AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Anyone have experience w/canister filter + UV?

Default Anyone have experience w/canister filter + UV?

Hello,

Saw a new product on the Dr. Foster & Smith website - a canister filter with a small 5w UV filter included (link to product - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=19310 ). Has anyone used this product and can comment on it?

The UV is a little small, but a 5w should be OK for a 55g tank IMO...I wonder if the UV in the canister would affect the biofilter any?

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Thanks,
    -jim

Default Re: Anyone have experience w/canister filter + UV?

I'm not sure about that brand or if the uv is an issue but ehim all the way. I'm going to ehim as soon as i get the money. All i see on fish tanks if its not a sump or a set up is ehim.

I've seen a similar filter on eBay that I've consider purchasing. It is nearly identical to the Marineland Multistage canister filter I have now without the UV. When I set up my 55 gal planted tank I had a green water problem and added a 5 watt UV to clear it up, worked perfectly but after a few weeks I disconnected the UV and haven't used it since. I love my Marineland canister and this one looks to work the same, the on/off switch for the UV is a great feature, I know some people here use the UV only for a few hours after water changes. My only regret is I wish I had purchased the larger filter, I bought the one rated for a 55 gallon and it does a great job but a little more would be better.
    I know the Eheim filters are great and a lot of people here love them but for the price difference I'm haappy with what I have.
    Hope that helps and hopefully someone who actually has this filter will chime in.
    Good Luck,
    vanessa
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

i have ehiem canister and the uv sterilizer. for a long while i thought the uv is a must. but i just took it out. didn't make a difference. only thing it does is extra filtration ad more water disturbance and discus fish doesnt like that.

Registered Member

UVs work to destroy bacteria ONLY when the water is exposed to the UV for a long enough dwell time. The job of a canister is to move a lot of water to clean the tank. A UVs job is the opposite--to move water slowly through and kill the buggaboos. It's useless to run water quickly through a UV and expect it to do the job.