ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Prefilter for Rena XP4

Default Prefilter for Rena XP4

I want to install a more efficent prefilter. I have an AZOO 10 gallon sponge filter that fits the lift tube, but a little loose. What can I use to attach (glue, silicon, epoxy, ?), and not be worried about it hurting my fish or coming off over time?

Thanks
    Charles "Chuck" Scoggins
    Pueblo, Colorado

Registered Member

Default Re: Prefilter for Rena XP4

Just a couple ideas here. Can you get a rubberband over the foam to snug it up around the tube? Could you wrap a thin layer of filter floss around the tube and then pull the foam over it stuffing the floss down as you pull up the foam?

Quote Originally Posted by discussmith View Post
    Just a couple ideas here. Can you get a rubberband over the foam to snug it up around the tube? Could you wrap a thin layer of filter floss around the tube and then pull the foam over it stuffing the floss down as you pull up the foam?
    Oops, I did not exactly state what I wanted. What I meant was I have a complete sponge filter that I have removed the top from (hose attachment). The opening will accept the extra pipe piece I have from the inlet tube assembly. It is loose by approx .003 to .005 thousands, just loose enough to be less than snug. That's what I meant by glue, epoxy, etc. I have a piece of sponge rubber banded to the inlet. I have a ton of extra sponge replacements from my prior Angelfish breeding operation, and was thinking I could use them for a prefilter.

Thanks,
    Charles "Chuck" Scoggins
    Pueblo, Colorado

Hey All,

I decided to use silicone to seal the gap between the sponge filter body and the XP uplift tube. See pic's below for progress. The silicone is in the process of drying so I'll post more pics once it is ready to go in the tank.

May Our Threads Cross Again...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Charles "Chuck" Scoggins
    Pueblo, Colorado

Hey,

Here is what the finished prefilter look like. I need to wait another 22 hours before I can install in my tank. Just a quick update.

May our Threads Cross Again,
    Charles "Chuck" Scoggins
    Pueblo, Colorado

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1Chuck9669 View Post
    Hey,

Here is what the finished prefilter look like. I need to wait another 22 hours before I can install in my tank. Just a quick update.

May our Threads Cross Again,
    So simple! been thinking about this for some time...
    J

Hi All,

Well, the prefilter has cured and been installed on the inlet of the canister intake. No noticeable difference on the flow rate of the filter. It fits a little tight against the glass, but not enough to pull the tube out of the suction cup clips that hold the tube. I might make a second one to install while I'm cleaning the other. Can't say this will work with other canister filters, but the XP tube and the Azoo 10gallon sponge filter fit pretty good.

Some before and after photos.

May our threads cross again...
    Last edited by 1Chuck9669; 09-21-2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Pictures did not post
    Charles "Chuck" Scoggins
    Pueblo, Colorado

Registered Member

Hi Chuck
    How do you like the your prefilter is working for you ,i am curious if you are happy with it
    ron

Hi Ron,

Yes, I like it very much. It saves on having to clean out too much junk out of the sponges in the canister itself. I do squeeze the prefilter sponge out in removed tank water each time I change water. No noticable degradation on the overall flow. It can be a little tricky removing one pipe from the other as they can be tight. I just put it back on without too much tightening.

Thanks for asking
    Charles "Chuck" Scoggins
    Pueblo, Colorado

Real Name
    Ricardo

hey 1Chuck9669 do you know if this is the right AZOO? http://cgi.ebay.com/AZOO-OXYGEN-PLUS...2em118Q2el1247
    i have a rena xp3 that i need to make a prefilter for and i like your setup. if that's not the one can you point me in the right direction? thank you

wow chuck that's a killer idea. I'm so going to try it with my xp3. I hate cleaning the garbage around and in the tubs. Nice job love the pics they help out a lot.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    hey 1Chuck9669 do you know if this is the right AZOO? http://cgi.ebay.com/AZOO-OXYGEN-PLUS...2em118Q2el1247
    i have a rena xp3 that i need to make a prefilter for and i like your setup. if that's not the one can you point me in the right direction? thank you
    bump to check if this would make a good prefilter for my xp3? thank you