ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Are redworms worth the hassle.

Default Are redworms worth the hassle.

Hello all, i was wondering if those of you who keep and feed redworms, how hard is it to maintain a worm culture and what are the down sides if any. I am thinking of starting a worm bin in my basement to feed my fish but don't know how to start. Thanks

troyclark

Registered Member

Default Re: Are redworms worth the hassle.

google vermiculture, there are many differenct ways to start a culture, the project will take patience to create a culture that will produce the quantity of worms you wish to use.

the nice thing about red wrigglers is that you can feed them at different sizes to different size fish.

they are easy to culture and feed.

Registered Member

There is no better way to get a fish to eat his veggies and his wheaties then to put them in the middle of a worm...LOL.. couple quick tips. got to love a paper shreader.... If you can't find sterile potting soil I use a turkey deep fryer and boil regular potting soil in water for about a min. If you squeeze the soil and water comes out its too wet but if it won't stay together then its to dry. good luck

I raise the worms and it's easy. Here's a link for a source. I don't remember if this is where I got mine or not. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...light=wigglers
    I fill a bin of 12 inches deep or so half-full with a mix of damp shredded newspaper and sterile potting soil. You can shred the paper by hand. I add fruit and vegetable scraps and crumpled eggs shells whenever I notice there isn't much food in the box. When the culture was new I left the worms alone for a couple of months so they could begin to reproduce. They are really hardy and not at all particular. You also might want to look into white worms. My fish like them more than the red wrigglers but because they are fatty, I only feed them once a week. I put slices of bread, oatmeal, rice, flake food, whatever, in a plastic shoe-box size bin with damp potting soil. I bought a culture on e-bay.