AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: "Fungus" on eyes

Default "Fungus" on eyes

Well it happened finally after such good luck with my fish I have run into a snag in one of my tanks. I have what appreas to be a fungus/bacterial infection showing pu on the eyes of several of my wilds. When I first noticed it, it was only one fish and I though nothing much of it as they had just undergone a major panic attack and I erroneously figured it was a scratch. Boy was I wrong. As you can see from the pics it is growing over the lense cap of the eyes. The fish are otherwise healthy and active, eating etc.

With the exception of the nitrates Parameters are generally ok, but here goes.
    Nitrates 160. I know very high.
    nitrite 0
    hardness 150+
    alkalinity is testing low
    Ph is below 6 near as I can tell with my test kit.
    I kn ow the nitrate are ouotrageous. I have had some sewrious family issues at this end which have caused me to be less dilligent about such things. however all is getting back to normal. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: "Fungus" on eyes

first thing i would do
    if i were you i would small small waterchanges every couple of hours till the nitrates are like 10

Yup first thing I did, I know how important those are. They will definitely continue until the levels are where they should be.

Personally, I'd do waterchanges of at least 50% once per day (twice if it was the weekend) until that eye improves. No sense medicating unless you have nitrates under control.

Terry

Registered Member

i had the same problem but it didnt get to this stage.
    i wiped all the glass from inside clean then i did 2 100% water change a day for twodays, then it was gone.

also i know some might disagree, but i used salt two spoons for every 10gallons.
    hope this helps.

Just a quick update. The fish are clearing up nicely near as I can tell. The mega water changes are doing the trick so far, however will keep them up for the foreseeable future for obvious reasons. Thanks for your input
    Last edited by Gordon C. Snelling; 09-11-2008 at 11:00 PM.