ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Any idea what strain these are please ?

Registered Member

Default Any idea what strain these are please ?

Hi

I bought 2 new discus yesterday and one was labeled a golden pidgeon blood and the other a golden albino but these look far from it for me and would like know other people opinions please.

Thanks for the help

Craig

Default Re: Any idea what strain these are please ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scat View Post
    Hi

I bought 2 new discus yesterday and one was labeled a golden pidgeon blood and the other a golden albino but these look far from it for me and would like know other people opinions please.

Thanks for the help

Craig

Hi Craig,

I believe the first pic is pattern pigeon and the second pic is only an Golden base melon and not albino.(Just my opinion,because of the black iris that shown in th pic)
    Hope im not wrong.

Adrian

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

I don't know what they are but I would have left them in the bag, resealed the box, and sent them back. Sorry.
    http://www.atthegateministries.org/index.html

Hi Scat,

I'm not sure what they are either, but enjoy your fish!!! No matter what strain they might be you will gain valuable knowledge for their care. Keep checking back here, and research all the threads both past and present. Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your fish may not be show quality, but they will teach you all the lessons you need to learn to be a successful discus keeper. I wish you the best!

May Our Threads Cross Again...
    Charles "Chuck" Scoggins
    Pueblo, Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by 1Chuck9669 View Post
    Hi Scat,

I'm not sure what they are either, but enjoy your fish!!! No matter what strain they might be you will gain valuable knowledge for their care. Keep checking back here, and research all the threads both past and present. Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your fish may not be show quality, but they will teach you all the lessons you need to learn to be a successful discus keeper. I wish you the best!

May Our Threads Cross Again...
    I agree, except he was sold an albino discus but the either fish is far from it. That alone would really piss me off. The rest may be subjective and with good care could turn out like great looking fish.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys

Im in no way pissed off about what i bought and certainly wont be boxing them up and sending them back

These guys will grow up to become a interesting addition to the other 33 discus i have

Cheers
    Craig

Hi Craig,
    Doesn't appear to be any albino in there unless its recessive....looks like you have a common PB (the patterned one) and a Pb?mellon?MR of some kind.... Both fish if they have Golden in them...have far more PB...hence the Peppering you see. The solid fish may have Golden in it....Hard to tell from a photo...so guessing here.
    Shapewise they aren't too bad...The solid ones shape is actually very nice.. If you don't mind Peppering these should turn out nicely with good care.... I"m not totally turned off by a little Pepper in a PB I guess because I remember when they first came out...and the choices were pepper, more pepper..and even more pepper... so...as long as you know what you are getting and are happy with it...thats fine in my book....peppered fish like these won't win any awards as one of the goals in the hobby is to remove pepper ( that why breeders use the goldens to minimize/remove it ).

I would however talk to the seller..Theres a big difference in Price between what they were labled as and what you got. If the seller doesn't know for sure what they have..educate them so they don't make further mistakes... If they do know... Then they should have listed it as what it was and priced accordingly.

HTH,
    al

Ps... ..be careful that first one (patterned PB) looks like its coming down with something... Fins look opaque and clamped....be sure to QT well.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Thanks Al

The price was cheap and the seller wasnt trying to mislead me he just wasnt sure and listed them as what they came in as.

Thanks for the tips about peppering, will give a updated pic on these guys to show how they progress

Cheers
    Craig

One man's fish is another man's dinner.

I'd be pissed getting these but I've been spoiled by Kenny, Hans, et al over the years. If you like them thats all that really matters, enjoy.
    Mark

i think they look great
    please post some pics in a few months
    to see some progress on your new babies