AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SunSun canister filter

Default SunSun canister filter

I did a search and didnt see anything on these ebay SunSun canister filters on here. I figured for 80 bucks what the heck will I get? So heres my take.

This is no Eheim! It is simply a budget canister filter. I opened the box looked at this thing over very closely. I do have to say that initially I am very impressed. The main body is made out of a good sturdy plastic and all of the fittings seem to be good and sturdy. And to my surprise the hand pump actually worked quite well to prime this thing for action. That is once I got the intake and exit correctly on!! It does not have the integrated UV sterilizer in it like the others of this kind. I wanted the most GPH I could get. I am quite sure that they are not as efficient as the specs state. And having a 30" tall tank I knew I would loose a TON of efficiency. It came with filter pads for each level of filtration, no other filter media. I replaced 3 levels with some Bio Balls. It runs incredibly quiet. I mean almost zero noise! Which to me is very important.

I am however concerned on replacement parts down the road. Filter pads are no biggie, I have scissors I will make my own. But impellers etc I am not sure about. But they have to available somewhere. Then again I know an impeller for a Magnum 350 is almost 30 bucks. So maybe an entire filter as a spare is not that bad of a deal dollar for dollar.

Bottom line....I would recommend one to a friend. For the money it seems to be a decent unit. But only time will tell

So here is a link to the listing I purchased from. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AQUARIUM-FIS...3A1|240%3A1318

Default Re: SunSun canister filter

yup, saw those too. they are very similar to the marineland c-series. I am sure you can use those impellers if it does ever need a new one.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Sunsun is a decent brand in China.
    It's not as good as eheim and fluval, but the quality is good enough!

Registered Member

BUMP

Wondered if the filter is still running. I picked one up and its working great. The parts and plastic is decent quality, and I presume the internal workings of the motor are OK.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs020294 View Post
    BUMP

Wondered if the filter is still running. I picked one up and its working great. The parts and plastic is decent quality, and I presume the internal workings of the motor are OK.
    I have been using a sun sun canister in one of my 50 G tanks for the past 1 year...didnt have any leak or other issues as of date ... holds good amount of media as well...though the model i have promotes an in built UV light..not sure if it really does its work
    SimplyDiscus --- > Simply My Discus Encyclopedia

55G Community /22G Breeder / 40G Reef

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by smiley View Post
    I have been using a sun sun canister in one of my 50 G tanks for the past 1 year...didnt have any leak or other issues as of date ... holds good amount of media as well...though the model i have promotes an in built UV light..not sure if it really does its work
    Mine has a 9w UV light, which is under powered for the volume of water. If it just prevents algae blooms I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    yup, saw those too. they are very similar to the marineland c-series. I am sure you can use those impellers if it does ever need a new one.

Eddie
    There were some people on other forums suggesting they are exactly the same!

The models with UV built in, looks a lot like these ones.

I've been wanting to switch to canister for a while and I might give this a shot.

There's a lot more reviews/info on plantedtank.net! Worth a read.

Registered Member

Hi,

In my 55G tank i have a fluval 205 and a sunsun 302, the sunsun has more than a year and it works fine. It's not an Eheim or a Fluval, but it does what its got to do.

Inside i have 7 Discus, 3 Adults, 2 juvis(3") and 2 babys(2"), the only problem i had with the water were nitrates, but it had to do with the tap water.

Know its everything fine.
    I would recomend it.

Quote Originally Posted by NunoDinis View Post
    It's not an Eheim or a Fluval, but it does what its got to do.
    Considering I never got an Eheim or Fluval (or canister for that matter), what do you mean exactly? Lack of features? Build quality?

thanks

I look at it this way. If I can save a 2-300bux on a filter that does exactly the same thing as the Eheim I am gonna save that money! I gambled on this filter and it has paid off well. My life and finances dont revolve around a rectangle of h2o in my living room...It revolves around my Audi and my family.
    Jarred

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhog05 View Post
    I look at it this way. If I can save a 2-300bux on a filter that does exactly the same thing as the Eheim I am gonna save that money! I gambled on this filter and it has paid off well. My life and finances dont revolve around a rectangle of h2o in my living room...It revolves around my Audi and my family.
    Well, yeah. If it does exactly the same thing, it's a no-brainer. But when I read it's not an eheim/fluval, I take it there's some kind of trade off. It would be good to know that, because if it's just some features, I'd be fine as long as it does the main job. But if it's build quality, a leaky filter could mean disaster.

Registered Member

We have them over here now too. Everyone who has them says they are great. I, stupidly, got some of the Jebo 810 - 815 units a few years back and they are rubbish. Noisey and cant stop them leaking.

I will be getting a sunsun unit soon to replace my glued up and taped together Jebo's
    The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face!

Registered Member

FYI - SunSun makes JBJ products and Marineland series filters. You've gotta dig deep to find that particular info though.
    I have this filter and it's great, did a lot of research before buying it. I wouldn't bother getting the one with the UV filter because 9 watts isn't going to be effective at killing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by lkc View Post
    FYI - SunSun makes JBJ products and Marineland series filters. You've gotta dig deep to find that particular info though.
    I have this filter and it's great, did a lot of research before buying it. I wouldn't bother getting the one with the UV filter because 9 watts isn't going to be effective at killing anything.
    Good to know....I am thinking about getting one for extra filtration for my 60 gal tank....
    Javier

Just an update...I bought 3 more for other projects. Still runs strong. I have had zero problems and am more that happy with the build quality the fact I have had zero leaks and the one thing I did hate about this filter was the pump action to get the siphon going. Well after many many filter cleanings it dawned on me to just use my python with a shorter hose and fill the filter that way through the opening of the lid where the hoses snap into place
    Jarred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast