AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Exophthalmia

Default Exophthalmia

Exophthalmia: Also known as "pop-eye" disease, this condition is more of a syndrome than a specific disease. This condition may be unilateral (one-side) or bilateral (both eyes affected). Causes include systemic infection, poor water quality, supersaturation (gas bubble disease) and trauma. Your veterinarian can help with a diagnosis and treatment plan. Unfortunately, if the eyes are severely affected, the fish may be permanently vision-impaired or even blind. Diseases that affect the eyes of pet fish are quite common. Diseased eyes may appear cloudy, exophthalmic (popped out), hemorrhagic (bloody), microphthalmic (small), or even missing. Common causes of eye disease in pet fish include trauma, infection, gas bubble disease (the "bends"), parasites and neoplasia (cancer).
    This is a quote about pop eye. Can anyone tell me of successful treatments they have personally used.

Thanks
    Everything goes back to the sea....Dylan

Default Re: Exophthalmia

Roxanne - How quickly did Calypso's eyes progress from normal to bulging? Is this a gradual thing, or do you think it was connected to the medicine you used? If it is sudden, I would think that the gas bubble cause is the likely one, but aside from putting the fish in a decompression chamber, I don't know how to fix it. Could the medicine somehow caused an increase in nitrogen gas in the fish's tissues? Just thinking out loud, hoping it will stimulate some others to jump in with ideas.

Terry

Registered Member

I have personally never used it, but I have heard of several reports of certain indivuals who have access to controlled antibiotics using Baytril (enrofloxacin) as a successful treatment for almost any bacterial problem, including exopthalmia. As far as over the counter type meds, I havent heard of any single med working consistently.

-Ryan

Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Terrybo View Post
    Roxanne - How quickly did Calypso's eyes progress from normal to bulging? Is this a gradual thing, or do you think it was connected to the medicine you used? If it is sudden, I would think that the gas bubble cause is the likely one, but aside from putting the fish in a decompression chamber, I don't know how to fix it. Could the medicine somehow caused an increase in nitrogen gas in the fish's tissues? Just thinking out loud, hoping it will stimulate some others to jump in with ideas.

Terry
    Thanks Terry, all thoughts appreciated

Do you know how the gas bubble thingy works?

To answer your question, It must have happened fast because I am always looking at them, I noticed almost immediately something was up cos from front on she was looking like a boogly eye goldfish!! And because they are almost identical but for size I can compare them to each other and their eyes have always sat flush with their heads....it just coincided with the beginning of Sterazin treatment, so I entertained the possibility of an allergic reaction?? Also, there is the possibility that when I fed them & they weren't eating , food was poisoning the water....there is no visible damage to the eyes themselves, and the eyes of her tankmate/sister Pumpkin are fine and never swelled like this..

Another idea I have is..when doing a water change, is it possible to disturb/dislodge something "bad" back into the water column...or minute "crap" gets lodged in their gills/eye sockets casuing infection...???

Paul was able to advise me on water changes during meds, so I have made them more frequent.....

Thanks

rox

Thanks for that Eddie...I've got them on day 7 of sterazin so I can't treat for a bacterial infection at the moment...I'd like to know how she got it... ....something I did/didn't do right...

Hey Ryan, don't s'pose it can be used at the same time...the sterazin course will finish on Day 10, so if I can hit em with a anti biot if it hasn't cleared up with more regular water changes , as soon as that's finished, unless someone boo hisses that idea

Thanks guys

good luck with all Rox. I haven't had experience with thi one, so glad to see the troops are here to help you out.
    Cheers
    Robyn

Hey Rox, could have been anything ranging from a change in water quality, temperature change of any sort. In reading about medicating fish, secondary infections often arise. Just a thought

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Rox, finish the sterazin before using any other meds. Couple of big w/c's before using a new med.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

10-4

Hopefully won't need any, but like to be prepared just in case...

Thanks Paul (and all other contributors)

Paul, always wanted to ask, is your quote a reference to Pink Floyd?
    Last edited by Roxanne; 01-02-2009 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    Hey Rox, could have been anything ranging from a change in water quality, temperature change of any sort. In reading about medicating fish, secondary infections often arise. Just a thought

Eddie
    Yeah, I tend to do WC's less often when using meds cos i don't know if I am taking out the meds too soon, and it is usually when problems start- the water!..Thinking also Eddie what u said about temp & about the consistancy of the heaters I have...I have 2 thermometers in my tanks just in case, but if a heater is crappy it might let the temp go back down too far, coinciding with a waterchange, If I speculate enough & put forum answers together , I/We will find the answer, I hope...thanks for your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne View Post
    Paul, always wanted to ask, is your quote a reference to Pink Floyd?
    hehe yes it is - it is also the "state" I'd like to be in too!

As a general rule always do a w/c before redosing with meds. I believe maintaining water quality as high as possible is just about the most important thing.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    .... general rule always do a w/c before redosing with meds. I believe maintaining water quality as high as possible is just about the most important thing.
    About to do that now before Day 8 dose

(....first song I taught myself to play on guitar was 'Wish u were here')

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    hehe yes it is - it is also the "state" I'd like to be in too!

As a general rule always do a w/c before redosing with meds. I believe maintaining water quality as high as possible is just about the most important thing.

I also read that you should begin dosing the tank in small amounts as you fill it, or even before (think it was a piece from A. Soh's Book). I read that lessening the concentration of the med for any amount of time can allow the parasites to recoup and then its pretty much like starting the whole process over.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

In his book "Success with Discus" Jim Quarles recommends using Erythromycin Phosphate Powder for pop eye (and other bacterial and fungal problems) at a dosage of 1/4 teaspoon to 20 gallons of water. (I've never used it). I noticed that this medication was available at a couple online aquarium supply shops - no prescription needed.

Terry

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast