ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BH location help!

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

Default Re: BH location help!

Quote Originally Posted by gotfish? View Post
    i get mine from asian markets, they sell them dirt cheap....they grind it up for me too
    Can you provide store name, address, phone for those asian markets ?

Registered Member DiscusDreamer's Avatar

super wal mart has it

Quote Originally Posted by gotfish? View Post
    i get mine from asian markets, they sell them dirt cheap....they grind it up for me too
    Can you pls tell me what is the name of the supper market?
    Thanks in advance.

Corry

the market close to me is by the san fernando valley, i dont think its practical for you to drive all the way up here just for that....im not sure if theres any market close by westminister, isnt that by OC? check the yellow pages, or better yet, drive around prodominant asian cities and ask around...sorry if i wasnt really any help, hope you find one
    benedict

Registered Member

i also live in San Fernando Valley but I haven't had much luck finding beefheart in local markets or grocery stores. gotfish, do you mind telling me the market you are talking about?

Real Name
    Ricardo

i've never fed beefheart to my discus. how do you prep and store it? i bought some off ebay once because i couldn't find any locally and it caused three of my discus to die. so i have stayed away from it since but i'm thinking it wasn't the beefheart, it was just their beefheart

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    i've never fed beefheart to my discus. how do you prep and store it? i bought some off ebay once because i couldn't find any locally and it caused three of my discus to die. so i have stayed away from it since but i'm thinking it wasn't the beefheart, it was just their beefheart
    I take it, thaw it enough to where i can cut it easily enough and its flexible enough to work with. Then just cut out the fat and veins you can get. Then go from there. Grind it, chop it, etc. Then refreeze.

I buy mine in 2-4lb packs at Wal-Mart. Pre sliced, so all you have to do is trim the slices up.
    -Matt

Registered Member

try to get fresh by ordering it from your butcher, then remove the fat and membranes, run it through the grinder, (I'm surprised to hear that a store will grind it for you, it is against the law in CA for a butcher to grind any organs in a butcher shop where the grinder is used for other cuts of meat.) try to grind up frozen prawns with it (thy are mushy when raw)

place in zip-lock sandwich bags, close the bag, then flatten out the beef heart. you can use a butter knife to score it through the bag without cutting the bag. this will make it a lot easier to break of chunks at feeding time.

don't forget to rinse out the blood prior to adding the shrimp. you can add spirulina powder to the mix (just a little or the discus wont eat the mix). if you don't rinse the beefheart it will foul the water.

you can try to locate a custom butcher shop, they may have some

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12