AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Berlin blue turq's ...ever hear of them ?

Registered Member

Default Re: Berlin blue turq's ...ever hear of them ?

it is interesting to read comments regarding coloration today. it's been 5 years since i've had any discus.

when Jack Wattley originally developed the turquoise it was the same color as what your photos show, except they had a metallic sheen that faded out with subsequent spawnings.

the germans developed the cobalts. they were a blue fish and originally a smaller fish then Jack Wattley's turquoise. because so many people cross bred every fish out there the names with the colors have become convoluted. there was a time when we tried to standardise types of discus and colors but it became impossible.

i will say this there is too much black in the anal and dorsal fins

obviously well taken care of

awsome pics guys ....and thanks everyone for your comments and input , guess i will be calling them brillants as that seems to be the census around here , wouldnt matter to me if they were callled SallySUE's as they are still great looking discus to me .

Anthony..thanks for all your Help with providing pic's of adults.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    Anthony that is a sweet looking pair!...I love that natural red look. Both have that "wild" look that I like. Those type of fish would look exceptional in a planted tank once adults. If I were in a better position financial wise...I would be taking some home with me!...Good luck with them...Bill
    Bill, if you have the room, Chris is not asking much for these little guys and as you can see he has plenty of them.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Nice looking pair of Cobalts!...at least thats what they would be in my tanks!..and I would not mind that one bit!
    Sorry though, never heard of "berlin" blues... I really don't put much faith in all the names people give fish...I like to keep it simple...
    ...a rose is still a rose by any other name
    -al
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed13 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing, COBALTS! Nice ones too! But, someone more experience than I, might see something different in them that would grant a new name/strain.
    Al and Ed,

How bout Cobalts on steroids?? lol

Quote Originally Posted by rfeiller View Post
    it is interesting to read comments regarding coloration today. it's been 5 years since i've had any discus.
    when Jack Wattley originally developed the turquoise it was the same color as what your photos show, except they had a metallic sheen that faded out with subsequent spawnings.
    the germans developed the cobalts. they were a blue fish and originally a smaller fish then Jack Wattley's turquoise. because so many people cross bred every fish out there the names with the colors have become convoluted. there was a time when we tried to standardise types of discus and colors but it became impossible.
    i will say this there is too much black in the anal and dorsal fins
    obviously well taken care of
    Personally, I love the black on the fins. I'm not one for a plain colored fish no matter how beautiful they are.

Ken,

No problem, anytime!

Registered Member

Porkchop,
    the fish are beautiful. what one breeder works years to eliminate; color, bars, stripes. another breeder works just as hard to do the opposite. nothing wrong with it. it would be boring if they didn't, if you could ever call discus boring.

Registered Member

I have always liked the black running thru the fins myself. Especially when the fin edging is red...Bill

I have always liked the black running thru the fins myself. Especially when the fin edging is red...Bill
    Bill, me too...especially on red turqs!!! something I am trying to breed into them here!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Al...that's what some of my first Turks looked like...I miss that look!...Good look in breeding that trait back in....Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12