ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final update

Real Name
    Brian

Default Final update

First off, my apologies to my friend Al and the Simplydiscus team in general for my less than aggressive participation to this contest. Prioritizing time has never been one of my strong suits, and with my day and evening work schedules I just have not been around that much. That being said, I also want to thank Al and Simply for not only allowing me to participate in this contest but also to acquire some high quality crosses that will hopefully be a part of a successful breeding program someday!

I know some others had issues that have been hard to diagnose, but I assure you all that these fish have been nothing less than perfectly healthy, aggressive eaters and have grown steadily since the day I received them. Of the six, one is slightly larger and one is obviously smaller than the rest. This has been my experience with almost every group of discus I have acquired since I got back into this hobby five years ago.

My regimen at first was daily water changes and feedings 6-8 times per day, including color bits and my homemade beef heart recipe. Unfortunately, I have slacked off of this consistency but I still have had really good luck with strong, healthy stock to begin with. The smallest is around 4” at this point and the largest is around 5 ½”. All but the smallest have nice shape (although the smallest is slightly footballish), their patterns are consistent with the strain, bars are evenly spaced and all have nice red eyes. In addition, 2 of them have been finding serious interest in the breeding cone and have been pecking at it for a few weeks now. I’d like to cross these guys back to the Golden Albino’s that I got from Frank a couple of years ago, or maybe with some Rose Reds or MP’s and see what happens.

I can’t really say I learned much more than this forum has taught me over the past few years, other than to head-off potential problems. I did have one start to stick its head in the corner and slacked off eating for a few days. I immediately cranked up the heat to 93f for 10 days and added salt. It rebounded immediately and now is just as aggressive an eater as the rest.

They've come a long way. Hope you enjoy the before's and after's...

Thanks again for this opportunity and best of luck to all the others who participated!!

First arrived...

Today...

Default Re: Final update

Great job. One thing I think that would be helpful to us as observers is what regiment did you go through to prepare the water for water changes. Directly from tap?? Put tap in a a container and airate it for a certain amount of time?? RO ?? What was fed for fod helps.. What size tank did you start with and did you keep them in the same tank from the start or did you put them in a larger tank as they grew?? Thanks. That is a great idea to cross back to golden albinos, san merah and the like.. Keep us posted please if any future generations or outcrosses come from them as breeders.. GREAT !!
    Last edited by dpt8; 10-05-2008 at 05:22 PM.

Registered Member

Hi Jeep,

Very nice looking fish specimens to end up with.

Nice quality and size.

Wish you all the best in the future.

Regards
    Armandi

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Nice job,great bunch of fish you have their now.

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Brian,
    No Problem there at all....It was my personal pleasure here and I had alot of fun setting this contest up, sending out the fish, and watching them Grow....So you are very welcome.. I know that at times life gets crazy....so on behalf of Simply...Thanks to you and all the contestants here for participating.

Looks like you have a great group of potential breeders now...I'll be watching to see what you do here.. Genetically speaking there is a Small chance that some of the Alenquers I sent out have a recessive Albino Gene.....Crossing back to an albino Golden should be a very interesting goal...The albino siblings I kept from the Fry I sent out...look similar to albino goldens.. I've thought to cross my wild type alenquers to San merahs as well...so good luck on what ever you do there..

Thanks again,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Brian, they look pretty good my friend yep, pretty good indeed!
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Those look really good. You have done a great job with them. I am just mesmerized by there coloring. They look so different than when you first got them. I am curious if you are thinking of trying to breed any of them ? They are just stunning.

Sweet lookin fish Brian! Excellent Job!
    Mark

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by dpt8 View Post
    One thing I think that would be helpful to us as observers is what regiment did you go through to prepare the water for water changes. Directly from tap?? Put tap in a a container and airate it for a certain amount of time?? RO ?? What was fed for fod helps.. What size tank did you start with and did you keep them in the same tank from the start or did you put them in a larger tank as they grew??
    Sorry about that. I think this info was in previous posts but I agree it should be included in the final update. Water was aged tap water from a couple of 55g plastic barrels courtesy of Jack at Discus KC. The food was basically Tetra Colorbits and my home made beef heart recipe. I know many don't agree that BH should be fed to discus, but I've never had an issue with it. Recipe can be found on Simply somewhere but it was easier to find here-

http://forum.bidka.org/showthread.php?t=135

Thier first tank was a 40g QT tank. After a few weeks I intruduced one of my culls from another spawn and all was well. A while later they were moved into a 55g tank where they have remained ever since...

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Looks like you have a great group of potential breeders now...I'll be watching to see what you do here.. Genetically speaking there is a Small chance that some of the Alenquers I sent out have a recessive Albino Gene.....Crossing back to an albino Golden should be a very interesting goal...
    Let's hope it's a large percentage although I wouldn't mind breeding some more just like these!! because I agree with everyone that the colors are very nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    Brian, they look pretty good my friend yep, pretty good indeed!
    Thanks Paul. Now I need a new computer *wink-wink*

Thanks again everyone and I'll post some future updates as things progress...

Real Name
    Brian

Oops, I thought I was late and now I see the deadline was November 1st. I may have gotten more size on them by then

Great job Brian and thanks alot of the extra info !! David T

Great job Brian... they're gorgeous!!!

Judi
    There's two dates in time that they'll carve on your stone, and everyone knows what they mean.
    But what's more important is the time that is known, as that little dash there in between.

Registered Member

Good stock,Knowledge and husbandry skills do pay off!

Great job as always,
    Tad

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks guys!! I must admit, I've become quite attracted to the wild type strains these days...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Thanks guys!! I must admit, I've become quite attracted to the wild type strains these days...

Are we talking discus or chicks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast