AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy your discus?

Registered Member

Default Where to buy your discus?

Which is better: buy dicus from your LFS or off the internet? My LFS doesn't always have very good variety of discus, and they weren't very healthy last time I was there.

How do the fish stay warm when shipped if you buy off the net?

Which are the best places to buy fish off the internet, any good links?

Default Re: Where to buy your discus?

I would strongly recommend some of the sponsors here at Simply. I have got three shipments all in good shape and have grown to adults and spawned.

LFS is not the way to go. If you want quality and healthy Discus look up Kenny in the sponsor section here. Read some of his customer reviews. You will spend less money and get better fish. They ship with heat packs to keep them warm.

Good Luck!

- Mark

Registered Member

I pick up my discus in person. That way I get to see them before I buy. I am fortunate in that I have 3 Quality places semi local I can drive to and pick up discus.
    ( Great lakes Discus, Central ohio discus, and Trilbys Tropicals.) My shipping time is 2 hours max when I buy at Cary's and 1 hr from Mike and Trilbys.
    Don T.

Registered Member DiscusDreamer's Avatar

Where are you located?

Real Name
    Matt

The sponsers whether it be local pickup from them or ordering over the net! Its well worth it.
    -Matt

Registered Member

I purchased my first 5 LFS and they are doing great and growing well. I agree that it would have been less money to purchase them from a sponsor here.

I tried to purchase them from ones local to me but none of them got back to me. I would have ordered it from other sponsors on the the net, but I like to hand pick my own. While I know they would have sent me excellent fish I just like to personally pick them. Makes them more "mine/personal" if that makes sense.

I don't think LFS are all that bad if you know what you are looking for and they are reputable.

I did pick up 3 of my from another hobbyist on the forum and those are doing really well as well.

I have bought from Mike at central Ohio Discus twice now. I am very happy with my discus. I hear Kenny is great to deal with as well. Hope that helps, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyDiscus View Post
    I have bought from Mike at central Ohio Discus twice now. I am very happy with my discus. I hear Kenny is great to deal with as well. Hope that helps, Ed
    I've purchased from Mike (CODISCUS) as well. Great guy. I hear the same about Kenny. Simply Sponsors or local hobbyist-breeders are the only way to go IMO.
    Chaz

Definately from the sponsors here
    They know how to ship and how to raise great discus

Ardan

Registered Member

All of the sponsors here are great to deal with I have heard many times, but I have personally dealt with him and must say he is the man!

Registered Member

I wish I could have bought mine from one but once again none in the area contacted me back.

Though the 3 I purchased from another hobbyist on the forums got them from some of the sponsors here and like I said they are great.

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Quote Originally Posted by above design View Post
    LFS is not the way to go. If you want quality and healthy Discus............................
    - Mark
    I think it's BS there are just good LFS and lesser LFS, you just have to know who you buy from, just like with breeders, dealers, etc. etc. etc.
    I've seen shops (no I don't give names) who do a MUCH better job with their Discus a some breeders (again no names)

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-Hans View Post
    I think it's BS there are just good LFS and lesser LFS, you just have to know who you buy from, just like with breeders, dealers, etc. etc. etc.
    I've seen shops (no I don't give names) who do a MUCH better job with their Discus a some breeders (again no names)

Hans
    Hans, I am sure there are good LFS out there, but not everyone has one in their area. Sandy said the one by her didn't have healthy looking fish. As for me, I looked at 4 near me and then drove an hour and a half to another one before I decided to buy fish from a sponsor here. I wish there was a nice LFS near me!

Registered Member

I am located near Findlay Ohio. I agree with Hans; Some LFS have quality discus. Trilby's in Toledo is one. Don T.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast