AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone bought Discus from LiveAquaria.com?

Default Re: Has anyone bought Discus from LiveAquaria.com?

Waaaay out of my price range. If thats typical of what he charges I'm back to square one. I understand those are superb quality and large fish but thats why I specified 3" fish as being what im looking for. It looks like he deals in larger sizes.

Actually he has 3" fish just not that strain for that shipment. If you look at the top of the page there is 3" fish and cheeper pricing...
    nicole

Hi Jim,
    I don't know why you were refered to posts 15 and 17 as they are not even close to what you're looking for. Check out some checkerboard pigeons, I think Dan at Gulf Coast Discus has some 2 or 3 inchers for $30, and some 4" golden sunrise for $40. Well worth a look.

Kacey

Real Name
    Francis

Hi Jim,

Kenny last shipment has bigger discus than usual....just wait for his up coming shipment...perhaps some discus may interest you....Good luck to your next purchase.

Cheers
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Curtis View Post
    Waaaay out of my price range. If thats typical of what he charges I'm back to square one. I understand those are superb quality and large fish but thats why I specified 3" fish as being what im looking for. It looks like he deals in larger sizes.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar

Hi Nicole, Ed, Al, April, Mike, Francis; thanks so much for the kind referral and comments.

Hi Jim, after April this is Kenny here. How are you doing?

Yes the last Aug shipment of mine, the strains were mostly of bigger size fish and newer strains. Looking at the pigeon picture that you posted, it seems like you're basically looking for the older pigeon strain. Most sponsors/sellers on this forum carry some form of pigeons at most times, and I dare to say the quality of them will far surpass your expectation. Cary at Choice, Michael at Central Ohio Discus, Angela/Andrew at Green Country Discus, Hans of Discus Hans, Jack at Discus KC, Dan of Gulfcoastdiscus, etc...and the list goes on and on...all you have to do is like what Mike said, click on any sponsor's link on this page and browse around their sales threads/ read the feedbacks by their customers. You will be happy ordering from any of them, as they have high ethics and also know their fish well.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/

Sometimes, you might also be able to find good quality discus releasing by experienced home breeders at reasonable prices in the Buy, Sell, and Trade section on this site, for example:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=65280

In all honesty we are all just trying to help here as like Al said, we've together seen many similar cases when new hobbyists could not resist the urge of needing to have the fish right away(without doing their homework), and then end up feeling disappointed afterwards.

Although this following shipment of mine were also sold-out, you can see that discus prices are mostly determined by rarity of strains and sizes. Rarity could mean strains that are newer on the market, thus in shorter supply, that were created after years/generations of work by the breeders. As for sizes for instance a 4" fish can sometimes be double in price as compared to the 3" ones. It takes more time, food, effort to grow a 3" inch fish to 4" as compared to from 1" to 2".

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=63918

Lastly, you can also expect fish coming from different breeders to have different pricing.

Take care and happy discus shopping Jim! Hope this helps.

Kenny
    Last edited by Kenny's Discus; 08-17-2008 at 12:15 AM. Reason: sp
    Tel: (650) 290-1283
    Email: kennysdiscus@gmail.com
    To receive future monthly shipment notifications click here: http://eepurl.com/bBqhK5

Thanks Kenny. I am a bit anxious to get a few more discus in that big bowl to help ease a bit of the tension between the two boys I have now. But they have havnt killed eachother yet and its been a few weeks so I guess I could hold off awhile. I would like to get 3" fish while mine are still close to that size. Im not really a fan of the newer strands, they seems a bit boring to me but I guess people who have been in the hobby for awhile are just looking for something different...

When are you expecting another shipment?

Real Name
    Mike

I want a more colorful fish, a bit more variety. Im really interested in a set of Pigeon Bloods or maybe even red marlboros or Royal Reds.

or can point me in a better direction. I'm looking for fish about 3-3 1/2 inches.
    I might have been a little off on size but we all change our minds once we see something we like even if it wasnt the size we were thinking.

I dont want to end up with a bunch of the boring looking solid red fish.
    I thought I knew what I wanted but it seems there is a ton of variety within each species and the common names seem to be nearly useless.

All I know is im looking for a pigeon blood pattern with yellow, white and red around 3". Hopefully delivered for under $150.

but there are quite a few similar looks that I would accept..
    Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    All things considered, I'd say I was pretty close. I didnt take the time to check all the available sizes and prices (ahh, whats a couple extra bucks?).

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    I don't know why you were refered to posts 15 and 17 as they are not even close to what you're looking for. Kacey
    Wow, you know what he wants more than he does, lol.

Did anyone else see the Wild discus on LiveAquaria.com for $229! Yikes for the price of four you could probably fly down there and catch your own.

lol
    nicole

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    Wow, you know what he wants more than he does, lol.
    Hi WW,
    After re-reading my post I see that I did come off a bit critical there, and I apologize. It wasn't meant that way. I was just going by his discription of what he wanted, a yellow, white and red pigeon in the $30 range.
    I really don't think it matters who he gets his fish from as far as Simply sponcers go. It's just a matter of who has that type of fish in and I remembered Dan's thread.
    Searching the various suppliers is a big part of the fun IMO. So take your time and enjoy!

Kacey

Real Name
    Mike

I've read enough of your posts to know that you werent making an attack Kacey, no problem. I agree, it doesnt make a difference which sponsor as long as its here at simply because we know the quality that comes with them. Many times I have gone to buy something (not just discus) with a price, size, manufacturer, etc in mind only to find that I wanted better quality, size, shape, practicality (is that a word?), etc when I'm there in person and that usually comes with a higher price. I'm a Kenny fan by personal experience and I just remember those standing out to me when I first scanned the photos. OOHHHH, but those reds too, wow! Nope, havent purchased from LiveAquaria but why would I, lol. I'm sure one of the sponsors will be able to fit the bill pretty closely to what you dream of swimming around in your tank Jim.
    Edit: I remember the first time I went to buy quality discus (not lfs). Was thinking of smallish discus to work with in the cheaper range.....got them but also walked away with a beautiful pair for $200, lol.
    Last edited by White Worm; 08-17-2008 at 01:45 PM.

another point that everyone is forgetting is..you have two discus from where? and how recent? from a lfs? they could carry a pathogen that they are immune to..and if you add new fish without quarantine..the new ones could become ill. or..if you got from liveaquaria..they could be carriers and not show it..and your other ones or all could become very ill and lose all of them.
    the sponsors fish are quarantined and safer..but adding them to fairly newly acquired fish who have been mixed with alot of fish from clearing houses, fish farms, wholesalers etc..could be bad news. best way to start with new fish is a new tank,.new fish..group of 6.
    i know..your anxious to add a few more to make a group of all your fish togeather..and all could go well..but when it doesnt..its exremely upsetting. a bunch of black huddled fish in a corner from skin infections or other pathogens.
    if youve had them for say over 6 months..then id say fairly safe as long as you havent added any new fish or plants for a long time. we've all been through it..and most of us have had to deal with one disease or issue at least once..and its not fun.
    we are all just trying to help you with a good experience discus are very enjoyable when they are healthy happy and eating and thats the way it should be.

Absolutley right April. QT is a must. I don't think it matters if you've had your current fish 2weeks, 2 months or a year. Always QT new incoming fish.

Kacey

So you're saying to throw my fish out? Ive had them for about 6 weeks and they show no signs of illness. They were in a 20 gal QT tank until about 2 weeks ago.

Im confused by what you are trying to tell me. I shouldnt buy fish from the sponsers then? They get sick easily?

what shes saying is that when you but new fish you need to qt them before even thinking about putting them near you other fish... if you don't you could end up spreading disease and even end up with dead fish.
    nicole

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast