ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Exophthalmia

Default Re: Exophthalmia

ladies & gentleman, the man of the moment, Mr Rod Lewis

Hi Rod

I was going to email you an update, same as what i've said above really...didn't want to bug you out on the holidays!!Paul had to put up with me instead

Yes, breathing rate has gone back to normal...phew..though I don't like the way I can still see a little bit of gill plate poking out the bottom...I thought it might need follow up fluke t'ment but don't want to start that I if have to treat for bacterial whatever..and the way Calypso has been rubbing up against stuff makes me think it isn't over yet....as happy as she is, she still seems a little bit irritated, what do you think from reading all the other crap I wrote above?

A friend of Robyn's was selling tanks very cheap so I got a 250litre(60 odd gal US) and seeing as all 6 were on the same treatment anyway, I put all 6 in it and they are SO happy together...my bossy BD doesn't know which way to look when he sees C & P coming...he looks really intimidated & nervous & i can see his knees knocking....I bleached that thing 4 times before they went in and I defy any bugs to try getting in there!!

C & P aren't hiding and sulking from me now They must feel much better They also see how excited the smaller 4 are when I go in the room, and they watch those 4 play & nip at my hand while I do WC's and stuff, so it has made C & P more confident....I am regaining my zen

Rox
    Everything goes back to the sea....Dylan

Sounds positive Rox.

Wow, you didn't muck around cleaning that tank. I will start cleaning one of mine on the weekend. Didn't yours need repainting at the back?
    Cheers
    Robyn

hi Robyn, the 5 footer wasn't painted...I felt guilty given the size of C & P in a 125litre even as a QT, they are a really big fish and I wanted the tank change to coincide with the end of fluke t'ment...so had to hustle to get it ready!! I haven't touched the reef tanks by the way....I'll pm you later..

I felt guilty given the size of C & P in a 125litre
    Know what you mean. That's what finally pushed me over the edge with the ex African Tank. Started off QT with 2 wilds in 90L. But I went back to LFS TWICE, each time getting 1 more. So 4 in 90L doesn't fit. Africans & Rocks are in a 120L storage container - waiting for the son to collect, so now the 4 new wilds are doing their QT in a more spacious 280L. ATM I have 4 temporary tanks set up (not counting new wilds or the African) 2 to QT new fish (all separate) 1 to house the recovered heckel & 1 housing sensitive species that may not like the followup PP treatment for the gill fluke tank, PLUS another container holding the substrate from the gill fluke tank & another holding the plants from the gill fluke tank. I am a bit over all these temporary water containers I'm surrounded by. Like you say, just as well they are sooo CUTE.
    Last edited by TankWatcher; 01-07-2009 at 08:37 AM.
    Cheers
    Robyn

Calypso's eyes aren't quite right still...she's not eating properly....hmmm...she and Pumpkin are twitching a bit still...no new scuff marks on Calypso and never was any on Pumpkin & she never stopped eating all the way thru treatment...which do I treat first? I really think the gills need another go! But, the eye's....Might try and get a scrape off Calypso.....

3rd pic Calypso at the front, bad pic I know but u can see what Pumpkins look like at the back, ie:normal
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roxanne; 01-07-2009 at 07:50 PM.

if you can get a scrape and 'scope it, it may give a better clue as to what we are dealing with. If it is flukes or another exxternal parasite thenmaybe something with a bit more punch than sterazin will be needed, e.g. F&MG or PP. Prazi will deal with flukes, as will flubendazole, that is if you can get it in oz.

If teh scrape comes up clear then maybe some clean water will celar the eyes up.

Could the twitching be the first signs of matingg behaviour btw??
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Thanks Paul

I've seen the mating twitch thing, they are both around 18 months old and laid lesbian eggs the first week I had them but there are usually other things going on, like colour changes, glowing tails, filter kissing etc...this is more like what it looks like if a chic were to flick her hair out of her face...she will be looking at me then she'll give her head a quick flick to one side, that's why I thought more fluke treatments....just watching them now and they are both doing it..eeeeeee

Also, when I moved them all into the 250litre, it was fresh water, I didn't carry hardly any water from the other tanks and I used filter media from unaffected tanks....been testing and everything is holding.....about to do another water change....

Rox, I have some prazi & PP on hand if you feel you need some & can't get hold of it quick enough.

Cheers, Robyn
    Cheers
    Robyn

Thanks Robyn, don't know which way to go...

I scoped the wiggly thread and it is like a worm but it has loads of legs like a caterpillar...they seem to be like spikes.......

Still trying to get a scrape off Calypso but she is being difficult & I don't want her to start thrashing!
    Last edited by Roxanne; 01-07-2009 at 09:51 PM.

Hi Rox, sounds like Planaria. I wonder if Planaria can crawl on the fish and cause them to flick and shake? I know they free float in the water. The fish see them and sometimes try to eat them.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I know nothing about scopes. Are you able to take a pic through the scope & post it here. Someone with scope & disease expertise might be able to help diagnose
    Cheers
    Robyn

It's not planaria , they don't have legs. It is probably stylaria they have hair like legs (bit like some caterpillars). Also planaria tend to stay on the surfaces (plants, tank glass etc) whilst stylaria will free swim.

Rox, get a wet towel laid out on a bench and net the fish, lay it on the wet towel and cover it with the towel, gently but firmly hold the body (hand on towel not fish) and do the scrape with your free hand. Can help to have an assistant sometimes . With practice you get so you can do the scrape in the net!

Twitches and flicks are most commonly associated with either water qiuality or an external bug. PP would not be an unreasonable course here, if in doubt. Long bath at 2ppm.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Good luck Rox. I have to do a PP on the new wilds today (one is only breathing through 1 gill)
    Cheers
    Robyn

Thanks All

Calypso & Pumpkin are looking pretty good today, bossing the littlins around a bit....they have been slam kissing the filter and shimmying but the boys in my tank are clueless! Maybe Paul is right and it's only mating behaviours, because of the recent meds I was ready to believe maybe more meds were in order...but,the gills are still hangin down a bit....I was wondering if it could be a bacteria in the gill and not fluke parasite in the gill problem.....

Hi Paul

I've been in the SD Library during the nite looking at pictures of parasites & stuff & making comparisons and I couldn't find anything that resembles what I saw, planaria didn't fit the description either..I won't say what I thought it might be, ..I'll go have a look at a pic of stylaria, cheers..

OK, The towel idea makes me feel a little more confident, what a great tip that is!How long can the fish be out of water?

I have found a really nice triscope I will order with a camera eye peice, so I can post pics (Robyn), what I have will have to do for now... ok here I go...eeeeeee...I'm scared

Rox

Update, I hade a look at stylaria, this thing here seems to look the same at both ends, have loads of spikes, and it looks like things were moving within the "thing"...eeeee
    Last edited by Roxanne; 01-08-2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: update

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne View Post
    OK, The towel idea makes me feel a little more confident, what a great tip that is!How long can the fish be out of water?
    five mins won't be a prob, but if you stay calm and plan it carefully then you will be done inside two!

I have found a really nice triscope I will order with a camera eye peice, ....
    nice! wish I could afford a new one....
    ok here I go...eeeeeee...I'm scared

Rox
    good luck
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast