AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berlin blue turq's ...ever hear of them ?

Default Berlin blue turq's ...ever hear of them ?

while talking with a fellow SD member here today we were talking about the types of discus fish we each have and i told (Bill) that i had 3 Berlin blue turq's .... of course the next question to fallow was what kind or type are they ?

does anyone know what or where the name "Berlin" came from or what it means to have a Berlin blue turq discus and how they differ from a red or blue turq ??

i am thinking the berlin means its a german strain/name . but other than that i have no idea what i am talking about when describing them to some one else , please help and if anyone has a pic of a adult Berlin they can post it would be great , here is a pic of my 2" berlin blue . (top two fish) in the 1st pic . second pic is older but a better look , ( no more black gravel or rocks ) first and last couple of pics are of current set up

thanks in advance .....Ken

ps: feel free to comment on my fish , set up , and how the fish look over all
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kenhappen2u; 12-03-2008 at 10:33 PM.

Registered Member

Default Re: Berlin blue turq's ...ever hear of them ?

Hi Ken...Fish look good. The two in question look to be either a Brilliant Turk or a Cobalt. Like I said, I have never heard of a Berlin Blue...am sure is just another marketing name. I have seen a "RED ROAD MAP"...and "FIRE MARLBORO" discus on the other forums, that are typical discus...with a new name...and probally a new price. Whatever they are they should turn out nice with your feeding and water change habits...Bill

Registered Member

kenhappen2u, i use to ship out young discus to many of the discus breeders that sold through TFH and other mags. i would ship out at least 100 at a time to these folks. then they would put whatever names they felt like on the fish. most of the brokers claimed to have been the breeders of my fish that i sold them. these guys were quite creative with the names. this held true whether they were shippe to southern ca, arizona, texas, florida, japan and many other destinations. i often wondered how many folks thought they were buying unrelated fish and actually had my fish from different sources. i shipped out over a thousand a month.

Quote Originally Posted by kenhappen2u View Post
    ( no more black gravel or rocks )
    Why did you remove your black gravel? Afterwards, did the fish colors intensify? Im wondering this because I have black gravel and am thinking about getting rid of it.

Thanks,
    P

Quote Originally Posted by ov10pat View Post
    Why did you remove your black gravel? Afterwards, did the fish colors intensify? Im wondering this because I have black gravel and am thinking about getting rid of it.

Thanks,
    P
    YES . it was a night and day diff. when i had the black gravel and dark blue background and large dark rocks they would sometimes use the rocks to hide & darken up to match thier surroundings .... so i noticed that all my fish went dark in a matter of just a few days and so i did some checking on other threads here and found that dark substrate and backgrounds can effect thier color .
    So i removed the black gravel and went with a bare bottom and a lighter background and within a day or two they were all showing more brillant colors and most were looking even better than when i first brought them home and they settled in for a day or so . i will never go back to using substrate when growing out juvi's . and besides its so much easyer to keep clean ,..... in a show/display tank then i may think about using sand or a light or natural color substrate but only with adults when they dont eat as much and i wont be needing to feed 5 times a day or do as many WC's .

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    Hi Ken...Fish look good. The two in question look to be either a Brilliant Turk or a Cobalt. Like I said, I have never heard of a Berlin Blue...am sure is just another marketing name. I have seen a "RED ROAD MAP"...and "FIRE MARLBORO" discus on the other forums, that are typical discus...with a new name...and probally a new price. Whatever they are they should turn out nice with your feeding and water change habits...Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by rfeiller View Post
    kenhappen2u, i use to ship out young discus to many of the discus breeders that sold through TFH and other mags. i would ship out at least 100 at a time to these folks. then they would put whatever names they felt like on the fish. most of the brokers claimed to have been the breeders of my fish that i sold them. these guys were quite creative with the names. this held true whether they were shippe to southern ca, arizona, texas, florida, japan and many other destinations. i often wondered how many folks thought they were buying unrelated fish and actually had my fish from different sources. i shipped out over a thousand a month.
    To correct you guys, his Berlin Blue's have come from Chris at Windy City and Chris's breeding pair look nothing like anything I've seen on this forum. So, for your ideas of a made up name, isn't the case in this situation. The blue of the adults is nothing like your standard cobalt or BD. The pair is very nice looking and HUGE!!

I'm planning to visit Chris this weekend to buy a few more Discus for my other tank. I will ask if he will allow me to take pictures of his Berlin Blue pair. I planned on bringing a camera anyways to take pictures of the parents of the juveniles I'm buying.

Anthony

Registered Member

Hi Anthony...Please do take a pic next time at Chris's....And ask him where he aquired the fish from. Those fish look like Brilliants to me...And being in the hobby for 20+ years, I have had my share of Brilliants...and MANY other strains, and I know a Brilliant Discus when I see one. Strains take MANY years to establish...so I would think "Berlin Blue" would have surfaced a few times before this. Prime specimens in any of the strains or color categories does NOT make it a new strain..it is what it is...a PRIME specimen. I don't doubt that they are nice fish you saw there, and nothing like YOU have seen. Hang in the hobby awhile and you will be AMAZED at what you will see. I have a tank of San Merahs that are redder than usual...but they are STILL San Merahs...Just VERY good ones...Tho maybe I could call them "Fire Red" San Merahs, and sell them for a few bucks more to unsuspecting hobbyist. I have seen and went thru the name games in the past... I know better know...Bill

Berlin Blue Turqs

Thanks to Chris for letting me stop by his house last night and taking pics of these guys and a few others. I took pics of a the pair of Red Alenquer's that spawned the juveniles I'm getting on Sunday so that I can compare them when they are older.

Anthony

Registered Member

Thanks for the pics Anthony. Whatever they may or may not be called...they are VERY nice Discus!...Would like to see some pics of the Alenquers...as I do like the "wild" looking types of fish a lot...Bill

Anthony . thanks so much for taking the pics of the Blue turquoise pair for me while at chris house .....im sure it was very had for you to walk out empty handed , i know it would be for me ! anyways thanks again and let us know what and when you get your new anelquer Juvi's .

Ken

Here are are a couple photos of fish from Discus Hans, Brilliant Turquoise Discus. They are closer to what I would call a standard Brilliant Turquoise in a hobby that has no standards and inventive names for the same types of fish.

Larry Waybright

Ken, sorry for the hijack but here you go Bill.

I'm getting 7 of them on Sunday. Gonna start them out in my 25 gallon and then move them up to a 55 a little later. I'm hoping to get a pair that look more red like the female although the blue does stand out more on the male.

Chris also has some LSS's and Penang Eruption juveniles about the same size or a little bit bigger.

Registered Member

Anthony that is a sweet looking pair!...I love that natural red look. Both have that "wild" look that I like. Those type of fish would look exceptional in a planted tank once adults. If I were in a better position financial wise...I would be taking some home with me!...Good luck with them...Bill

Nice looking pair of Cobalts!...at least thats what they would be in my tanks!..and I would not mind that one bit!

Sorry though, never heard of "berlin" blues... I really don't put much faith in all the names people give fish...I like to keep it simple...

...a rose is still a rose by any other name

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Nice looking pair of Cobalts!...at least thats what they would be in my tanks!..and I would not mind that one bit!...

...a rose is still a rose by any other name

-al
    I thought the exact same thing, COBALTS! Nice ones too! But, someone more experience than I, might see something different in them that would grant a new name/strain.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast