ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power's out AGAIN!!

Real Name
    Brian

Default Power's out AGAIN!!

We had a horrendous wind storm clocking up to 85mph the other night. At one point, I almost took a dive to the floor thinking I was being hit by a tornado. Just then, I heard a crash and the power went out. After almost 2 days, they finally arrived and the house is warming back up.

The tanks were in bad shape, getting down to around 63 degrees last night. I was up several time pumping in hot water. I hate using water from the hot water tank, but there were no other options. I lost 2 BN's and 2 discus went to head standing, but other than that we may see a recovery, although most are still in pretty bad shape.

I hate this time of year and this happens too often. Last time I was without power for 18 days with temps in the teens. I need to invest in a generator!!!

Default Re: Power's out AGAIN!!

Aw Jeep, that blows. I'm sorry to hear. Hope the everything gets better now that the power is back on. A generator does seem like the ticket.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Yes I learned that the hard way too when I got caught with the proverbial pants down.., a deisel gen is a good investment . You can get a UPS too....I got both cos I'm a "what if" kinda gal .I tried blowing into the sponge filters to see how long I could keep it up in an emergency, I play sax but I nearly passed out doing that after a couple of minutes.!

Rox
    Everything goes back to the sea....Dylan

I tried blowing into the sponge filters to see how long I could keep it up in an emergency, I play sax but I nearly passed out doing that after a couple of minutes.
    LOL, you kill me Rox

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Sorry bout that Eddie Would never intentionally kill you mate If I was like "uncle Festus" I could keep the lights goin at the same time!!

We have been seeing on the news you guys in the states are copping a hiding, as we say here, with the weather....wish I could bottle some Aussie sunshine and send it over to ya..

Rox

We have been seeing on the news you guys in the states are copping a hiding, as we say here, with the weather....wish I could bottle some Aussie sunshine and send it over to ya..
    Only thing is that I'm not in the states, more like OKAY-NAWA.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Yeah I know you are konichiwa dude, I was referring to your US conterparts cos jeep mentioned being blown away with the 85 milers...I don't think you have wind in Oki do ya?

Registered Member

Oh No!! I just dreat that happening here! We had a few outages last year before I had the Discus. Once it was out for 2 days!! I do not have a generator yet but I did pick up a battery charged power supply unit that will allow me to plug appliances into it for up to 8 hours. Hopefully we don't get an outage lasting longer than that again. Sorry to hear about your fish, I do hope the rest will be okay. What a scary thing to have happen.

Anna

Oh No!! I just dreat that happening here! We had a few outages last year before I had the Discus. Once it was out for 2 days!! I do not have a generator yet but I did pick up a battery charged power supply unit that will allow me to plug appliances into it for up to 8 hours. Hopefully we don't get an outage lasting longer than that again. Sorry to hear about your fish, I do hope the rest will be okay. What a scary thing to have happen.
    The back up is the ticket. I remember surviving my days in the Azores Portugal where the power would go out every other day it seemed from storms. I used a few D cell battery air pumps to power the sponge filters in my tanks. Total life savers but the temp in the tanks wasn't really an issue. In a cold area of the states that would be tough. Hopefully it's all working out Jeep

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks everyone. They seem to be rebounding, although I may end up culling the head standers. Past experience tells me this is incurable

The challenge fish are all perfectly fine and never showed any signs of distress and still wanted food even when the temps were low.

Bummer Brian! You guys really have been getting hit with some hard weather the last 2 years!

The challenge fish are all perfectly fine and never showed any signs of distress and still wanted food even when the temps were low.
    Glad to here that! way to go kids!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

Very hardy fish

Sorry bout the weather down there Brian!! We have been tryin to keep it up here!

I bet if you invest in the generator, your power wont ever go out again...
    Mark

[QUOTE=jeep;489859]...I may end up culling the head standers. Past experience tells me this is incurable
    QUOTE]

Hi Jeep

Is there a chance they may recover in time? Are they suffering do you think?

Rox

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I hate this time of year and this happens too often. Last time I was without power for 18 days with temps in the teens. I need to invest in a generator!!!
    Brian, I know we haven't met, but I recently read about your involvement with Jack's fishroom and was really impressed with your efforts on behalf of a friend!

So I wanted to extend an offer: since I live in KC (north of river, although not quite as far north as Jack), and have a generator, I would like to loan you my generator in the event that you get hit with a power outage that spares me.

The caveats:
    1. If my power goes out too, I get dibbies.
    2. YOU have to start the d@mn thing. heheh

I would have sent this in a PM, but my post count is too low to PM/email you. Even AFTER this posting. :-)

My name is Sean, and number is 816-591-9997. Would welcome a call anytime. Best of luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast