AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Northeast Discus meeting for January 24th !!

Default Re: Northeast Discus meeting for January 24th !!

Quote Originally Posted by blkrob View Post
    I know this is asking alot, but just wishful thinking.
    I think that is an interesting idea! I'm hosting one of these meetings this year (I'm guessing Fall), and when that happens, I'll see if I can at least hook up a web cam so we can at least wave "Hi" to every one. Good thinkin'!

Wish we had one at Mike's now. I could see what I'm missing...
    Steve -
    Discus novice. Planted tank pilgrim.

Oh that would be fantastic! A webcast would be perfect for me! Can the Northeast Discus expand to Japan!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Smile Re: Northeast Discus meeting for January 24th !!

Thanks to Al, Jeff, Ashay, patrick, Martha, Mark, Fred and the good folks at the Huttingston house where we all met for the meeting...It was an awsome time. Al's presentation about diseases and meds was so informative, and it's always so nice to be able to talk discus for a whole afternoon and enjoy everyone's company. Sorry I had to scoot out at 8:00pm but I think the party is still going on at Dave's place!

The web cam might be a real option for next time, but it's definitely great to meet up.

Martha!...get to work with those two special fish...you know which ones)))))!

Thanks everyone! mike

Hi all,
    Yes it was a great meeting...we all had a great time at the restaurant and at Davids...I have to say David was an awesome host and really has acquired some really great fish in his collection.. Thanks so much for the good times today.

The meeting although officially over is still going on.. We've all just checked in to our hotels...Mark, Martha and I had planned on staying up here...Ashay and Patrick had to make some unexpected plans to stay up as well... So the 5 of us got to go out for a late night dinner as well..

Its been great today meeting up with everyone...Fred....remember not so many years this next time and Mike...Hope to see you again at the spring get togther.

I didn't take any pics ...cameras on the fritz, but there were some pics taken...I think Ashay can post them latter..

Anyway...Night all...I'm beat and hitting the sack.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Thumbs up Re: Northeast Discus meeting for January 24th !!

I'm sure a great time was had by all @ the meeting yesterday!
    Family obligations prevented me from attending-sometimes it's a tough balancing act between family & discus obsession
    I definately missed seeing you guys again-but will be @ next meeting.
    Any idea who's hosting next time?
    Hope everyone has safe trip home & is doing well.
    Peace,
    Rob
    If you get confused... Listen to the music play-
    Jerry Garcia

Thank you David for hosting the meeting . You have a great collection of Discus.
    Thank you Al for the presentation and the Beef Heart and it was a pleasure meeting you all. I had a great time.I am all ready looking forward to the next one.
    Al i can,t beleave i stayed away so long. i will work on that.

Martha I agree with Mike on those special fish keep us informed.

Thanks again to all
    FRED.OLIVER

Hi everyone !! Thanks so much for coming here to the Greater New Bedford area.. What a great time I had. Al gave such an informative great talk on discus and diseases. Al, please let me know if you give that talk again because there is so much info.. I wish to KNOW and learn all. I am also happy to have been able to show off all my discus but once again thankful to Al and Kenny for helping me have such a nice and diverse collection, and Al sharing his beauties with me. Also, ironic but good timing for my cobalt blue male and blue turq female to have eggs. MAYBE they will get it right this time and have babies

I have to thank my girl friend Celeste also for making our discus cake, brownies and two kinds of party mix. She is the behind the scenes person that works so hard for me.. It was also great to have MikeL, Fred22 and mmorris attend our meeting.. I hope they become regular attendies.

There are more great plans for future meetings so I hope more people can attend.. Thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by dpt8 View Post
    I have to thank my girl friend Celeste also for making our discus cake, brownies and two kinds of party mix. She is the behind the scenes person that works so hard for me.. It was also great to have MikeL, Fred22 and mmorris attend our meeting.. I hope they become regular attendies.

There are more great plans for future meetings so I hope more people can attend.. Thanks to all.
    Celeste does mean heavens

Glad to hear it was a success, now, where are our pics?!
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

It was a wonderful time! Great company, great information, great food. The discus cake was to die for!!! I can say the same for Dave's fish!

Al drives like my grandmother.

Really, Ashay, bring a change of clothes next time!

Al "drives like Martha's grandmother"????? I would never have guessed that!!! Hahahah!!!

LOL Not really. I enjoyed meeting all of you and I look forward to the next one!

Oh Boy. what an amazing time. I have to give a complete account of the entire sequence of events to get the entire appreciation, feel, humor, luck whatever you choose to call it. But eventualy being a strong bond of friendship.

Patrick Richard and I started from his house in Hamden, CT in his huge Dodge RAM 1500 V8 pickup truck. I was all charged up for my first ride in an automobile of that kind. We started on the road talking discus, talking about our experiences, Patrick giving an account of his latest on-going fish room building project .. in short having a great time.
    We went thru Providence and I-195 East bound GPS says ETA 12:52 pm for scheduled meeting time of 1 pm - on the money.

All of a sudden lull prevailed as Patrick noticed engine temp rising and the next moment heared a "roar" from the engine. We pulled over and Patrick looked under hood to see fluid all over the engine. He said the hose bursted and we cannot proceed. We called Al and Mark and said the car broke down and we cannot proceed. We will call back when we know more.

Now Patrick calls AAA. He gets a message for wait time of 12 mins. Finally got connected to the operator. She asks us where we are. Logical question. We say I-195 East bound in MA and can see exit 10 about 100 yards from us. She refused to accept this. She says give me the exact location. Oh come on lady (Remember Rambo - 46 deg North 56.5 deg South). She then says call 911, get the location from them and call us back. Yeah right..

So now I call, I get connected in 3 secs, talk to the operator and tell her exact same thing and she says "No problem, be safe in the car and we will send a tow truck in less than 30 mins" Nice..

Now we are in the truck, smiling, jocking, chatting around until we saw a car approching us at 90 miles an hr atleast, half in the pull over lane half in the rightmost lane. We were stunned.. about 100 feet from us the car pulled in the rightmost lane and zoomed passed us.. HELLLOOOO THERE IS A TRUCK HERE....

The tow truck comes over. There are already 2 people in the truck and so can take only one more. Patrick sat in the truck and for me began the adventure of the life time. The guy towed the truck with me inside the truck. COOOLLL.. Imagine.. I am in the RAM 1500 truck on top of a tow truck.. I was calling everybody wife, friends, taking pictures.. a true adventure.

We were towed practically next door to the restaurant we were suppose to meet into Midas. This was something we did not expect to hear in our wildest imagination... "Water pump is down, there is no way this will be done till Monday" WHAAAT..

Now began calls and negotiations with wife.. man it was tough. Dave picked us up and we went to the restaurant. This was 2 pm Saturday. Al began his very informative talk and something a hobbyist should take time to understand but disease and medication is not easy. Its not purely as simple as disease A - treat with so and so etc etc.
    But for me I was rewinding and replaying "my joyride" All I knew was when I need to medicate I am gonna call Al. No more no less.

In the mean time, Patrick and I went back and forth negotiating with wife. I could tell. But Al even without asking said he can give us a ride back home tomorrow as he and Mark were staying here for the night. He also made a great suggestion that Patrick should come with us home as there was nothing he could do till the truck is fixed with no gaurantee it was going to be fixed first thing Monday.

After lunch and wrapping our session at the restaurant, around 4.30 pm we checked in the hotel and went to Dave's house. Excellent collected of fish especially the Red Turks. Camera's weren't allowed and more so posting pictures on the forum was "strictly prohibited" .. so no pictures guys.. only kidding..
    Dave and Celleste had made all the the top class arrangement at home with coffee, coctails, snacks, cake and amazing brownie's. Those were good. We called it a day at 9.30 pm (from Dave's house). It was nice meeting Jeff, Mikel and Fred. See you for the next meeting.

Al, Mark, Martha, Patrick and I went to "Texas Steak House" for dinner. The grilled items hit the spot after a great adventurous day. We checked in the hotel at around 11:45 pm. This was not it.. were watching "Outlaw Josey Wales" the old time western Clint Eastwood classic remember "I don't want to hear Wales dead, I want to see Wales dead " finally shutting off 1.30- 1:45 AM.

Time well spent, Time will not be forgotten and shall be remembered for a long time in my books.. "That was a Discus meeting"

We had a little breakfast at started at around 9:30 AM. Al dropped Mark, then we went to Patrick's house to see his fish and his in progress fish room (its too good cant wait to be up and running) to be home by 1 PM. After strick "QT procedures" I am here remembering my most recent past and enjoying every bit of it.

Thanks to Dave to have hosted this meeting, Many Thanks to Patrick for taking all of this in the right spirit and keeping he humor up, Thanks Al for the ride back home, Thanks Mark for the stomach bug at farewell (only kidding here. I wish you and your family a speedy recovery), Thanks Martha for the gr8 discus talks we had and I will always carry a backup with extra clothes now and Thank God for giving such a hobby to have made friends like these.. totally NICE.

Al's presentation:

Patrick's investigation:

Ashay's "Joyride"

Last edited by ashaysathe; 01-26-2009 at 10:33 AM.
    Ashay Sathe
    Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice.

Blog: http://vrsathe.blogspot.com/

More.. Ride of a lifetime ..

Ashay Sathe
    Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice.

Blog: http://vrsathe.blogspot.com/

Thumbs up Re: Northeast Discus meeting for January 24th !!

Ashay,
    Thanks for the detailed report on the meeting-Sounds the you enjoyed even the inconvenient parts of your day!
    Good Friends/Good Fun/Discus-Does it get any better than this?

Sorry I missed the meeting-See you in the spring!
    Peace,
    Rob
    If you get confused... Listen to the music play-
    Jerry Garcia

Registered Member Carolina discus's Avatar

All,
    Looks like a great meeting!!! Dave, the pic of the exit brought back memories as I used to take that for college at SMU..now UMASS Dartmouth!!!!!!

Plese post more pics when they come available......

Regards,

eric

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast