everyone, my first time posting here.

I've had a pair of discus for about 2 months now in a 55gal tank with a group of tetras. The reason I only have a pair is so far those were the only 2 fish I have been able to find locally that meet my requirements for size/color/quality. I have had no luck tracking down decent fish. There really is only one good LFS in my area for Discus. I purchased my pair of snakeskin discus from them but everytime I've gone back Snakeskins/royal blues and turquoise have been all they had in stock, with Maybe one or two other oddballs. I want a more colorful fish, a bit more variety. Im really interested in a set of Pigeon Bloods or maybe even red marlboros or Royal Reds.

As a result im considering ordering 3 pigeon bloods from LiveAquaria, unless anyone has any reasons why I shouldnt or can point me in a better direction. I'm looking for fish about 3-3 1/2 inches.

Thanks,
    Jim

And for those who are going to ask, The two fish are getting along well except the sligthly smaller one gets bullied after they are fed. It usually cools off within a few minutes and they get back to being buddies again..

Default Re: Has anyone bought Discus from LiveAquaria.com?

Ok, Well I found a thread that kind of helped me answer my question. The only problem is they mostly just threw out names of people I dont know. However it did point me to the direction of this site and these fish.
    http://www.choiceaquariums.com/products/pigeon_blue

The only issue I have is that the fish pictured are all very inconsistent as far as pattern and color go. I see what I want but I may well end up with the nearly solid red fish which is not what I want...

But still, its nearly $70 less including shipping.. I dont know what to Do.. I really want pigeon bloods.

I would say order from someone on simply ex. Kenny, April and lots of others. I don't know anything about LiveAquaria so can't comment on that. But if you get discus from a simply sponsor you'll be assured good quality
    nicole

Quote Originally Posted by *Polka dots roc* View Post
    ...if you get discus from a simply sponsor you'll be assured good quality
    Worth repeating!
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

I posted a reply earlier but for some reason its not showing up. But anyway. Who is April? Sorry but that really is not that helpful. If you could give me links that would be.

I found Choice Aquariums being discussed in another thread and I found fish that sort of fit the bill. I made a post earlier but its not showing up, I guess because I linked to a site? Anyway, it looks kind of promising. They have something that interests me, Pigeon Blues. The price is good and the shipping is more than fair, BUT The pic that they have posted of a tank full of Pigeon Blues. The fish coloring is really inconsistent. Half of them look like what i'm looking for while the other half do not. I dont want to end up with a bunch of the boring looking solid red fish.

So if Kenny or April want to sell me 3 Pigeon Bloods or something similar im up for it. Im located near Buffalo, Ny. Where are they?

hmm.. not sure but heres Kenny's email/number if you want to phone him and find out..(650) 290-1283 and http://kennysdiscus.net/
    He's a great guy to deal with
    Hope something works out for you
    And if this is what you are talking about I'm not sure of the quality http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/a....cfm?c=830+834
    Last edited by *Polka dots roc*; 08-16-2008 at 09:19 PM.
    nicole

According to Kennys website he dosent even have any fish. But thanks.

Yea that was the site I was talking about originally, Live aquaria. I think I may have to just take a bit of a risk and order from them.

Jim,
    Many of our sponsors like Kenny frequently import and sell out fast...My advice ....go thru our sponsor section and see what the sponsors have been selling and what members have said about them... and then contact those that have been dealing in fish you like...odds are if they don't have them...they will shortly ..

Take your time in finding the stock you want...its worth waiting for fish from a reputable source...rather than giving in to the "i want discus now" urge..

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

hey Jim, I bought two discus form liveaquaria back in February---they fish were really well packed and were healthy. It was a pleasant experience.

Registered Member

i would stay away from discus from LiveAquaria if i remeber right i dont think they get their discus from very reputable people and the sponsors here get gorgeous fish that youll be very happy with

looking at their stock I'm a little confused will one of you discus experts tell me if I'm wrong or not.. the neon blue looks like either a cobalt or a blue diamond to me and the picture of the red turq is the same picture as the ocean green... ok and last but not least is their blue diamond a blue diamond it to me doesn't look like it?
    nicole

choice aquarium is good. contact www.greatlakesdiscus.com. hes they gu..who works there. hes in michigan. if im correct..hes the discus god of usa. he also has homebred ones. best to call and ask for cary or call kenny.
    im the april they speak of..but i cant be of any help to you. im in canada. but my discus are supplied to me by kennys discus. kenny will have stock very soon . he sells out..but he puts up his list here on simplydiscus under kennysdiscus in sponsor section. a phonecall or an im and he will go out of his way to please. theres alot of new strains now..cleaner and clearer versions of the old pigeons. less pepper etc. example red covers or melons or red golden diamonds are the newer version of marlboros.
    theres others on here as well who have beautiful discus. inlcuding brewmaster the admin and owner..whos in connecticut and jack of discus kc or angela and andrew of green country . etc etc. go to the sponsor section here and have a look. theres also dan who has a new discus warehouse . etc. all the sponsors are screened and have to live up to a code of ethics etc and htey go out of their way to please as we are all simply members.
    live aquaria and others..are online stores which get their fish from clearing houses or big farms . the big farms..get the lower grade fish from the breeders who wouldnt sell to people like kenny etc. you are also dealing with big stores who have employees who dont know discus at all. just filling orders.
    the sponsors on here also carefully do proper quarantine procedures to be sure the discus are healthy and not ill . alot of discus from lfs and big suppliers have fish coming in from different sources and they can be carrying pathogens which are transferrable to your stock .

Real Name
    Mike

On Simply Discus front page, scroll down where it says simply sponsors. If one of the sponsors doesnt have what you are looking for or know where to get it, it doesnt exist. No where else are you going to find a higher quality mail order system for discus then in simply's sponsor section. You can pre-order with Kenny and he will do his best to notify you when his monthly shipments come in and then he will most likely hold them for you. You just have to let him know what you want ahead of time because they go fast!!

Thanks April. I thought I knew what I wanted but it seems there is a ton of variety within each species and the common names seem to be nearly useless.

Polka Dot if you want confusion check out choice aquariums, they have about 12 different names listed and the difference between about 6 of them is nothing that I can see.

All I know is im looking for a pigeon blood pattern with yellow, white and red around 3". Hopefully delivered for under $150.

Like this, but there are quite a few similar looks that I would accept..
    Last edited by Jim Curtis; 08-16-2008 at 10:51 PM.

Real Name
    Mike

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast