ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Aquaclear Hang-on filter w/Sponge

Registered Member

Default Aquaclear Hang-on filter w/Sponge

I'd like some opinions...I'd like to use my Aquaclear Hang-on filter for bio-filtration only. I thought about putting a large sponge over the intake inside the tank to act as a sponge filter.

Any thoughts?

Allen

Default Re: Aquaclear Hang-on filter w/Sponge

Hi Allen, not sure what it is you need to know....I use AC filters on all my tanks; the larger ones, used to be AC 500...some smaller, AC 110, now the #s are changed, just confuses me, lol......put sponge pcs on the intakes & the large sponge that comes with inside....I love'm...in addition, each tank has large sponge air-driven filters....together, this seems to be all thats needed...anytime I test, all is ok..if I use extra sponge filters, there's always one at the ready for emergency situations....JMO,

Dottie
    TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!

PROUD TO BE A FOUNDING MEMBER OF NADA! MAY WE CONTINUE TO PROSPER!

Registered Member

Thanks Dottie!

What is sponge pcs? And do you mean just sit the large sponge that comes with the aquaclear inside the tank or cover the intake tube with it?

I was wondering if I could just put a sponge over the intake and if that would function like a normal sponge filter that is driven by an air pump.

Allen

Registered Member

A sponge on the intake is a prefilter, which will collect a lot of the junk youare trying to filter out of the water column--it does colonize bacteria and if you rinse itonly in tank water [when you dowater changes] it can be as rich a biobed as any other sponge inthe system. Prefilters keep the actual filters much cleaner. I use them on all tanks, regardless of filter type.
    Harriett

Registered Member

Harriet,

Thanks a bunch for the reply. Would you use the actual sponge that came with the aquaclear or something else like the thinner blue pads and just wrap them around the intake tube.

Allen

Real Name
    Francis

Hi Allen,

I am using a pre filter like this one.

and

Cheers
    Francis