ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: new discus

Registered Member

Default new discus

Hi, I just got some new discus and they seemed fine and eating well in their new tank for a couple of days but then slowly each one started to develop this problem where they would clamp up one of their pectoral fins (only one side) and would lean to one side sometimes. And they are also more jittery. Can you guys please diagnose what is wrong? Thanks

Default Re: new discus

Did you check the water perameters. Is your tank cycled ?? Did you place them in with other fish?? Temp alright?? Did you feed them too much at first and they are getting a little bloated ??

Registered Member

I cycled the tank with another filter from an established tank for over a week. I'm not sure if that was enough. I set the temp at about 88-90. I only fed a little at the beginning and then less when I noticed they weren't that interested in food anymore. It's weird because all of them are sick except for one which used to be a bully but calmed down since he saw the others were sick.

I think that temp is too high.

I'm surprised the more experienced keepers haven't weighed in to help. Its my impression if you didn't put fish food in the tank during the time you were cycling it, he good bacteria may have died off. When I cycle out a tank with used media, I put treated tap water, then sponges from an existing tank in the new tank right before I place the new fish in it. That really catches the bio to start the new tank. If your tank has some problems and is not cycled you could use more media from your other tank or use Bio-spira.. Check all the water perameters with your test kit and turn the temp down as already suggested, maybe to 84 right now.

Registered Member

Thanks for the input. I will try those things.

Registered Member Tropical Haven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shd17 View Post
    I cycled the tank with another filter from an established tank for over a week.

If you cycled that tank with another established filter for a week without feeding the filter with ammonia then you killed a lot of the bacteria that was in it which will cause spikes in your water parameters.
    Scott