ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus lethargic with dorsal fin clamped..

Question Discus lethargic with dorsal fin clamped..

I've had my blue diamonds since about August or so and one of them is a little lethargic with his anal and dorsal fins clamped. He just kind of swims in a suspended manor in the same spot, unless it's feeding time. One minute I think he's sick and then the next he might be chasing someone, or eating fine. Can't really tell if he's dark, no darker than normal I guess (I have a black background). I've treated the tank with General Cure just to make sure. I did a large water change after the second treatment and waited a few days and then yesterday started a treatment with Metro. The metro seems to be hard on my guys, so I'm wondering whether to keep it up with the metro after another water change today (my blue turk seem to be breathing harder after I treated with Metro) or should I do my water change today and wait a few more days and start with another round of General Cure?

My blue diamond is still eating, but he won't touch my ON flake. He still gobbles up FBW & FBS, but that's pretty much it. I did take a plant out of the tank recently and added some driftwood (after boiling the crap out of it) in the last week.

Here are my current water parameters: NO3<5, NO2 0, pH 6, KH 0, GH <20

I used to buy RO water but now have my own RO unit that works better, but this has been going on before I started using my own RO water.

I'm thinking it might be flukes, but I don't have a microscope to be able to tell for sure. But wouldn't a treatment of general cure irradiate that??
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO-qS0DvBgE

Default Re: Discus lethargic with dorsal fin clamped..

You could mix the metro into a solution and soak the FBW's for a few hours. Meds in food are more effective for internal issues.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Once you start a course of treatment with an anti biotic you should really see the course through. Metro will only treat internal flagellates, it will have very little effect on flukes.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

FLGirl1977,

Paul is right, if it is flukes, you won't be treating the culprit but if you suspect something internal, API General Cure is a mixture of Metro and Prazi. This knocks out both internal and external parasites. Not all, but flukes can be dealt with Prazi. The one issue you will have is the long drawn out treatment for flukes. I wouldn't want to treat with metro for 21 days. If you really suspect flukes, PraziPro is your ticket.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Quote Originally Posted by FLGirl1977 View Post
    I've had my blue diamonds since about August or so and one of them is a little lethargic with his anal and dorsal fins clamped. He just kind of swims in a suspended manor in the same spot, unless it's feeding time. One minute I think he's sick and then the next he might be chasing someone, or eating fine. Can't really tell if he's dark, no darker than normal I guess (I have a black background). I've treated the tank with General Cure just to make sure. I did a large water change after the second treatment and waited a few days and then yesterday started a treatment with Metro. The metro seems to be hard on my guys, so I'm wondering whether to keep it up with the metro after another water change today (my blue turk seem to be breathing harder after I treated with Metro) or should I do my water change today and wait a few more days and start with another round of General Cure?

My blue diamond is still eating, but he won't touch my ON flake. He still gobbles up FBW & FBS, but that's pretty much it. I did take a plant out of the tank recently and added some driftwood (after boiling the crap out of it) in the last week.

Here are my current water parameters: NO3<5, NO2 0, pH 6, KH 0, GH <20

I used to buy RO water but now have my own RO unit that works better, but this has been going on before I started using my own RO water.

I'm thinking it might be flukes, but I don't have a microscope to be able to tell for sure. But wouldn't a treatment of general cure irradiate that??

Are you mixing your RO with tap water or just using RO? Personally I step up water changes to see if it has an effect on the diacus. After a few daily water changes, if things are still not up to par, let the meds begin! The reason that I ask about your water mix is that your Kh is 0. I like to have at least 1 to 2 in my tanks. Mixing RO with tap will typically achieve that. Sometimes I do put a bit of baking soda in to supplement. This will likely bring your Ph up a couple of points, but won't harm your discus. Best wishes!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by avionics30 View Post
    Are you mixing your RO with tap water or just using RO? Personally I step up water changes to see if it has an effect on the diacus. After a few daily water changes, if things are still not up to par, let the meds begin! The reason that I ask about your water mix is that your Kh is 0. I like to have at least 1 to 2 in my tanks. Mixing RO with tap will typically achieve that. Sometimes I do put a bit of baking soda in to supplement. This will likely bring your Ph up a couple of points, but won't harm your discus. Best wishes!
    avionics30 I think you may have it.......this probably isn't a bug problem at all but pH swinging all over the place since there's no KH......

I don't know...wouldn't all the fish be skittish if it was the PH swinging everywhere. Being that it is isolated to one fish leads me far away from the water. It could very well be the water combined with an illness and that one fish is the only carrier.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

So I'm going to do another 70% water change today (did the same yesterday).... should I dose more Metro??

What about the Prazi??

I guess I'm worried what to do next because I know if it's something serious, time is of the essense. I know you can't mix meds, so that's another thing I'm concerned about.

Without a microscope I'm going into this blind. He's still eating, so that's a good thing, but I don't want it to get to the point of being irreversible. I decided to treat the entire tank to keep the others from getting it. Should I put him in my quarrantine tank and treat seperately or continue with the entire tank?

About the RO water... We're going to the LFS today to pick up Kent Marine Powdered RO Right 1000g to add to our RO water. I don't trust our tap water mixed in with the RO water for anything! Our water is SO horrible, you can't even drink it when you're REALLY thirsty! lol.... so I definitely wouldn't be giving that to my fish...

If I go the salt route, how much safely per 10 gallons? Keep in mind I have tetras and BN pleco too...

Thanks so much for all of the advice so far... I just want to have some guidance before I do anything else today.
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

FLGirl,
    I maybe speaking out of line here since you have some real knowledgeable members helping you already, but I would get your source water conditioned properly and under control(stable) then start a steady routine of water changes. I do not think adding chemicals to an unknown problem will do anything but stress the already stressed fish. just my thoughts.

Kenny

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    I don't know...wouldn't all the fish be skittish if it was the PH swinging everywhere. Being that it is isolated to one fish leads me far away from the water. It could very well be the water combined with an illness and that one fish is the only carrier.

Eddie

Not necessarily...everyone and every fish is different and react different...we've got another snow storm coming on Monday...I'm depressed, my sister is delighted they're going sking.........

Quote Originally Posted by acroken View Post
    FLGirl,
    I maybe speaking out of line here since you have some real knowledgeable members helping you already, but I would get your source water conditioned properly and under control(stable) then start a steady routine of water changes. I do not think adding chemicals to an unknown problem will do anything but stress the already stressed fish. just my thoughts.

Kenny
    No, you're definitely not speaking out of line here. I completely open to any advice given. I'm not a professional when it comes to water, and I've only started keeping discus since Aug. of last year... I've always bought my RO water until recently and that very well could be the problem. I'm definitely taking anything into consideration, considering I've had these guys since I've started and just now they are acting out of the ordinary.

We are going to make a trip to the LFS and pick up that RO perfect and try and stabilize my RO water a bit more. BTW, I do 70% water changes usually once every 3 days since I only have my 3 guys in a 40 gallon, the NO3 never moves at all practically since it's so low, but I feel better giving them clean water that often.

It very well could be a water issue, it's just another learning curve to this hobby and I appreciate and respect everyone here with the knowledge and know-how to teach me as much as my brain can absorb!
    Renee'
    Today I'm feeling:

FLGirl,
    I think you would have better luck if you changed 25% everyday instead of 70% everyday. It would not be such a drastic change in the water parameters and also help control the bio load. I know it sound like a lot of work but you will be amazed at how fast you can change water with practice.LOL. I have learned the hard way never to trust the water company and there tap water, so i also use 100% ro and add kent's ro right to suite.

Kenny

Registered Member

Hi folks,
    My discus pair ( I have 4 in a 78 gallon aquarium) is mostly found in a corner with fins clamped a little.They are eating and chasing each other perfectly. Is it a mating behavior ?