AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: flubenol

Default flubenol

hi everyone!

i need some help!
    i have just started to keep discus, i have noticed that some of them have white poo, i have been told that there is a strong chance that they have worms?? i was told to use flubenol! every time i try to get some info on this product it come up as a pig wormer????? is this the same product? if so can someone advise please,

PS is flubenol the same as flubenol 15?

thanks
    Chris

Default Re: flubenol

Sorry ..cant answer your question ....but i will say that a lot of us here use Metro or prazipro depending on the type of worm's . maybe one of the experts here will chime in soon with an answer to your above question . good luck with your new fish .

Ken

Registered Member

Flubenol is a brand and the med is labeled as flubendazole 5% or flubenol 5%. It is indeed a dewormer for animals. Over here it is frequent used in cat and dog dewormers and the one of Bayer contains only flubendazole as medication and I used it in the past to get ride of Hydra's. Flubendazole is quit mild compared to other dewormers but it doesn't kill all species of worms. For example it is ineffective to tap worms. It also kills snails and shrimp but only in high concentrations and it is effective to gill flukes and Hydra's

The product known as flubenol 15 is no longer available in the UK. Flubendazole is indeed a pig wormer and is also an effective wormer for discus when used at the right theraputic dosage. If the fish are eating and you suspect worms then fenbendazole in food is a much better option imo, use it only in food. It is available as panacur puppy worming granules.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

I agree with Paul's advice. If Hikari PraziPro is available in the UK then add it to food along with the flubendazole and the water as directed. I soak Tetra Color granules in Prazi +Flubendazole+a little water. You should use whatever is your Discus' favorite pellet type food.
    I make up enough to feed the fish for a week and keep the unused portion of medicated food refrigerated.
    I do not have much trust in pre-medicated commercial foods. Most meds decay rapidly if they are not used fresh.
    In the USA, we can buy GelTek Ultracure PX which is a combination of metroniadazole, flubendazole and praziquantel. It is now my preferred product and I use it as I have described above. These meds or those you can legally get, have good safety profiles but it is not possible to completely cure fish that are infected by any worms. The same is true of these drugs when they are used on the animals they were originally designed to treat. We can control the parasites so they never overwhelm the fish. Therefore, you should treat the fish with the medicated foods every 4 to 6 months. I usually feed my Discus the freshly medicated food once a day for 10 days every 6 months.
    Larry Waybright