ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An Australian Discus Show?

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: An Australian Discus Show?

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne View Post
    Hey Robin, We could offer 'em Cockatoo Island...
    What's the Sports fishing like over there?
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    What's the Sports fishing like over there?
    the only fish I catch are in my net, in my tanks LOL
    Cheers
    Robyn

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne
    Hey Robin, We could offer 'em Cockatoo Island...
    http://www.cockatooisland.gov.au/about/index.html

but flights to BRISBANE or TOWNSVILLE are pretty cheap nowadays....
    yeah, but it's not just the flights. Airport transfers, accommodation, meals.

It would be a great weekend & I'd love to see Rod's 180 tanks, but I could buy 1, maybe 2 wild discus with the cash (gotta find em first, I know, I know). It might be for work I have to pass through Townsville - if Rod's open for visits from the public - I'd love to check it out then.

I already have enough trouble justifying the cost of running my tanks to the other half now. Roxy, you'll have to set up the web cam for me - unless you can sell the cockatoo island thing
    Cheers
    Robyn

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fredg18 View Post
    Hey Darren,
    Have you ever shown any of your fish at any of the shows or been involved with the shows at all
    Hi,
    No i have never shown any of my fish or been involved with the shows,They are for my pleasure some of my favourite fish are far from perfect but i like them,I'm not into the hobby to win trophys or be reconized i just really enjoy them and still get a kick out of every batch of fry.I hope one day to make it to some of the really big discus shows overseas and meet some of the fantastic people involved in this great hobby.

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by TankWatcher View Post
    [url] Roxy, you'll have to set up the web cam for me - unless you can sell the cockatoo island thing
    Hi Robyn, how ya goin?

No problem with the first part. But, I think since you put that link to Cockatoo Island ..our membership just bottomed out......when they see it's Sydney Harbour's version of Alcatraz, a penal colony for convicts, probably where they were deloused......you know I could have just photoshopped a bunch of Great Keppel Island shots onto Sydney Harbour for the promotional material....ding dang...

2 utes...Game fishing in Sydney Harbour??,...if you're game!!! But, I'd turn the lights of before I ate the catch if I was you in case it glows in the dark....

We need a new plan......

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

A bit of sports fishing happening in the harbor.......the big game fishing is a little further out in the cobalt blue water....not that green stuff.

Thanks for the invite but l think l will give Cockatoo Island a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by two utes
    It was this time last year that the First Discus challenge started.
    do you know when the results are out. I keep clicking into the link, but can't find results.

Cockatoo Island sorry Roxanne
    Cheers
    Robyn

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Hi Robyn.....I keep checking it as well. I think all the photos have been submitted, and all the fish judged. Just waiting for the announcement now.
    I can't wait to see everyone's final pictures.

Have you had a chance to check out some of the challenge posts and pictures?

....What about Fraser Island?

oo....Fraser...

There's a deep sea charter boat (probably lots) you can go out for the day, it goes quite a way offshore.....my husbands been on it, I'd go if the sea wasn't so deep...Take a UV light with u.....

Don't feel bad Robyn, it was only a matter of time before they busted me out....promoting Cockatoo as 'an island getaway' was never really going to fly...

I'm still thinking.......

Quote Originally Posted by two utes
    Have you had a chance to check out some of the challenge posts and pictures?
    I found some, but know I couldn't find the final pictures of all. I saw someone's wrapping up report, an Aussie's, but don't think it was yours. I would love to see the pictures. Do you have a link to the thread that have your's?
    Cheers
    Robyn

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

This is the link to my whole thread....because its been running for nearly a year there is lots of reports that l have submitted. 'The Wrapping up report' is one of mine.
    Some of my reports also have video clips, so l think you will fully see how the fish have progressed.
    'All good things come to an end' and 'Looking from the inside out' both have a video clip in them....go have a look see.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140.

Also Robyn, the final pictures have not been made public yet... we were told to wait till after the judging.
    By the looks of things we may have a result tomorrow

Roxanne....What difference does it make how deep the water is?? LOLOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Roxanne....What difference does it make how deep the water is?? LOLOLOL
    Love fishin', but deep is too scary, can't see land from there.... I prefer shallower water, soft, 86 degrees, PH 7-7.5, nitrates 20, nitrites 0, toxic waste 0, BB...........

Will check out your links

Still thinkin.....
    Rox

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Love fishin', but deep is too scary, can't see land from there.... I prefer shallower water, soft, 86 degrees, PH 7-7.5, nitrates 20, nitrites 0, toxic waste 0, BB...........

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t=61627&page=5

If you have time check this out..We were about 120 miles out of Cairns in 2000 meters of cobalt blue water....Magnificent!!!

Like l said before if you want to organize this Discus exhibition in Cairns...count me in!

Hey 2utes (is that cos ya own a couple utes?, or is it like the two dogs thing)????....Awwsuuum pics! 2000 metres. Mate, that's 2 km.....even if I say it really slow it's still hard to get the head around. Question: how do you land a marlon without gauging a coupla eyes out or stabbing yourself?? ...I have a weird word association thing between Marlon the fish & Marlon Brando....they could have called the fish something else, like I dunno, stabba fish, or eye gauger, lung piercer, kidney dagger, these might sound better in Latin? I bet the fish that deep all have compressed heads like a discus.

Have you tried the Game Fishing in WA? As long as a Giant Manta Ray (Onetonnamanta as I call 'em) doesn't breach the water and land in your boat, and the marlon don't gouge a kidney, it's a good day!

Cairns huh.....hmm..sounds good. I wonder who has discus in the Cairns area?....hmmm... Robyn , can you think of anyone???

And April is in too, so that's 5 yeah?
    Last edited by Roxanne; 11-26-2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: correction

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Hi Roxanne.
    Two Utes is actually the name of one of my two boats. I restored and sold two HQ Holden Utes, and purchased a boat with the funds.

In Cairns we use the heaviest possible tackle with 130lb fishing line to have a chance at catching 1000lb plus marlin, even though most of them average around the 500lb mark. Some people have been hurt while marlin fishing, impaled or even pulled overboard, one lady had a breast impaled by a marlin. Do a search on Utube, and you will see it.

It is exciting watching a large marlin jumping around at the back of the boat. Since we tag and release 99% of the marlin we catch, we do not actually make contact with them. I love nothing better than releasing a marlin in good condition.

I hope to do some Game Fishing in Western Australia, around Exmouth....One day.
    I'm actually off again next week to Rockhamton in QLD, but this time to catch some big Barumandi.

I'm sure there is some one in Cairns with Discus....Darren may even know them, but then again we may as well meet in Townsville and check out Darren's collection.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast