ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

View Poll Results: What is the preferred method of removing chlorine from tap water?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strong aeration in aging barrel

1 5.00%
  • Dechlorination Chemicals

19 95.00%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: methods of removing chlorine from tap water

Question methods of removing chlorine from tap water

Hello Everybody,
    How many people out there use strong aeration in their aging barrel to remove chlorine from their tap water? If so how long do you aerate? Id rather do that than have to add chemicals to the water.
    Thanks,

P

Registered Member

Default Re: methods of removing chlorine from tap water

I use a carbon canister filter to remove chlorine.

The start up cost is the worst part. after that carbon filters are cheep. its the pre filters from an RO unit.

I use Prime.
    46 Gal Planted Bow
    1 Red Pigeon 1 Blue Pigeon 2 Turq Brilliant

Registered Member

I use Prime AND a carbon filtration unit(Kold-Steril by poly bio marine) as Dishpanhands said it is a bit $$$ initially, but fairly cheap to maintain. Call me paranoid, but I like to use both, tho can get away with either one if need be...Bill

i dont think its as easy of a question to answer as presented ..... some people/townships /city have chlorine and some have Cloramine , and other heavy metals & some have well water so you almost need to know what your trying to remove , Chlorine can be removed by aging and strong aeration where as the Cloramine's take much longer and harder to remove from your water , this is why i use "Prime " and dont have to worrie at all .

experts Correct me if i a wrong or if i have this backwords .

Ken

Registered Member

the best method IMO is to contact Rayne, Ionics or one of the water conditioning companies (if you have several tanks or even one large tank) and rent a GAC canister from them, they will change them out according to your needs and the cost is a heck of a lot cheaper then pet shop chems.

chlorimines will adsorb (like a magnetic attachment to the GAC, it does not absorb) connect it to a hot and cold hose bibs or faucet preset the temp and presto a lot of toxins are removed without adding more junk to your water. run from the GAC tank to your RO or whatever you need. pipe it to your kitchen.

I use prime but how much do people use on a 50g of changed water. i use one cap but still had some problems not to long ago so i do 2 caps.

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

I use a commercial type pressurized carbon filter to remove contaminants from the tapwater and then aerate for 24 hours in large vats. I quite often have nitrites in my tapwater and i remove these with clorine. The water is tested after the fill, most days it contains between .25 and .5ppm nitrite so a teeny bit of clorine will remove it instantly, and any traces of clorine will be gone after the 24 hour aeration period.
    If your water contains clorine only, then instead of using prime or other expensive mixes you could try sodium thiosulphate crystals. They are sold comparitively cheaply at pool shops, for people who overdose the pool with clorine....they are easily dissolved into water and you can make your own highly effective clorine remover.

Rod

I don't age and use straight from tap with Prime.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

Registered Member Peachtree Discus's Avatar

sodium thiosulphate crystals
    Wes (FishFlakes)
    "Lifes a game but its not fair, I break the rules so I dont care,
    ...so I keep doin my own thing - walkin tall against the rain"

Registered Member

Chlorine can be illiminated by airation , chloramine however is a combination of Chlorine and ammonia . To get rid of the chlorine , airate ( step one ) , and to get rid of the ammonia use a good working biological filter . After conditioning the water this way you are OK as far as discus go . Diskees

I run a mag drive 1800 on two mated 210 gallon drums. The water is combo of RO and tap. The RO speaks for itself(GE merlin 700 galper day). The tap is run through 2 carbon and 1 5 micro sed 20 inch housings. I use prime and other ingredients added to central as water is changed. Ed

Registered Member

I use carbo filter and use prime to nutrafie the amonia , They some time use cloramine in the city water and some times they dont .I use the prime to make sure

Registered Member

As I mentioned before , discus do not like changes in water condition . If it can be done , do it the natural way . Everytime you use chemicals ( and prime is a chemical ) you will upset the discus in your tank . You may get rid of the ammonia , chlorine and chloramines but your discus will be pretty unhappy . Just my idea Diskees

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Diskees View Post
    As I mentioned before , discus do not like changes in water condition . If it can be done , do it the natural way . Everytime you use chemicals ( and prime is a chemical ) you will upset the discus in your tank . You may get rid of the ammonia , chlorine and chloramines but your discus will be pretty unhappy . Just my idea Diskees
    And how do you purpose to get rid of ammonia in make up water....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast