AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my Ebo Jager stopped working

Default my Ebo Jager stopped working

ive been using two 200W ebo jager heaters for less than 6 months that i got from jehmco..this is not a bad review about jehmco btw. im just upset that they gave up on me abit too soon. before purchasing anything, i always read people's thoughts about about a particular product and was convinced that this heater would last me a long time...soooo, maybe im doing something wrong, i totally sink the heater underwater, like what most of "us" do...but the directions did say that you shouldnt....do you think that might be the reason my heater broke on me?? im browsing right now for new heaters and im not sure if i should still go for ebo jager whatcha think??
    benedict

Real Name
    Walter

Default Re: my Ebo Jager stopped working

Did you try re-calibrating the heaters?

Walter
    Walter

recalibrating?? sorry, i threw the box out and never really read it...
    benedict

Hey Walter, thats a super nifty little post for people needing to calibrate their Jagers. It's been coming up alot lately. Maybe a sticky is in order.

Great post
    Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Smile Re: my Ebo Jager stopped working

Way too complicated a heater...whatever happened to reliability and simplicity? mike

Registered Member

My Ebo was purchased this past October from Jhemco as well, who by the way are great to deal with! I recently had problems with it sticking on. I recalibrated it, set it at the tank temp which at that time was 84. Then next day it was up to 86 which I felt was fine for the Discus so didn't mess with it. By the way, I recalibrated it a few times. For a few days it's remained at 86 and now this morning it is at 88. I've never had a heater do this before. While I've heard great things about Ebo's, I'm not sure that I would buy another one. We are going away towards the end of the month and I don't think I can trust this heater in my tank while I am gone so will likely put a Vis Therm in there.

I too am curious, how important is it that you don't submerse this heater below the line it says? I've always heard you could submerse them all of the way, maybe that was incorrect info?

Anna

Hey Anna,

You can submerse them, call Eheim and they will explain it. The thing I find wrong with the Jagers is that some of the heaters are no where near what the dial says. If you have 86 on the dial but getting 88, drop it down to 84. Once you get them set to reach the desired temp of the tank, they will stick. Don't trust the dial.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    Hey Anna,

You can submerse them, call Eheim and they will explain it. The thing I find wrong with the Jagers is that some of the heaters are no where near what the dial says. If you have 86 on the dial but getting 88, drop it down to 84. Once you get them set to reach the desired temp of the tank, they will stick. Don't trust the dial.

Eddie
    Hi Eddie,

I did have this Ebo set at 84 all along, even after calibrating it, then the tank went to 86 degrees which I thought was okay so long as it stayed there even though the heater was set at 84. Then this morning the temp in the tank was 88. Remember also last week for no reason, this heater stuck on and raised the temp to 92! I'll see what it reads tomorrow. I just did a big water change. I've never seen a heater fluxuate like this!

Anna

Yeah, thats strange. Once I get mine set, I never have to touch them, ever!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

Ebo Jager are not made like they use to be. Any readjustment to the dial is not
    a good sign, it may be stuck on high(cook fish).

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by aquadiva View Post
    My Ebo was purchased this past October from Jhemco as well, who by the way are great to deal with! I recently had problems with it sticking on. I recalibrated it, set it at the tank temp which at that time was 84. Then next day it was up to 86 which I felt was fine for the Discus so didn't mess with it. By the way, I recalibrated it a few times. For a few days it's remained at 86 and now this morning it is at 88. I've never had a heater do this before. While I've heard great things about Ebo's, I'm not sure that I would buy another one. We are going away towards the end of the month and I don't think I can trust this heater in my tank while I am gone so will likely put a Vis Therm in there.

I too am curious, how important is it that you don't submerse this heater below the line it says? I've always heard you could submerse them all of the way, maybe that was incorrect info?

Anna
    hi anna, have you tried calling jehmco? maybe they can return or exchange it for another one?? i saw the note on walter's post that theres a three year warranty....?
    benedict

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Ebo Jager are not made like they use to be. Any readjustment to the dial is not
    a good sign, it may be stuck on high(cook fish).

Cliff
    Hi Cliff,

That's very true. It's a lab variable calibrated bimetalical contact and when it has to be readjusted it means that one or both of the metals got affected mainly oxidized by water leaking in that case, it drives to a technical disability of any involved electrical aplication. When it happens to me that heater goes to trash.

Guillermo

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by gotfish? View Post
    hi anna, have you tried calling jehmco? maybe they can return or exchange it for another one?? i saw the note on walter's post that theres a three year warranty....?
    Hello and yes I did call Jehmco but they said Eheim doesn't make it real easy anymore to get the warranty so I took that as they'd rather not deal with my returning it though they didn't say it so many words and I didn't press the issue. Instead I was told how to recalibrate it and if this doesn't work, I could call Jehmco back and see what they say about returning it. The company that makes it should just stick by their warranty!

Anna

Quote Originally Posted by aquadiva View Post
    Hello and yes I did call Jehmco but they said Eheim doesn't make it real easy anymore to get the warranty so I took that as they'd rather not deal with my returning it though they didn't say it so many words and I didn't press the issue. Instead I was told how to recalibrate it and if this doesn't work, I could call Jehmco back and see what they say about returning it. The company that makes it should just stick by their warranty!

Anna
    Definitely! I'd call eheim and complain...maybe you'll get better customer service.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

gwaaad this is so fraustrating... how did the recalibrating went?? did the heater started working again??...can anyone help me out on how to recalibrate??
    benedict

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast