ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: First Annual Discus Hobbyist Challenge...the winner is...

Exclamation First Annual Discus Hobbyist Challenge...the winner is...

Hi all,

I have an idea for a fun little contest..

"The First Annual Discus Hobbyist Challenge"

Heres what I am thinking... I have an abundance of F2 alenquer fry that are about 6 weeks old now... Some may even carry albino genes.... I was thinking of holding a contest....

I would give away random groups of 6 fry to 5 hobbyists for free.. They would have to pay the shipping... Each hobbyist would then compete to see who could raise the biggest and best discus from the batch. in X amount of time..... That time is 6months-8 months (exact time to be determined). Contestants would have to do biweekly or monthly updates (to be decided) and share all the info on their foods and water changes etc..

We would set up a section of the forum for this and each competing hobbyist would have a section.

We are thinking the winner could have a prize like an award or I could make a special t-shirt for the occasion. Of course the real award is the recognition by the forum, and you get to keep the fish!

I can only ship to USA but if it goes over maybe we could have similar contests in other countries..

So heres the way The contest is looking so far... subject to change...

If you are in the USA and want to participate you must do the following...

1) Submit a pm to me here on the forum....in which you describe why you want these fish, How are you going to do this? Feeding, tank size, water params, qt....
    How will these fit in with current stock? What plans for the future with them, if any, breeding/pet etc..
    What do you hope to get out of this, what do you expect to learn/improve on type thing. We will pick the hobbyists from the pool of submissions.

2) You must be able to give bi-weekly photo updates, complete with a log entry as to how the fish are doing, any issues, what you have been feeding etc.

3) You must accept all fees associated with shipping these fish...The fish are free..the shipping is on you.

4) The fish raised in this contest will be your property from the moment you receive them, how they turn out is in your hands.. These fish are still young and will be randomly chosen ... don't expect a perfect group of 6 at the end of the contest. I have been really pleased with the genetics of these fish so far...they are some great stock... but Be realistic in your expectations...and lastly don't blame me for how they turn out!

5) Deadline for submissions is Dec 3, 2007

The winner will be picked after 6 months-8 months(to be determined).. and will recieve acknowledgement with some custom Simplydiscus merchandise/and or trophy (our choice)..We will have the fish judged by the university staff, and there will be a People's choice award that will be based on the forums vote.

We will select the contestants based on the submissions to me by PM...Our decision will be final. Experience level is not necessarily a factor in being chosen.

So... is there any interest in this? If there is , feel free to post your comments here... but send me your submissions privately by PM.

You can see the parents and fry here...
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=59962
    I will post some updated pics of the fry here shortly..Please realize...these are the wild type...not the albinos I am giving to this contest.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: First Annual Discus Hobbyist Challenge...

This is so awesome of you, Al! Great idea, I'm diggin' it.

okay everyone....

Here the pics of the actual fry.. These went free swimming on 10/10/2007 and they currently are eating me out of house and home.. They are being fed 5-6 times a day. They eat beefheart mix( which is what they are attacking in these pics I just snapped..), seafood mix, Frzn blood worms, frzn brine, NLs spectrum and ocean nutrition pellets...

-al
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member Tropical Haven's Avatar

That is a really great idea AL, this is very nice of you to do this now send me my fish!!!
    Scott

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Al,
    what a fantastic idea.Mate i have a group of cobalt juvies 6 week's old if any one from oz want's to send you submissions and be included in this i will offer the same deal as you.

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

thatd be great of you darren..theres lots of aussies who have signed on lately.
    great contest and fun.

Hey Darren,
    Thanks Mate! Your always one to step in and try to help out with something around here...

If you would be able to do that with the fish..I'd definetly make an Aussie contest just like the USA one...prizes and all....The fish will be judges separate from these alenquers.. we'll call it The Aussie Division and USA Division....... maybe have the Peoples choice award for both Divisions combined since these fish are pretty comparable in age.. WE can talk about that...Lets see if any Aussies are interested...

If you are from Australia and want to participate......Please send a Private message to both Darren and I with your location and the details requested above.... If we get a couple of you, we'll set it all up..

As for the USA... Get those entry applications in... we already have a couple of eager members that have sent theirs in.

Thanks,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar

Great way to kick off the holidays Al and Darren! This is both very generous of you and will be educational. Have fun guys!

Kenny
    Tel: (650) 290-1283
    Email: kennysdiscus@gmail.com
    To receive future monthly shipment notifications click here: http://eepurl.com/bBqhK5

Registered Member

Wow, what a fantastic idea. great fun and the potential for a real learning comparison experience.

Almost makes me want to move to the US
    Regards
    B-O-F

Quote Originally Posted by B-O-F View Post
    Wow, what a fantastic idea. great fun and the potential for a real learning comparison experience.

Almost makes me want to move to the US

Come on over, there's room for ya here!

Wow AL. That is one generous gesture. That would be awesome. Too bad i just won the auction. I would have loved to have gotten these babies Good luck to all. Great idea al!!!
    Eileen

I'll volunteer to be the controll group

Sent you a pm Jason.

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I'm to busy to participate Brew but that is an awesome idea on so many levels. Great idea for beginners and advanced discus keepers. Rich

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

I agree ~

But I have no energy, time or space

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast