ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Exophthalmia

Default Re: Exophthalmia

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    I also read that ..that lessening the concentration of the med for any amount of time can allow the parasites to recoup and then its pretty much like starting the whole process over.

Eddie
    Doh! Might explain why repeat treatments are needed. This has been something I have been trying to get my head around for months, WC's and correct dosing, because I always held off WC's while medicating and it has always caused problems. Then I deduced, that if there is a minimum period in which the fish needs to be exposed to the med, then WC's won't matter as long as the med is in the tank for x amount of time. Paul says because they dissipate also, WC's can be timed just before the next dose. So, have been following that advice and it means I get to keep the WC's up!

Rox

Thanks Terry, appreciate you taking the time to source that I will be reading up on anti bac meds just in case they are warranted so I am not scrambling at the last minute for advice...I haven't checked that 1 yet but by the sounds of it it is a antibiotic?..I have heard it's name in a human med application in my memory bank somewhere...but then, there is human Sterazin too!!
    Last edited by Roxanne; 01-03-2009 at 03:44 AM.
    Everything goes back to the sea....Dylan

Look at this sticky link...now I'm freakin' out. Calypso's are't that big, and not worse...not being able to treat it is frightening...

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...y_popeye.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    I also read that you should begin dosing the tank in small amounts as you fill it, or even before (think it was a piece from A. Soh's Book). I read that lessening the concentration of the med for any amount of time can allow the parasites to recoup and then its pretty much like starting the whole process over.

Eddie
    Eddie, I think that is correct when using anti-biotics. I would definitley avoid doing this when using F&MG, PP and meds like Sterazin that contain stuff that "nuke" bugs - the concentration may be enough to cause gill and/or eye damage.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne View Post
    Look at this sticky link...now I'm freakin' out. Calypso's are't that big, and not worse...not being able to treat it is frightening...

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...y_popeye.shtml
    Rox, finish the treatment with Sterazin, stop freaking out, and after a couple days of clean water see how it's eyes are doing. If needed then treat with a broad spectrum anti biotic (whatever is available in Aus) may need to sweet talk a vet.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    Eddie, I think that is correct when using anti-biotics. I would definitley avoid doing this when using F&MG, PP and meds like Sterazin that contain stuff that "nuke" bugs - the concentration may be enough to cause gill and/or eye damage.

Thanks or the info Paul, good to know. I do use F&MG by adding small doses at a time to match the amount of water that has been added with a WC. For example, 100% WC. I will start filling the tank, when 10gallons have been filled, I will add the amount of F&MG. I do this for every 10 gallons added. This keeps a constant concentration of the F&MG throughout the whole WC.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    ......may need to sweet talk a vet.
    hmmm...sweet talk a vet...sweet talk......a vet.....what do vets like?I think I'll have more luck with the RSPCA which is where I found my last rottweiler, cos she was a rescue dog, they think I'm a nice person...(if only they knew)

Thanks Paul....maybe I shouldn't spend so much time in the Simply library self diagnosing my fish! (BTW A bunch of the external links don't work in the library) The more I read, the more I think I have infected my discus tanks from my Africans...all this started when I emptied my gourami/african tanks..using same waterchange equipment.....

Calypso's eyes seem less 'marty' today..definately not worse for swelling....seem to be a little bit white round the rims where there was never any white area before, I have been watching for this after I read a similar thread....

Today, Sunday in Australia is Day 9, last day of sterazin tomorrow...fins crossed for the girls...

I can confirm what Eddie said about the dosing, or at least I can confirm it is in Andrew Soh's book (I have the same one). I've never done it that way, but that's only because I got the book for Christmas & hadn't read that part until a few days ago. It could be true he is only talking about antibiotics though - I'd have to have another read.
    Last edited by TankWatcher; 01-05-2009 at 09:12 AM.
    Cheers
    Robyn

Update on my horizontally challenged friends...

Last day of Sterazin today, Calypso's eyes looking better, will flick their lights on tomorrow and have a good look at them. Saw flukes in the water just before the water change and last dose...see how those little suckers can survive?

Like to know where the little blood worm came from seeing as I haven't fed live food for at least 6-8weeks!! I saw it in the dirty water...

Rox

Hi Rox, whatever you saw in the water was not flukes, you need a 'scope to see them as they are tiny. May well have been planaria or similar.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Roxanne - How is Calypso doing?

Terry

Hi Terry, Thanks for asking, here's an update..

Calypso's eyes have improved with each water change as far as the 'marty' look goes...they've gone back into their sockets at least..now there is a very slight whitish rim around each....she scratched her side?? but it is healing well..

Hi Paul,

Do you think I should start an anti biotic for her now or do a fluke follow up?

RE: what I called 'flukes': I have seen these little suckers before, but I thought it was filter fibre. Upon closer inspection, I realised it was wiggling...I petried it, about 10mm long(OzPom Measurement) and like a thread of cotton. I got a scope yesterday so am going to try looking at it again....I had the light switched round the wrong way and now I think I'm blind in one eye...if you don't hear back from me you'll know I burned my other retina off!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roxanne; 01-07-2009 at 02:28 AM.

Great news about Calypso (Pumpkin too).

Could the little things you see be planaria?
    http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseas...a_white_worms/

I've been told they're harmless, but a sign of possible overfeeding.
    Cheers
    Robyn

Wow Rox, those are some nice Discus!

Probably just like Robyn said, a little planaria. They are probably in every tank. Good wipe downs of the tank and WCs will cut them down. It is from overfeeding but I overfeed my fish and don't too big a planria problem.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Yeah she is gorgous huh? I love an opportunity to brag about her, but I can't take credit for her size..that's a Rod Lewis secret....

Can you see in the second picture, the part of her left eye that's showing, just at the left side of that eye? that's the "white" I was talking about. But, when they were bulging I couldn't see any white..I seriously thought they were going to pop!!

Thanks for all the support people!

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Glad she's on the improve Rox, i can see she's a bit down still, but with the eye reducing that has gotta be a positive. Breathing rate slow and steady again?

Rod

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast