ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: A final thank you! 11/03/08

Default A final thank you! 11/03/08

The stranger has popped his head back in . It's been a really hectic last 4 months for me and I want to say sorry guys that my updates fell off so drastically. I still love to look and care for these little guys but as my previous thread stated 'Life happens'.

I just want to say that without a doubt this I have grown leaps and bounds via the information I've learned here on this forum. I thank you all for that. I know I wouldn't have been able to make it through some of my trials and tribulations without the help of those on this site as well as Al himself. Al, I'd like to thank you for the opportunity to you have given me to be in this contest and learn first hand what it takes to grow juvies from such a small size to adulthood. Unbelievable that it's almost a year since the start of this contest.

As you all may know I had a bit of a rough start with my growouts right out of the gate. With a few not making it through the first couple of days, a bacterial infection that nearly wiped them all out, to a ruptured tank that almost left me with fish jerky. I'll be the first to let you know that a little luck is not a bad thing to have when raising these guys. However, what I have also learned is that given a good starting point and the correct information, these fish can be quite resilient and hardy.

I started these guys on daily multiple water changes and heavy feedings throughout the first 5-6months. They ate a variety of different foods from Omega flakes, Colorbits, bloodworms, brine shrimp, beefheart, varying frozen foods, red wrigglers, daphnia, and live mosquito larva. As they've grown their water change routine has change as well as their diet. They receive a 75% water change now every two to three days with about 4 light feedings per day with an intermittent snack of either FBW or red wrigglers. I believe they've turned out pretty nicely overall. I'd say a couple are at the 4.5" mark, more at about 5.5" and about 3 at the 6" or slightly larger.

Well I think I've written enough and will get some pics posted up hopefully tomorrow when I get back home.

Take care and God bless

Default Re: A final thank you! 11/03/08

Here's some teasers from pics I had already uploaded:

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Hey there Jose. Your fish look AWESOME mate!!! Actually l need a larger monitor to get those discus to fit LOL.
    Wow 6" Discus..... you've got to be happy with that!!
    I remember at the start that you had a few problems with your discus...but you hung on and turned it around. All l can say is the persistence pays.
    Well done my friend!
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Beautiful, period.

I have always admired your Alenquers my friend!! Especially after the start you had with em... Glad yer back!

Now how many tanks are ya gonna set up now?

tc
    Mark

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

jose,
    mate nice to have you back,you have done a great job with your fish,big and healthy job well done.

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Hey, Guys!!! I'm glad ya'll like 'em. I do. I've got a vid of them I'll have to get up soon

Jose, love the color on the one in the last pic!Nice group! But, the threads name makes it sound as if you are quitting discus!
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Registered Member Tropical Haven's Avatar

Nice looking discus, you have sone a terrific job with them.
    Scott

Very nice...they look nice and round.

If I had to mention just one lesson learned from the experience, I think I would have to stress the importance of starting with high quality fish. This contest has been a year-long demonstration of the quality of the discus that Brew provided for the contest.

Through all the misadventures of all the Challengers, Brew's fish were strong and vigorous enough to grow into beautiful adults!

Thanks again Brew!!

-- Scott

Scott, you are more than welcome! I hope that you and the others continue to grow these alenquers out and breed them..I think they've still a long way to go for you all. Keep the photos coming as well!

Best regards!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images