ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Sand

Registered Member

Default Sand

Lets see your tanks with sand in them

I have been searching and searching and people like too much to zoom in on the fish which doesnt show the overall impression of the sand tank. I did find a few but wanna see more

Right now I am bare bottom but considering a thin layer of sand for appearance sake only. The other half is after me to improve the look of the tank since it is in the living room. So after some reading here I am considering a little pool filter sand.

p.s. It would be even better if the pics showed solid blue discus and a sand bottom.

Registered Member

Default Re: Sand

Hi

the filter sand is light yellowish white. It will look with your discus with a black background. I used to have 6 blue diamonds with this sand they look great

Here are some pictures of our tank. It is undergoing a renovation because the white sand was too much work. I kept this set up for about a year though and always liked the way it looked when it was clean.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vince+Carrie View Post
    Here are some pictures of our tank. It is undergoing a renovation because the white sand was too much work. I kept this set up for about a year though and always liked the way it looked when it was clean.
    very nice looking tank

too much work?

Real Name
    Mike

DSC_0001a.JPG
    I tried the sand but ultimately I liked the sandy textured painted bottom.

i love the sand as well
    but its just easier to maintain either bare or planted
    its too easy to see the poop and it takes a little longer to clean
    with my 3 kids running around i couldn't have my arm in my tank
    that long
    now i just syphon the bottom real quick close the lid while draining
    and i have a timer to let me know when to stop draining and when to stop filling
    i have it down to a science now

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...t/100_1367.jpg

Bad pic, but it shows the sand...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like sand but it get this black line and it smells so badly so i have it in the corners for my plants. I also have to hand syphon then use python after i got the poop. beautiful tanks by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince+Carrie View Post

IMO that tank looks gorgeous! Fabulous understated plants offset by well placed driftwood and spectacular white sand.

But PLEASE. Tell me those plants are plastic, or I'm gonna have to go to my room and just weep for a while. And if they are real - God bless you, for that is an astounding achievement in a discus tank!

Either way though - it looks great.
    Steve -
    Discus novice. Planted tank pilgrim.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by architect1 View Post
    I like sand but it get this black line and it smells so badly so i have it in the corners for my plants. I also have to hand syphon then use python after i got the poop. beautiful tanks by the way.
    Maybe its rotting plant roots underneath the sand? I've heard rumors about anerobic bacteria that accumulate under sand (it looks like dark patches in the sand) if its not stirred up occasionally...
    When life gives you tanks, raise fish!
    90 gallon:
    5 discus, 10-15 rosy reds, 1 striped raphael cat, 4 otocinclus, 6 Corydoras virginiae, 13 neon tetras

You should keep the layer of sand fairly thin and stir it up occasionally to keep it clean. I never had a problem with my sand smelling bad or showing dark spots. I use pool filter (silica) sand in my cichlid tanks instead of gravel and I love it. I don't have live plants, though.

Vince+Carrie, I'd be interested to know more about your plants as well. Are they real or plastic? I doubt I could ever keep real plants like that, but if they're plastic I'd love to know what brand and where you got them That tank is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by lilim10 View Post
    Maybe its rotting plant roots underneath the sand? I've heard rumors about anerobic bacteria that accumulate under sand (it looks like dark patches in the sand) if its not stirred up occasionally...
    interesting though there. but I dont have a heavy rooting system. I want more plants, but I need the lights and maybe diy. I think its filth and what not.

Hey Vince what is your tank set up, filter, lights and co2?