AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: leave mom or dad

Registered Member

Default leave mom or dad

hi, my pair just spawned again and should i leave mom or dad to take care of the eggs. The mom is a red turq and dad is a red melon. Last time their fry got eaten during the night and i dont know who ate them. The parents sometime are a bit aggressive to each other because they thought either of them is going to eat the eggs.

I have another question how many days does it take the eggs turn into white because its been one day and only 4 eggs have turn white out of 200 eggs.

Please help.

Default Re: leave mom or dad

Hi, SOME say removed whos every is eating the eggs and frys, if you dont see wiggles (frys) on the 3-4 day,and then they will all turn white ,but you did say this is the same pair that have breed ,so dont worry,,,,, i have a pair that produce frys four time and the frys were swimming but they never attach because my aquarium was to dark ,you know what i did, i painted the outside of my aquarium with white paint and the front part clear so i can see the discus ,now i have 10 frys this is there 5 time breeding, this was a small inprovement but i did get some frys and they are 3 weeks old so im praying with there expirence i will get a whole patch on there next breeding GOOD LUCK, MIKE
    Last edited by discus-mike; 11-17-2008 at 01:49 AM.

Registered Member

hi thanks for replying Mike. Right now my pair is doing ok. They each take turn to guard the eggs. I dont know who's bad or good yet so i dont know who to take out. They're in a 55 gallon tank right. Is there alot of people have success with a 55g tank?

That sound great freestlez_14,I always thought it was the male eating the eggs so i removed him after the eggs were lay ,this was on there 4 try and i never got to see who was eating the egg on there 1,2,3, try , i work to many hours, but anyway .. so iremoved him and left the female in with the eggs, the next day they were gone so i said thats enough i just went ahead and added the male back and if it was meant to be so be it and on there 5 try i had 10 frys and they are 3 weeks old small batch but i was happy so i cant wait on there 6 batch this should be a huge ,so good luck and keep me up to date,Thanks Mike
    Last edited by discus-mike; 11-18-2008 at 06:26 PM.

You can try taking out the female after they completed spawning and see how it goes. If the eggs are eaten then put them back together and take out the male next time.

Registered Member

hi right now the parents still guarding the eggs but about 30 percent of the eggs turned white and this is the second day. Will the fry will attract to the dad or the mom better. Mom is a req turq and shes really dark when she has the mucuos. Dad is a red melon and i see no colour difference before or after the spawn. Is 55g tank will be ok?

Thanks.

The Frys are attracted to the male more but once he gets tired he will shake them off and they attach to the female for a little bit but they like the male more because i guess his darker than the mother ,,,,,,male (calbolt blue),,,,female (pigeon blood)

,,,but since your female is darker they will probably attach to her more im just guessing

Mike,
    Last edited by discus-mike; 11-18-2008 at 04:51 AM.

Registered Member

thanks Mike,

Mike, when your fish pair had their batch do they put hatchlings and unhatched ones in a different spot? because my pair spawned on the glass and they put the hatched ones on the cones. Is this a sign of a proven parents?

oh what kind of light do you use for your breeding pair? I put a white light on from 6pm to 12pm and i put a night light on during the night.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by freestylez_14 View Post
    thanks Mike,

Mike, when your fish pair had their batch do they put hatchlings and unhatched ones in a different spot? because my pair spawned on the glass and they put the hatched ones on the cones. Is this a sign of a proven parents?

oh what kind of light do you use for your breeding pair? I put a white light on from 6pm to 12pm and i put a night light on during the night.

thanks.
    Hey, freestlez_14 it look like you have good parents, because mine pair just left them their on the same spot evening when some of the white eggs had some kind of fuzz growing on the eggs the fry just laid on that fuzz i wasnt sure what to do ,so i just left them there, about yours being a proven pair i beleive so because they had frys ,it took mine 5 trys ,but there is one thing when mine had frys on the 1,2,3,4 try they were in the livinroom with alot of commotion, until i got there own room to them self with no disturbings ,lol and i just left them by them self and one day i went to the room and i saw frys attach to the dad ,man i was happy ,about the lights i just leave them on so they wont mistake the frys for food ,i believe some sponsor leave the light on for the frys i read it on here simplydiscus, i hope some of this will help freestlez_14 ,Thanks mike

p.s. give them 2-3 more days for the frys to attached
    p.s.s how many times have the laid eggs
    Last edited by discus-mike; 11-18-2008 at 09:51 PM.

The first 24 hours the fry are at times gonna be all over the place. I do leave the lights on fry tanks for 1 week 24 hours. I do this so that the babies continue to eat on the parents when they are hungry and stay attached with them. The slim coat is so good for them. I will start feeding bbs at day 3. Your red melon will more than likely not darkened up much. I breed those and they really don't change much during breeding or with fry when it comes to fry. The only thing you will notice is if they have a black in there fins this will become darker. The red will not change. IME.

Are you using RO water for changes or aged tap water?

Registered Member

hey, hows it going everybody?

It's been three days since the spawn and there are 23 wigglers, i dont know if thats good or not. My pair, this is the third time they had kids together, the first time they had the eggs was eaten by them. The place of my tank is in the living room and around this time of the year my mom starting to have the Chrismas tree setting up and she keeps walking around the area. Im worry the parents will eat their kids because of frighten at some point. About the water, I changed 25 percent of it on Day 1 using dechlorined tap water. I just took the water straight out of the tap, didnt let it age.

Right now I dont see any sign of parents eating the fry so i will just let them be and I will keep posting.

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: leave mom or dad

Quote Originally Posted by freestylez_14 View Post
    hey, hows it going everybody?

It's been three days since the spawn and there are 23 wigglers, i dont know if thats good or not. My pair, this is the third time they had kids together, the first time they had the eggs was eaten by them. The place of my tank is in the living room and around this time of the year my mom starting to have the Chrismas tree setting up and she keeps walking around the area. Im worry the parents will eat their kids because of frighten at some point. About the water, I changed 25 percent of it on Day 1 using dechlorined tap water. I just took the water straight out of the tap, didnt let it age.

Right now I dont see any sign of parents eating the fry so i will just let them be and I will keep posting.

Thanks
    Do you keep other fish in your tank,that my be a problem and 23 wigglers i think thats good ,since its there first ,i had 20.. now im down to 10 and they are living in there own tank i feed them shave bw,bs an there are feeding so thats a good sign but now i will have to worry about disease/parasites so thats another challenge ,if your using dechlorine remover you dont have to age water. the way i do it i bought a 40 gallon trash can ($10.00) and i age my water in that i use a submersible pump from (ebay) to pump the water to the tank and that works great,IM praying for you but if this does not work for you(if the frys disappear again) try puting them in a room where they wont be bother ,,, and you can get a cheap 29 gallon aquarium thats a good breeding size to set up in that room,,,i got my aquariums from craigslist.org check them out ,so you dont have to removed you other aquarium you can actually buy more DISCUS TO ADD TO THAT TANK ,Thanks Mike

Registered Member

hi, i currently have 2 breeding pair and they both in a 55gallon and this was what i did. I put a divider in the tank so that each pair would have their own side of the tank. I have three 29g tanks which im not currently using, got them for free from my uncle :-) and one of the tank set up so i can move one of my pair in there. The fry are free swimmers at the fifth day right? so im gonna move them out on the forth day. I hope nothing bad is going to happen because i really want the babies to grow out in my 55g. I have 2 cardinal tetra in the tank also and i decide not to move them too since theyre really hard to catch. Oh, did you use white light with your pair or yellow light? Which one is better?

If things goes bad I will put them in my room. Hope not.

thanks.

They will start free swimming on day two of being wigglers. I would advise not to move them and the parents during this time. The parents really need there own breeding tank and to raise the fry. Sometimes the dividers have small holes and the fry will swim to the other side and get eaten. When you set up your 29 gall make sure your tank is cycled out good.

Hi, freestylez_14 ,I agree with angela I will leave them there with parents until there about a 3 weeks or a month old since there so small, i was to afraid to moved them, about the divider with the holes just leave that in and buy a plexi glass from homedepot and make small holes to circulate the water to attach the plexi glass to the divider just tie it down with rope are somethink thats not toxic dont use paperclips they will rust you might want to walk around homedepot and check out to see what youll find i wish i was there to give you a hand, good luck ,Mike

p.s Here is some photo i will download more when i get home at 10o pm central time www.photobucket.com/discus-world my first pair i know there not in the best quality, but happy
    Last edited by discus-mike; 11-19-2008 at 07:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast