AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

View Poll Results: What is the preferred method of removing chlorine from tap water?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strong aeration in aging barrel

1 5.00%
  • Dechlorination Chemicals

19 95.00%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: methods of removing chlorine from tap water

Default Re: methods of removing chlorine from tap water

I used to use carbon torpedoes, 2 of them in fact to pretreat my water before it hit the RO. I had a softener after the carbon as well. One torp. sprung a leak and the I stopped using them. Too heavy to move around and they took up space. I use prime now and that seems to work well for me. My electric bill was double last month, arggg. I am so trying to cut back on anything electric. Graham,, few photos of Peters tangerines I though you might like. Albino tang cross. Ed ok.. .cant get the photo cropped.. will send l8ter. this is the male with fry. I figure over 120 fry atm and double that size now. ed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MostlyDiscus; 12-18-2008 at 10:57 AM. Reason: wrong pic

Thanks Pat,

That's the attachment I have on my refilling line, it acts as a diffuser & softens the flow of return water into the tank. Never seen it for sale separately here, only as part of the whole Lee's version of a python, At that price I'd buy another, but to buy the whole kit here is around AUD$50-70, depending on what length hose you get. As each tank has it's only gravel vac, it would get a little expensive. You guys in the USA can get most "fishy" things heaps cheaper than us.

EDIT: Nice albino you have there MostlyDiscus
    Last edited by TankWatcher; 12-18-2008 at 03:26 PM.
    Cheers
    Robyn

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne View Post
    Hey Robyn, someone elses discus were half dead and head standing because they left something on and it sucked all the oxygen or something out of the water...u gonna make me find the thread aren't you..

Hi Graham

Didn't mean to imply that it was as simple as that but if a "chloramine bond" is chlorine 'attached' to ammonia, what is a chloramine?(I'm not being cheeky..)

As you say, in a seperate holding tank, why? because you will kill the biofilter if you added it to a tank? Right? Which is why I don't understand why diskees can say to run the water thru a bio filter without treating it first, and how can you get rid of chloramine with aeration in a hurry? If it takes weeks to get rid of it and you do x many water changes/week, imagine the water storage facillity you would need to build?

Are you drunk?

There isn't any ammonia in my TANK, I have ammonia in my TAP WATER, it is also CHLORINATED...which is why I cannot put it through a bio filter.....and why AERATION does not get rid of the ammonia after 10 days....somebody tell me am I speaking another language?

No really? I'm blonde but I am not stupid!

You act surprised that there is ammonia in my tap water, then say to run it thru a bio filter to get rid of the ammonia? If that's your advice to someone with chloramine/chlorine in their supply water, I'm glad I'm not listening!
    diskesee arent you trying to eliminate nitrites also. tell me where all that amonia goes after it runs through your bio filterNITRITE so why do water changes at all?

Thx TW. I will put more photos on the gallery soon. Ed

Registered Member

Roxanne IS MIXING CHLORINE AND CHLORAMINES when she answers me . If you have chlorine in your water you aerate . If you , for one or another reason have ammonia in your tap water you run it through a good size biological filter . Biological filtration will take out the ammonia ( simply said ! ) . Chloramines are different from chlorine . Chloramines are combined at the water department and injected in the water supply ( a combination of chlorine and ammonia ) . You have known about this without a doubt . Chlorine and ammonia do not form into chloramines in your tank . Even if you have a little ammonia in your tank , where does the chlorine come from ? You should have aerated the chlorine out before putting the water into your tank . So what gives ? Diskees

Registered Member

now you are left with nitrites or nitrates which defeats the purpose of the water change in the first place. You are basically cycling your holding tank so by the time your done with it it also needs to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by TankWatcher View Post
    Thanks Pat,

That's the attachment I have on my refilling line, it acts as a diffuser & softens the flow of return water into the tank. Never seen it for sale separately here, only as part of the whole Lee's version of a python, At that price I'd buy another, but to buy the whole kit here is around AUD$50-70, depending on what length hose you get. As each tank has it's only gravel vac, it would get a little expensive. You guys in the USA can get most "fishy" things heaps cheaper than us.

EDIT: Nice albino you have there MostlyDiscus
    Cool. It sounds like your methods are well thought out. It shows that you must really care for your fish.

P
    + + =

Registered Member

Roxanne . You guys just do what you think is good to raise discus . I am out of here . Diskees

Registered Member

WOW. What a thread. Here I was banging on Diskees in another thread when after having read what he has actually written, I find myself agreeing with most of what he said. (AND of course Graham is also right. But no one seems to be picking a fight with him).

Very simply stated, what Diskees says (that which I agree with):
    - Chlorine and Chloramine are two distinctly different chemicals.
    - Chlorine is easy to get rid of
    - Chloramine is very hard to break down.

Where I disagree with Diskees is how he discounts the need to chemically break down chloramine. What he proposed in filtration is impractical for most aquarist. In my opinion (and it seems that of most seasoned aquarists) is to just add a dechlorinator since it will take care of both chlorine and chloramine. For whatever reason, he doesn't do it and worse, he recommends against it. I feel this is downright irresponsible because there are parts of the world where chloramine concentrations will kill fish.

Roxanne, if you can somehow get comfortable with the idea that chloramine is NOT chlorine plus ammonia, Diskees position will be more clear.

I hope I helped somewhat. God forbid that I fanned a flame war.

I'm sure no one is picking a fight with anyone..at least I hope not ..Graham didn't cause confusion so why would anyone "pick a fight with him" anyway...If you noticed, I'm not the only 1 Diskees (albeit with the best of intentions) 'confused'...and as you stated, his advice regarding treatment is way dangerous, so, regardless of whether or not I understand what a chloramine actually is, has nothing to do with his mistatements....
    Last edited by Roxanne; 01-05-2009 at 10:52 AM.
    Everything goes back to the sea....Dylan

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456