AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Northeast Discus Meeting Autumn, 2008

Default Re: Northeast Discus Meeting Autumn, 2008

Hi Pat,

We've had get togethers infrequently over the years..usually at my house... Now we've taken it to the next levels..namely .. More frequent meetings and at other peoples homes... Where it ultimately leads ? who knows.. right now just focusing on getting hobbyists together to meet and talk Discus...have a fun social event and build a small discus community in the Northeast..

We have no club dues, by-laws, affiliations or anything like that at this point in time... Just taking lots of baby Steps and enjoying the fishes along the way!

If you are ever up in CT please let me know..My doors are open and I am sure I could arrange a social gathering to welcome you!

take care,
    al

ps..

Rob..Thanks!
    Ryan... Sounds like its time to try and start one up...I'll help you thru the forum anyway I can if you want to give it a shot.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Hey all,
    On that website..was doing a bit of work on the website and would like to incorporate pictures from your Fishrooms and tanks where possible..

Please send me some photos of your tanks, fishroom ..etc...I'll include your name with any images used.

email to brewmaster15@netscape.com

Steve (scolley)....some pics of your planted tank would be great, Mark(bastalker)...how about the greens? anyone else...got a favorite fish you want to see posted...send me the pics...

and hey...what would a website /club/association be without a logo...send me any ideas there as well!!! might as well have some fun here...

Thanks!!!

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi Pat,

We've had get togethers infrequently over the years..usually at my house... Now we've taken it to the next levels..namely .. More frequent meetings and at other peoples homes... Where it ultimately leads ? who knows.. right now just focusing on getting hobbyists together to meet and talk Discus...have a fun social event and build a small discus community in the Northeast..

We have no club dues, by-laws, affiliations or anything like that at this point in time... Just taking lots of baby Steps and enjoying the fishes along the way!

If you are ever up in CT please let me know..My doors are open and I am sure I could arrange a social gathering to welcome you!

take care,
    al

ps..

Rob..Thanks!
    Ryan... Sounds like its time to try and start one up...I'll help you thru the forum anyway I can if you want to give it a shot.
    Thanks Al, but as much as I wish I could, I simply dont have enough time to devote to it fully. School has been keeping me exceptionally busy this semester (why did I think 15 credit hours would be easy?). I'll have to take pictures of what I do on my time off down here...a lot of people will find it cool. I'll take pics next Thursday to show everyone. I'll give y'all a hint....it involves the UF Tropical Aquaculture Lab.

-Ryan

Ryan,
    I'll have to take pictures of what I do on my time off down here...a lot of people will find it cool. I'll take pics next Thursday to show everyone. I'll give y'all a hint....it involves the UF Tropical Aquaculture Lab.
    cool....can't wait to see the pics!

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Patrick

Cool
    Thanks. We always talk about driving north but never seem to have the time.
    Between club meetings, conventions and such. lol
    Excuses excuses.
    I may suprise you one day. lol

Pat
    Pat Kelly

Real Name
    Patrick

Ryan, are there regular fish clubs in your area?
    You could join one of them, find some of the other Discus people that are in there and possibly start a Discus Study group within the other club?
    Just a thought. Would take no work then. The incorporation, tax, website and all that stuff would fall under the parent club.

I'll shut up now.

pk
    Pat Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm going at this from the point of view that it will be a place to showcase past meetings and get togethers by the group, Info on upcoming ones, Discus photos and information..Possibly if interest is there...member directory and Bios... Fun stuff... For now I will work on this...down the line maybe someone else in the group can takeover a bit and so on.

take care,
    al
    Hi Al,

I am ready for any and all tasks associated with this website. You have to tell me what, how and when. I am not a web pro either but I think I can manage.. so as and when you see your hands are getting more full than they already are with this, give me a buzz my friend and I shall be there .. count on it..

Ashay
    Ashay Sathe
    Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice.

Blog: http://vrsathe.blogspot.com/

My son said this weekend sometime for the photos Al...He has become quite the photographer with the tripod you gave him!! He loves it!

I will email em to you as soon as I can.
    Mark

OK I missed it. When and where?
    Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Registered Member

Re: Northeast Discus Meeting Autumn, 2008
    Hello Simply Friends,

My special thanks and apologies to Al for being flexible and very accommodative bearing the embarrassment of my inadvertent confirmation of dates without checking or making assumptions.

For benefit of everyone my home address is:

80 West Wynd Terrace,
    Middletown, CT 06457.

My home is right to off I-91 Exit 21 (and off Route 9 exit for rt-372). Its about 45-50 miles south of Bardleys (BDL) airport while 100-120 miles north and south of JFK and BOS respectively. Al has already posted a hotel plus there is a decent Courtyard Mariott right off exit 21 (same exit as my home):

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ford-cromwell/

plus a Mariott @ Exit 23 in Rocky Hill

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...tt-rocky-hill/

For any further arrangements and other details please PM me. Its not necessary you have bring something. Your presence is important.. rest assured. Please feel free to invite your family/ significant other whatever case it may be.
    Al has offered to come and take a look at his facility which is only 20 mins away from where I live. Thanks Al for the offer and I am sure there in no one living on face of earth who would deny that offer (me inclusive). We can surely make a trip there.

The start time is 2 pm. If folks travel plans gets them to reach sooner, you are most welcome.

The rough agenda is:

2pm – Meet and greet, drinks, appetizers
    3.30 – A round of discussion: 1-1 w/ Al (your membership on the forum depends on this )
    Followed by dinner - If weather permits we can grill.

Then visit to:
    1. Mike Deegan gracefully agreed to have all of us to his facility. He is a sponsor on the forum - BlackWater Aquaria.
    2. Visit to Al’s place

Request: I feel very sorry to say this, but due to religious and dietary constraints we have restrictions on red meat. So for meat I will offer chicken items as the course of food with other vegitarian entrees. I will make sure you will not be disappointed – rest assured.

NOV 8th it is Blow the Horn of Gondor - Friends are coming!!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Finman57 View Post
    Ryan, are there regular fish clubs in your area?
    You could join one of them, find some of the other Discus people that are in there and possibly start a Discus Study group within the other club?
    Just a thought. Would take no work then. The incorporation, tax, website and all that stuff would fall under the parent club.

I'll shut up now.

pk
    Yup, there is quite a large club here in Tampa. Unfortunetly, there is only one other gentleman out of 50+ members who does discus. It is a good idea...one that I might have to pursue further. Its a bit different down here though. Farm visits are a regular thing since all the ornamental farms are in our back yard and easy to access through the club. I guess we're fortunate in that respect. But a discus-specific meeting would be awesome. It would be fun to do, but most likely not very easy to get any amount of people to suport. But we'll see.

-Ryan

Registered Member

Glad I checked up on you guys!! Didn't even notice the trip down to Discusland... (hope you're feeling better, Hans!)

I'll do my best to get that day off. I'll go rub my discus for good luck.
    What do you give a man who already has Discus?

Cash.

OK, this whole thread has gone off topic IMO . People don't go to fish meetings to find out what they can do for the community. They go to find out what the community can do for them. (JFK is rolling over in his grave for that statement - please forgive me!)

So, I'm going! And I'm TRULY ready to give BACK to the community for what will undoubtedly be another wonderful experience. But I have a specific need...

Is it possible that anyone has a plant (preferably floating) that does a good job of soaking up nitrates, that you could give me a cutting of?

I'm gonna come whether anyone has that or not. So if I HAVE anything that might be beneficial to YOU, please let me know before November so I can work it out for you.

So, now that I've put selfishness out in the public eye, establishing the fact that our motivations are not always altruistic, please PM requests for help, plants, etc, as both fine and expected. Cheers.
    Last edited by scolley; 10-04-2008 at 09:59 AM.
    Steve -
    Discus novice. Planted tank pilgrim.

That's the spirit Steve !! That's why we have the club.. Share info, learn from each other,barter if possible, sell and buy from each other when possible. I can't wait to visit Mike ( Blackwater) and Al's place in addition to visit with Ahsay, his family ( thanks again Ahsay) and all. This all is just too cool. Thanks to Uncle Al and his endless amount of energy and knowledge !!

Quote Originally Posted by scolley View Post
    Is it possible that anyone has a plant (preferably floating) that does a good job of soaking up nitrates, that you could give me a cutting of?
    My neighbour has a nice quality water sprite that grows like weed and is also a thin leaf nicer version not the regular thick leaf version as in LFS. That plant is gr8 floater but dunno if that meets your specific needs. I get those from him all the time or used to get them from him always before I went into bare bottom extravaganza !!!!
    So lemme know.. and what you can give me in turn.. lets see.. how about @ 3pm?

Cheers
    Ashay
    Ashay Sathe
    Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice.

Blog: http://vrsathe.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast