ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Heckels...what to do?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

Default Re: New Heckels...what to do?

Original plan for these guys was into my 4x2x2 120 gal showcase planted tank with altums. However, I may be bringing forward my plans to set up a 3x2x2 85 gal biotope tank (Christmas + Wedding present from my parents! ) so these guys may go in there instead. The 85gal tank will be using a sump filter (which I've read is more suitable due to its wet/dry nature compared to canister) and will be having fine river sand, hanging branches and possibly leaf litter.

Can anyone provide me with a list of fish that would co-habit with heckels in their natural environment? I'm trying to be as purist as possible, so hopefully i'll be able to create a specific river biotope (e.g. Rio Orinocco for Altums) for these Heckels with the appropriate tankmates. If possible, suggestions for a charachin school (hatchets would do too), dwarf cichlids and corydoras would be good!

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    As Larry mentioned in an earlier post I find Heckels are hardier than domectic discus. I rarely have to treat mine for any kind of ailment.
    Sometimes they go off food for a day or two. Let them be without food for a couple of days. Watch them carefully for symptoms of Hex.
    Just a small clarification about what I said earlier in this thread about the ease of keeping Heckels or more to the point, the acclimation of newly imported Heckels.
    I told ilumnae that his Heckels were much easier to acclimate and hardier than his newly imported P. altum angelfish. Altums have broken many more hearts of their would be keepers. maybe because they are intrinsically more delicate than any wild discus or that those involved with collecting and selling wild discus have got their techniques down better. Maybe a little of both.
    I rate newly imported Heckels the least hardy, then Greens and S. haraldi seems the most adaptable in all respects.

I used to use chloramphenicol for the treatment of bacterial diseases in wild discus but This drug has not been available in water soluble capsules for several decades in the USA. It is an extremely potent antibiotic. FDA now only allows the intravenous form to be used as a drug of last resort because about 1:40,000 patients treated with chloramphenicol develop irreversible and usually fatal aplastic aenemia.
    It has been pointed out to me by a knowledgeable colleague that Nalidixic Acid may be a suitable substitute but I have not had the occasion to try it and form an opinion. If it is very similar to chloramphenicol it would lack the nasty habit of rapidly breaking down in water like tetracyclines do. tetracycline has been so over used by the ornamental tropical fish trade that it no longer works on many diseases on which it formally was effective.
    Nalidixic Acid can be purchased by prescription through a vet; maybe even OTC.

With regard to the inclusion of vegetable or fruit matter in the diet of Heckels in aquariums they seem very fickle. Some specimens will sample those foods but mine have never been enthusiastic about fruits and vegetables. Still, I believe they should receive some and I accomplish it in a few ways. I add 1/2 tsp of Spirulina powder and a few sheets of the dried green seaweed sold for feeding reef fish/cup of beef heart blend during formulation.
    I also add about 1/2 tsp of CyclopEeze/cup at the same time. Heckels and other wild discus that have become used to eating earth worm sticks will usually accept Spirulina sticks.
    I only feed Heckels my beef heart blend a few times a week. I tend to feed it more often whenever I'm out of live black worms. Even the Earth Worm Sticks contain a percentage of Spirulina. These 2 stick foods may contain a small amount of kaolin, a naturally occurring clay mineral that many creatures actively seek out. I think it is a portion of the inert binder but it is a fact, based on the stomach content analysis of wild discus, that some mineral grains are present. These are some of the reasons I encourage the inclusion of these foods as part of any balanced diet for both wild and domestic discus. If introduced to the stick foods early in life, domestic discus become rather fond of these foods and it seems to contribute to good growth and color development. They are not very expensive foods since they were originally developed for commercial aquaculture application; primarily as breeder conditioning foods. Expensive as aquaculture foods go but cheap as tropical aquarium fish foods.
    The way the stick foods slowly soften and lie on the bottom suits the way discus like to continuously feed. I have safely fed portions of a size large enough to take the discus several hours to consume. The exact amount to feed must be based on your own empirical experience. Having a nonliving food that lends itself so well to the slow grazing habits of discus is very helpful. My Heckels and Blues will sift the sand substrate in their tanks until they find nearly all these foods. I is a happy circumstance that the various Hypancistrus and Peckoltia spp of plecos I keep and breed are also kept with Discus and they will find any food from the softened sticks that the discus may miss.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 11-26-2008 at 08:11 PM.
    Larry Waybright

Registered Member

ilumnae, how are the heckels now???

From reading the posts - sounds to me your first batch of heckels might have some unknown "illness" or might be shock from the transportation (might be water differences wasn't handled well at LFS, etc) that caused them to hide at the back and turned dark. Whereas your new additions, obviously more healthy to begin with, encouraged the others to join them.

In HK, there is a "Fish Street" where a whole street is full of fish stores - you can find "bag fish" of tetra for US$0.2 to rare black-white stringray Potamotrygon leopoldi for US$3000! They also have 2" discus in a bag - for US$2 each... as well as wild discus import, but I never buy from there as they never take care of the water conditions, nor the fish. I have seen a whole tank of wild blues turned black and slowly wasted away in a store.

I am fortunate that my wild discus supplier sells all his fish as soon as the boxes are open, but he quarantines all his fish for 1 month before he let them out.

When I introduce new fish to my tank - I keep the light off for a few days. The fish settle in much quicker, and come out of the hiding place much sonner. Typically, I only turn my tank lighting for an hour or so a day anyway.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

Thanks for thetips mckchu My heckels are doing very well now. I think you're right in that the 1st batch wasn't all that stable. They touched down in Singapore on Friday night, went straight to the LFS on saturday morning and I bagged them home on sunday afternoon. I was too anxious to grab the nice ones and let my eagerness override my good sense. That being said, I'm quite glad I took my time (over an hour) to observe the fish and pick only the best ones...I think that helped me not lose the entire batch but only 1 piece from that batch.

The next 2 pieces I got were very stable and had been quarantined at the supplier's side for a couple of weeks before going to the LFS (a different LFS...my regular one). Hence I think they were in better shape when I bought them. Like you said, I think these guys coaxed the original batch into better shape.

Now, all of them are venturing around the QT tank and showing relaxed colouration...at least 6 of the 7 are definitely taking dried food already.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

I've been doing some surfing around and it seems that I got some Marimari red heckels. Mine look almost exactly like the first picture in the link below, except that there are more striations:

http://www.amazon-exotic-import.de/G...ari%20Mari.htm

I like the red bars on the anal and dorsal fins...haven't seen them in other heckels before

Wow, I saw those on a site last week and they are my favorite. You have any pictures of your tank?

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

Unfortunately not. My digicam's batteries went kaput (ie. can't take a single shot even after full cahrge), and I haven't had the impetus to replace them yet as the fish are still in their QT tank.

Those red fins are awesome aren't they?

Oh yeah, super gorgeous fish I thought when I saw that link. Out of about 50 different wilds, that particular heckel was my favorite.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

I didn't even know they existed till I saw my own fish destress and colour up! Then I went searching online for photos and found that link. However, they do show varying degrees of red, some are less than others and i think 1 or 2 may look like normal heckels, much like the Marimari heckels below the top photo. However, I'm glad I took my time to choose carefully so that at least I ended up with at least a couple showing full red and the rest some red to varying degrees! very lovely

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

According to Heiko, these Rio marimari heckels are naturally occuring wild hybrids between heckels and blues. Given his recent slipup about asians and wild discus, i don't know how much of that to trust, but it's something to explore

Right, He knows alot about fish...but nothing about people.

I can't wait til you get some pictures of them.

Take care
    Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

I'll try and get less lazy and get new batteries I went to do a count last night...i have 4 showing obvious red, 2 showing obviously no red and 1 that was "blending into the blackground" so i couldn't see for sure..looked like it was potentially red though

Registered Member

I saw similar heckels at our wild discus importer in HK couple of months ago ... basic body color is light yellow, almost golden, instead of the usual brown. There were 4" to 5" each but the price was between US$180 to US$250 a piece!

Of course - didn't get any. They were too expensive when "normal" heckels are typically US$60 or so, and my tank is already too full!!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

wow your importer was trying to cheat you...i got mine at S$40 for the 3.5" ones (conversion is US$1 to S$1.5) and the 4+" ones were S$58! The basic body colour is light yellow, with most of them having red anal/dorsal fins! so pretty

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

My heckels just made the trip to their permanent home...last I looked they were hiding at the back, as would be expected in new (much larger!) surroundings. Hopefully they get used to it soon and swim about...I'll get pictures in then

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast