AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: overfeeding discus?

Registered Member
    From Chicago, Central Michigan University during the school year.

Default overfeeding discus?

Is it possible to be overfeeding my 2 1/2 inch discus. As long as they are willing to eat everything I put in the tank, am I ok to be feeding them 4 to 5 cubes of blood worms for just the two of them in a day? Looking for some advice. Thanks.

Blake

Registered Member

Default Re: overfeeding discus?

if they can finish within 5-10min, sure why not! but dont let the FBW sitting in the tank for too long, cause Im sure you dont want to mess up your water quality!

Registered Member

They seem to be able to finish anything I put in there before it even hits the ground. They will come eat it right out of my hand until I stop feeding them!

Real Name
    Ricardo

i'm sure most discus will eat FBW any time you throw them in there but the reality of it is that it's not advisable to do so. mix up their diet and you will see better results. try some flakes and pellets. if you want to get real advance and want to really beef them up then try some beefheart or some seafood mix that Eddie makes. hope that helps

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    i'm sure most discus will eat FBW any time you throw them in there but the reality of it is that it's not advisable to do so. mix up their diet and you will see better results. try some flakes and pellets. if you want to get real advance and want to really beef them up then try some beefheart or some seafood mix that Eddie makes. hope that helps
    That's true, they should be fed a varied diet at least 6 times per day, which is why many do BB tanks and massive amounts of WCs. Also, juvie discus many times have trouble digesting FBW and so it is not really a good food for juvies. Beefheart, Mysis Shrimp, flakes, pellets etc. would be much better choices.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Registered Member

Thanks. Everyone in my tank gets bloodworms everyday, danichi color fx, and a mix of aquadine. Seems that my discus are only interested in the bloodworms though (and I imagine they will be as long as I keep regularly feeding them the bloodworms).

Registered Member Peachtree Discus's Avatar

i have been thinking about this topic recently. someone made the comment that those huge monster size discus tend to be lethargic, non-breeding adults. is that because they are the equivalent of a 450 pound human? i would guess that proper nutrition is probably the key, but ...let me pose a question...

assuming he is getting all the nutritional requirements - does the little fat kid not reach his full potential because of his weight?
    Wes (FishFlakes)
    "Lifes a game but its not fair, I break the rules so I dont care,
    ...so I keep doin my own thing - walkin tall against the rain"

Registered Member

Yes you can. Just watch their stomachs to see if it's distended. Try to feed them a cube once every 3 hours. I start with a cube at 12pm, then at 3pm, 6pm, 9pm & 2 cubes at 12pm (7 cubes). I end the night with 2 cubes since they won't be eating for the rest of the night and they will have sometime to digest the food.

There are quite a few threads about FBW as the only diet for discus. It is not recommended. FBWs should only supplement a proper diet if at all. I see them as potato chips for humans. You know of any healthy people that eat only potato chips all day everyday.....hell no.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."